Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 15:40   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Positive advice for dealing with hyper grandson when sailing on catamaran

These may help too:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-175396.html

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruising with Kids
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:43   #32

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

We had the two Grandkids on our Dufour 35 yesterday in Sydney harbour.
PFD's mandatory, but we bought ski vests rather than the collared versions and we got them to try them out in our swimming pool so they were confident should they fall off.
We have a boarding ladder which we leave down at all times at anchor. One adult to be ready to dive overboard at any time, no wallet, camera or mobile phone in pockets! We do take lots of photos and then make up a PDF book telling the story of their day out, which often gets taken to kindy and read out for news.
Fishing lines, rods keep them busy for a few hours, but you need to make sure that there is a chance of catching a fish, we toss all back anyway.
Boat is the BEST cubby house, hide a few treats in easy to find places, get the kids to help find stuff you need
We have a kayak and an inflatable dinghy, even the 4 year old was happy to paddle with his dad on the kayak. 6YO happy to swim to the beach 150M away with mum in the water and granddad rowing in the dinghy. BTW prop guards on outboard props mandatory with little kids in the water near tenders and dinghys.
Our six year old grandson Ben sleeps over on our mooring in Double Bay and wakes at 0600 desperate to fish.
First times should be reasonably short, kids get bored quickly
Sam - (4 YO) packed a backpack of books and games and was happy to go below for a rest in the forward cabin. No screens, IPADS, or computers on board and if we could ban the wives and mothers from using their phones (I wish) would be better.
Both kids helped drop and lift the anchor
Second earlier comments about steering, or even controlling the autopilot, Mr 6YO loves to steer, and is happy to wind the Genoa winches when sailing under headsail alone.
You really need to invest the time to make sure that they have a great time early and you will have a sailing mate for ever
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:02   #33

OK. I am clearly not an expert ..... but.

Sit the child down (or strap him into a bosun's chair lifted to your head height) and explain to him the Fibonacci numbers and then ask him to find any internal relationships between any three consecutive terms. Or better still, start telling him about your own heroic exploits. (Extreme exaggeration is mandatory.)

Or ask him to show that this year, 2017 is a prime number.

Or read him some of Lewis Carroll's poetry.

Or show him your one and only card trick and ask him to do it in front of the crew.

Very quickly, he may just wander off, or better still, go to sleep! Or you could just leave him in the chair!

(He may just refuse to leave his mother's side to prevent any more of your ramblings.)
Grandparents can be a central component of the "beware of the old folks" warnings often issued to children.

You don't necessarily have to pander to his wants.

As I said, I am not an expert, (But my wife is, in most things.)

Between you and me, I suspect some of the other prof-erred advice may also work.

Hope this helps.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:30   #34

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
OK. I am clearly not an expert ..... but.

Sit the child down (or strap him into a bosun's chair lifted to your head height) and explain to him the Fibonacci numbers and then ask him to find any internal relationships between any three consecutive terms. Or better still, start telling him about your own heroic exploits. (Extreme exaggeration is mandatory.)

Or ask him to show that this year, 2017 is a prime number.

Or read him some of Lewis Carroll's poetry.

Or show him your one and only card trick and ask him to do it in front of the crew.

Very quickly, he may just wander off, or better still, go to sleep! Or you could just leave him in the chair!

(He may just refuse to leave his mother's side to prevent any more of your ramblings.)
Grandparents can be a central component of the "beware of the old folks" warnings often issued to children.

You don't necessarily have to pander to his wants.

As I said, I am not an expert, (But my wife is, in most things.)

Between you and me, I suspect some of the other prof-erred advice may also work.

Hope this helps.
Actually! Putting the kids in a bosun's chair and hoisting them to the first spreader is a special treat for them! I forgot that bit. I've got quite a few pics of grinning imps at the first spreader. (two halyards one on the chair and the other on the harness just as for me.)
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 19:25   #35

Boat: Manta, Mark IV, 42' - Hakuna Matata

Lots of great suggestions. We live aboard with an active 6 year old boy (and 2 girls, equally active 9 & 11). I have found the two toys that he will sit and work with the longest are magnetic tiles (which they all play with for hours) and anything he can take apart/dismantle.

Best wishes for a fun adventure for all!
Hakuna Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 23:08   #36

Boat: Volkscruiser

We are currently at anchor with a 9 & 6 year old on board. Today we got a 4 hour sail in and then a long walk on the beach and a swim. Right now they are writing about all their adventures and colouring in. Lego is also a winner for us.
Have you seen these log books? Logbook For Children | Children's Books | Shop | RYA
Yesterday at the marina they each had a marina trolley to take things to the yacht and then they filled the water tanks and put their own clothes away. Jonah (9) helps with anchoring, hoisting sails etc. He also starts and stops the engine and knows to check the water coming out of the exhuast. Both kids have earned themselves a portable DVD player this year by being able to tie a bowline and reef knot. Pippi (6), still needs a slight hand but can repeat the mantra for tieing the knots.
As for rules unless your grandson is slow to learn I think he will catch on to what he can and cannot do. Our rules are hold on and wear a life jacket in the dinghy.
Good Luck
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 23:20   #37

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

Hi
I agree with all that has already been said, except perhaps the 'keep watching him every second'. Well intentioned, for sure, but impossible in practise on anything longer than a very short trip. An alarm fixed to his Pfd which sounds in the boat if he ends up more than x metres from the base station (i.e. Overboard!) might give that little extra reassurance.
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 00:40   #38

Boat: Maverick 440 ( ordered )

One of my 3 boys was hyper. Teaching a few simple knots pre trip and having a who can tie the fastest knot appealed to his competitive style , if coastal cruising spotting landmarks. Make a paper boat and drop from front to back. All will last a short time . We used life jackets always and if weather calm no harness and careful watching. Slightly rough harness with low threshold for confined to cabin with Audiobooks, toys and yes handheld games machine and laptop video ( treat when on board)
KEEP crossings short always explore destination.
Skylarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:08   #39

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

We have very active 5 and 9 year olds. Some wonderful ideas above and could I add, we've found the Crewfit 150N Junior a great bit of kit. It's a PFD and harness in one ( the only one we could find for kids) and they're comfy too.
Our rules are pfd on whenever out of the cabin, and clipped on by an adult if they want to leave the floor of the cockpit.
They both love helming( with varying degrees of supervision ) and we found they took to it better than many adults. Gentle hands.
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:24   #40

Boat: Schionning GForce 17c

Big thank you for all the interesting and diverse ideas and suggestions. Lots to work with there. Looking forward to put them into practice in the near future.
Cheers
Gaye
WildFireAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:31   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskip View Post
We have very active 5 and 9 year olds. Some wonderful ideas above and could I add, we've found the Crewfit 150N Junior a great bit of kit. It's a PFD and harness in one ( the only one we could find for kids) and they're comfy too.
Our rules are pfd on whenever out of the cabin, and clipped on by an adult if they want to leave the floor of the cockpit.
They both love helming( with varying degrees of supervision ) and we found they took to it better than many adults. Gentle hands.
Thanks for the great tip. Where did you find them, or will I just google? I have looked at the Baltic range recently and I think they include the harness too. I like the idea of it being all in one as I think wearing the life jacket is going to be the first stumbling block - 🙄 - I can just hear it now now - "we can swim you know" lol.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:35   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Positive advice for dealing with hyper grandson when sailing on catamaran

Lots of info regarding keeping them amused.. and harnesses.. and the obvious life jacket.
However no one seems to have mentioned something that will give him the freedom to wander the decks unhindered safely in fair weather and mild sea's adding to his sea legs, balance and confidence.. and if he wakes and wanders while all others are asleep below.. the same.
Back in the day folks would invest in netting.. string it along the guardrails and secure at the toerail.. greatly minimises the odds of kids.. or anyone else for that matter going over the side..
Some used to blather on about the 'windage affecting performance'.. but I guess it boils down to which represents more value.. looks and a 1/4-1/2 a knot extra or.. the life/lives of ones kids.
Its sold in rolls at suitable width for purpose.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:41   #43

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

Hi Gaye,
We got ours at BCF, but I just had a quick look and couldn't see them. I'm sure the racer type chandlers would be able to find them. I've worn the adult size Crewfits and they were great too.
Happy days
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:32   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lots of info regarding keeping them amused.. and harnesses.. and the obvious life jacket.
However no one seems to have mentioned something that will give him the freedom to wander the decks unhindered safely in fair weather and mild sea's adding to his sea legs, balance and confidence.. and if he wakes and wanders while all others are asleep below.. the same.
Back in the day folks would invest in netting.. string it along the guardrails and secure at the toerail.. greatly minimises the odds of kids.. or anyone else for that matter going over the side..
Some used to blather on about the 'windage affecting performance'.. but I guess it boils down to which represents more value.. looks and a 1/4-1/2 a knot extra or.. the life/lives of ones kids.
Its sold in rolls at suitable width for purpose.
Hey I resemble/resent that remark! Oh wait I am old.... Mentioned the netting above.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:49   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Hey I resemble/resent that remark! Oh wait I am old.... Mentioned the netting above.
Lol yes I think it's been mentioned a couple of times but like you I am getting older and need reminders. 😂 Lol. I will add to the list 👍

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing