Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 09:04   #31

Boat: 1939 Richardson Cruisabout 33
Re: Proposed Bill Prohibiting Youth Boating in Florida

So dumb I don't even want to sit down and list my life experiences, beliefs, knowledge of boating...
Florida is really outdoing itself in making it into the worst boating state in the U.S.
Kentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:05   #32

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

All you need to know is from the "D" at the top of the article.
They're always for more government overreach.

Remember, it's "For The Children". [gag]

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:06   #33

You have to have laws like this, otherwise parents would have to take responsibility and actually decide if it's safe for their particular boy or girl! .... and they would have no one to blame!
Just look at Huck Finn... you don't want your kid to go through that!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:08   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

this is same as they did in cali--no under 16 solo use of ENGINE powered boats. sailing boats are not included. read that to which you are reacting.
there have been many toomany deaths of underaged kids because iof improper handling of engine powered skiffs and jetskis-- this bill does not prevent kids from sailing sabots or other non engine propelled boats.
the cali law didnot impede kids from sailing at young ages. getting hot n bothered does nothing but raise your blood pressure.
is another chikkin little reaction.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:28   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
.................................................. ................
In my opinion, there is a minimum age of responsibility. I really do not believe kids younger than 14 should be on open water unsupervised. Of course..........................
The analogy to cars is way off base.

I was TAUGHT how to operate small sailboats, motorboats, ski boats, canoes and rowboats starting when I was 8 years old at summer camp. My family didn't have a pool or a car when I was a kid. I learned to swim very early. I took the train to camp in MA from NYC with 90% of the rest of the campers and counselors. I was fortunate to get out of the city for 11 years when I was growing up.

Teaching is the issue, NOT constant overbearing supervision.

Those who use the term "snowflakes" are often the very same people who are control freaks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:33   #36

Perfectly fine for a 13 yo to hunt with a high powered rifle though. But watch out for those dangerous boats!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:38   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

This thread prompted me to look up Canada’s law on this. As Canucks will know, the feds introduced a mandatory Pleasure Craft Operator license in 1999. It was in response to the rapidly rising accident rates around the use of seadoos/jetskis. Every boat operator must have one of these silly licenses now (even foreigners if you spend more than 45 days in Canada).

Our reg's age restrictions are:
  • Youth under the age of 12, with no direct supervision, may only operate a boat with a motor of up to 10 hp /7.5 kW.
  • Youth aged 12–15, with no direct supervision, may only operate a boat with a motor of up to 40 hp/30 kW.
  • Youth under the age of 16, regardless of supervision, may not operate a personal watercraft (jetski).
No restrictions on size or sail, just power of engine. I’m no fan of this silly boater license, but I don’t think these limits are unreasonable given that we also license vehicles based on age.

BTW, I haven’t read the Florida legislation, but the quote the OP posted indicated a 10 hp limit, not 10 foot limit. I assume the 10 foot restriction is elsewhere in the bill? If not, then this is may all be a tempest in a teapot.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39   #38

Boat: Island Packet 32

The devil is always in the details and I'll leave it to others to study up on this but I'm guessing the "except under specific conditions" part would probably keep it from "killing youth sailing". It also says "certain" sailboats so lets not get carried away. As stated by others it is probably a reaction to the very experienced 14 y/o's that made a a bad decision and were lost in the Gulf Stream. So keeping kids under 16 from operating boats above 10hp powerboats unsupervised does not seem unreasonable to me.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:51   #39

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Typical Nanny State mentality.
Why have laws and regulations at all. My Dad taught me to drive at 13. If I could prove my abilities, why would they keep me from driving? I live in a state without helmet laws, yet I am required to wear a seatbelt. Most jobs are lost to automation, yet we plan to build a wall that costs well over $15 billion dollars. And got rid of that stupid rule requiring background checks for guns too. Why am I FORCED to have a fire extinguisher and flares I will never use on my boat? Need to get rid of these restrictive regulations. Freedom vs Tyranny. Why do tree huggers want protection for the forests? They are just plants, they can be replanted.

What is important to one person is not important to another. Facts and statistics don't even come into play. People don't like to be restricted, regardless of the reason. Its a balancing act that governments the world over have to figure out. In horse terms, if you leave the reins too loose, the horse will wander, if you pull them too tight, the horse will buck. Obviously the horse is bucking or we wouldn't have seen celebrities become world leaders all across the globe. But if we don't use some common sense along the way, we will throw away regulations that have made this world a better place to live, like safer cars and work places or cleaner air and water for us all to enjoy.

Does that boating bill need some adjustments? Sure. But do you toss it completely away? Does it have to be black or white? What about the good points of that bill? And why not have some discussion as we have had here. I did not have to take the state required safe boating test to sail in Pennsylvania or Maryland because of my age. But I decided to take both. Was an EXCELLENT refresher for me and I also learned some new things that will make me safer for everyone around me. Perhaps Florida should look beyond its borders for some good ideas with a proven track record. Perhaps the U.S. should do the same. Just an opinion...
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01   #40

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

About as good as the California licensing law. Everyone must get a license (phased in over time) except people renting Jetskis, which are the most likely watercraft to be in an accident. I guess if you own a Jetski (which presumably means you have or will learn how to operate it) you will have to have a license.

I think nanny state legislators must have some secret contest to see who can come up with the dumbest laws.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:05   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I sailed a 19ft Lightning from Deception Pass to Roche Harbor when I was 13. By myself. No motor. Would not trade that experience for anything.
Another example of people trying to protect us from ourselves. Crazy.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:11   #42

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Of course the moron senator is from one of the few coastal counties that doesn't have much in the way of open "salt water" where it is perfectly safe for young people to operate small craft in inland waters. Most east coast counties have access to the Indian River Lagoon and there are numerous sheltered bays on the west coast as well and all considered "Salt Water". I don't have a problem with a 10hp limit for up to 12 years old and maybe a bit higher limit for 12-16. As far as sailboats are concerned maybe a length limit of 16 feet, for the younger kids which would open up most small dinghy's to them. I think there is a legitimate concern for children going out in the open ocean. Perhaps limiting them to inside the colregs line without supervision would be reasonable, but just "salt water" is terminally stupid. I took my first sailing lessons when I was 14 and though I was in fresh water, I would have been perfectly fine in the Indian River or Banana Rivers where I moved to when I was 16. The only serious danger I faced then was loss of blood from Mosquitos. The wind died one evening and I didn't get back to the dock in until dusk. I thought I was going to need a transfusion.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:13   #43

Boat: Formosa 41

Anytime I see a new law proposed I think:

Since the beginning of creation until now we have not had this law. Why do we need it now?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:00   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Does remind me of the time my buddy & I took a sunfish out in the bay at Oak Harbor. We were 11. Little did we know that we were sailing in the lanes the big seaplanes used to land. Shut down that part of the Navy for a couple of hours. I think I was only put on restriction for six months that time.
Thought this thread needed a bit of comic relief.
Remember when we rode bicycles without helmets? Rode around in cars (or the back of pickup trucks) with no seat belts? Somehow we survived.
I do think everyone should be checked out on any piece of equipment before operating it, but, give me a break.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 13:04   #45

Boat: Currently in between

If the good Senator really wanted to peeohh everyone maybe he should add:

The problem seems to be brewing testosterone in young males that makes them behave foolishly as they try harder to impress everyone. Therefore this law doesn't apply to young girls..

Now THAT would really do it!

Tags
boat, boating, florida