Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2013, 10:15   #1

Pilothouse Sailboat Bright and Airy (Good for Wife?)

I stayed aboard our 272 Oday with my wife and 2 kids for about a month at a marina, we are looking for a little larger boat, not necessarily to live on yet, but just allow a little more space. I like the Nauticat 33 pilothouse. I have read countless forums regarding the inherent sailing limitations of a "motor sailor". The question is in regards to the pilothouse itself. My wife has depression and I can tell that being on a boat exposed to sunshine she feels much better. I feel like a pilothouse allows her to spend more time being above the water line with large open windows compared to being down below in a typical monohull (can't afford a catamaran) she likes the idea and feels like it will be a nice sunroom for her to sit and relax. It seems an added benefit is on rainy or cold days we are still exposed to more light than we would when cooped up down below. We may liveaboard in the future and we would get a larger boat but I really like this nauticat 33. Any thoughts on pilothouse sailboats improving your mood due to more light?

Thanks
From a husband that has a wife who is willing to liveaboard in a few years, trying to make her happy.
Thebriansnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:27   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Pilothouse Sailboat Bright and Airy (Good for Wife?)

If your wife has a mild case of seasonal affective disorder, then the extra light afforded by the pilot house might help her. But do you really know what she has? Symptoms of depression, mild hypoglycemia, chronic fatigue syndrome and SAD can present very similarly. What will most likely afford her and you the most relief would be a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Just getting a boat with more light seems to me a wonderful thing to do, but a little like trying to treat shrapnel wounds with bandaids: lots more is indicated.

Just my two cents' worth.

Ann
Old 15-08-2013, 10:31   #3

Thanks Ann, we have been to a doctor and she has been treated for it. We have noticed a definite improvement in mood when sailing, presumably due to increased sunlight. (Bit of s.a.d. Along with general depression)
Thanks again for your opinion.
Thebriansnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:35   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I sailed a bigger nauticat (36 or 38) from Guatemala to Isla Mujeras. They do feel I bit top heavy, so you reef early. But they are solid vessels, dont get tossed around. The boat itself was really well put together, and yes very nice to have an almost 360 view of the ocean, I even think it had a big clear sunroof( deadlight) in the pilothouse. Systems were well thought out and easy to get to from what I remember.
Hope that helps
Old 15-08-2013, 10:38   #5

They most definitely "feel" better than the typical teak palace in a cave. Sitting at the table looking out at the harbor drinking your morning hot cup is very pleasant in a pilot house or trawler.... even if it's grey or raining... not all "pilot houses" are the same though. The ones I like have the settee, table and even galley up. Basically you only have to go into the "cave" to pee or sleep!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:43   #6

HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 07:48   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I sailed a bigger nauticat (36 or 38) from Guatemala to Isla Mujeras. They do feel I bit top heavy, so you reef early. But they are solid vessels, dont get tossed around. The boat itself was really well put together, and yes very nice to have an almost 360 view of the ocean, I even think it had a big clear sunroof( deadlight) in the pilothouse. Systems were well thought out and easy to get to from what I remember.
Hope that helps
While I don't have S.A.D. (as far as I know! I'm cranky year-around...), I do have a large and well-lit pilothouse in a boat that resembles a steel, stretched version of the Nauticat 33, with a less varnish-intensive interior.

And I would agree with your basic premise. A pilothouse allows four-season sailing and gets you out of the wind and weather while still permitting control of the boat.

The Nauticat 33 itself looks great, and has a very good reputation. but as has been pointed out, they want a bit of wind to get going. That said, I am a firm believer that practice and finesse can get any boat going optimally, even a tubby motorsailer, and that it is quite possible to make it a "sailer-motor", if you catch my drift, by refining one's sailing and refusing to motor unless sail-only SOG falls beneath 4 knots or some arbitrary and walking-pace-like number.

Frankly, that's the trade-off. Time for comfort!

On the other hand, Nauticats, being appealling to retirees unreconciled to trawler purchases, command a premium (like C&Cs, still) beyond what may be their intrinsic worth. You may wish to cast a farther net for a pilothouse sloop, cutter or ketch that will meet your needs and yet be a boat your family can grow into. The price of a Nauticat could buy a lot more boat...along with a larger pilothouse. Mine has a dayberth and two pilot berths, meaning it's the most popular spot aboard!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 08:07   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello again Brian,

Something else that might help when you have a boat, is a lot of extra lighting in the frequency ranges large that have been shown to help the most, perhaps only in "her spot." It will mean you'll need a large battery bank!

Ann
Old 10-09-2013, 17:38   #9

Hi Brian- I am new to the sail world after being brought up on power boats with ample windows and light. My husband has always sailed and recently we purchased our first sailboat together! We were leaning towards a catamaran just for the openness and light- after that I preferred the motor sailors and such- until I walked onto our deck salon. We ended up with 2002 jeanneau 43 ds- I fell in love instantly. If your wife is happy with a view and letting the sun in- like I am- and you love to sail- i suggest you look into a deck salon of some sort as well. I have windows all around. I swear it's a cross between a cat and a sailboat- we love it. And yes- we are a bit higher off the water- and it can have a bit of drag due to its sheer mass- but today we were cruising at 7.6 knots- not so bad. Just another avenue to look at! Good luck!

Monica
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat