Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2024, 10:49   #1

Boat: 26' Trailer Sailer
Packing for families

This is an incredibly boring topic, but I figure you guys have come up with a great solution for this and I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

What's the best method for packing for a family of four on a small (26') sailing boat with limited storage?

My wife had originally purchased a bunch of plastic totes, but I find the hard sides and rectangular shape difficult to maneuver and store/secure around the boat. What I'm considering is some matching duffels. One for each person with their personal effects, towels, water bottles etcetera. Then one soft sided tote bag for sundries, and a cooler. The duffels would be easy for each individual to carry on their own, prevents overpacking (if it doesn't fit you can't bring it), and easy to store and move around the boat. For context, we are primarily weekend cruisers on a large inland lake, never out more than three days in a row.

Are there any systems that are proven to be more effective? I appreciate getting to tap into the collective experience here!
trswem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 10:52   #2

Re: Packing for families

Totes dont work well unless you are storing stuff in like the quarter berth, or cockpit locker etc.
Bags/duffels work and conform to the shape of the storage area.
One of those 'back of door' canvas shoe storing devices works well on a cabinet/hanging locker door for all kinds of things.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 13:27   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Trswem we have 5 of these and the fifth one is full of snorkel equipment. They seem to keep the contents dry and stow away fairly easily. They're well built and don't seem to leak when full of wet flippers and masks.
Cheers
https://www.mountaindesigns.com/equi...fle/BP90140977
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 13:51   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I agree, duffle bags, one per person. 50 l. capacity may be more than you need for the kids, but depends on their sizes. Having them different colors might help at a glance, unless you prefer for them to all be the same, then colored velcro wire tags will provide a clue.

Ann
Old Yesterday, 11:19   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 40 (reverse Rhodes Reliant)

I'm working on the same thing and I'm in nearly the same situation as you. I think you have a great plan with the soft duffels, etc. In lieu of the standard canvas tote bag, I have some from LL Bean that are synthetic with a rubberized (vinyl?) coating inside and a zipper close that keeps things dry when going to and from the boat. A hard cooler is preferable to me as they usually have better insulating qualities than the soft coolers and you can't squash the produce when piling things up.

I'd love to make or find basic rectangular duffels (like the SailRite ones), rather than use the typical cylindrical duffels.

I hope it goes well!
LongHeeled is offline   Reply With Quote