Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 19:54   #16
cruiser

Re: Pets overboard?

A tether and life jacket are an absolute must at all times. I had a bad situation happen on our boat a few years ago when a fellow who lives on a boat with his dog came aboard for a day sail and insisted his dog didn't need a pfd or leash.

With the boat well-heeled over and about two miles out on a windy day, first the pooch fell overboard, then the fellow who was fully clothed jumped in after the dog, during March when the Pacific ocean is cold and without a pfd... Leaving only me on board to save the two of them. Very ugly.

Fortunately, it ended well with both being rescued.

If you care for your animals, zeehag has it right in the previous post.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 20:12   #17

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdives View Post
SVNeko, they learned early that they could get their heads through the small openings at the cleats. If you are asking about our Kelsall cat we love it. It was a charter version with 4 berths and 3 heads but was never chartered. We gutted most of it and did everything the way we wanted it. She's not fast like our 42' Norman Cross trimaran was but she has a lot more room.
Actually, I was asking about the anchor I see on the bow. The boat looks good and strong with plenty of room for those pups to run around. One thing not overboard related is training them to go on a mat. Do this while you are still on land. For the longest time Lucy refused to go on a nice mat I made for her. It is a kennel cage pan with astroturf glued to the bottom. I drilled a hole in a corner and reinforced it with fender washers glued on both sides. This allows it to be dipped over to be cleaned. Problem was she refused to use it. We tried everything, including catching some of her pee to put on it. Finally, we put some sod on it and that did the trick. Now I think she just thinks the grass is still there.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 20:20   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Actually, I was asking about the anchor I see on the bow. The boat looks good and strong with plenty of room for those pups to run around. One thing not overboard related is training them to go on a mat. Do this while you are still on land. For the longest time Lucy refused to go on a nice mat I made for her. It is a kennel cage pan with astroturf glued to the bottom. I drilled a hole in a corner and reinforced it with fender washers glued on both sides. This allows it to be dipped over to be cleaned. Problem was she refused to use it. We tried everything, including catching some of her pee to put on it. Finally, we put some sod on it and that did the trick. Now I think she just thinks the grass is still there.

That's the thing -- to US astroturf looks like grass. To a dog it must really feel bizarre. Also I would urge considering where that spot should be. I know someone whose dog went potty on the bow. One day she fell in -- and he jumped right in after her, leaving his girlfriend to handle a 47' schooner by herself to rescue them -- in fog. fortunately she had the sense to take a compass reading, and managed to turn the boat 180º. It took a couple of passes, but he was finally able to grab the dinghy they were towing. The dog climbed up his back into the dinghy and he climbed in afterwards.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:55   #19

Boat: CSY 44 Cutter

We use harnesses and jack lines for us AND the dogs when out at sea. If the dogs leave the cockpit for any reason they are also in their lifejackets as well. I have heard way to many sad stories to ever let them roam free of safety unless at the dock or at anchor and we are there and watching... Otherwise it has been a wonderful choice that we cruise with dogs since other boats have been boarded in suspect areas in Central America but ours was always safe.. guess they don't like dogs....
Turtlegrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pets, overboard