Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2014, 09:02   #91

Re: Reasons you should take your children cruising soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaton View Post
Education has nothing to do with who we idolize or worship. People that worship those people you spoke of were parented by television and no those that brought them into the world.
Who allowed them to be parented by television?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 09:05   #92

"Education" is a broad term that starts with parents. If the parents find it easier to plop their kid in front of the TV, then yea, they will worship people like that.

Inversely, if parents take an actual active roll in all aspects of their child's life, the chances of the kid growing up being concerned about celebrity nonsense is reduced dramatically.

Ever notice how it's generally the uneducated parents who have children with these problems?

Old 22-03-2014, 09:06   #93

The easy answer of "its TV's fault" doesn't address who turns the TV on in the first place

Old 22-03-2014, 09:23   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
<snip>.... This is what makes one a well rounded and interesting individual. I can't imagine marrying a mental midget. Why should anyone aspire to be one or doom their children to the bottom of the heap?
Our current society doesn't want well rounded and interesting individuals. It wants workers that can make enough money that they don't care that some of that money is stolen from them to give to those that won't work. It also wants crony corporations who will make cheap crap that the workers can afford so those workers feel like they are happy.

We obviously enjoy this society because we keep making it stronger and stronger.
theaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 09:34   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
The easy answer of "its TV's fault" doesn't address who turns the TV on in the first place
I agree. The parents turned on the television. However, it is all of us that allow television to be what it is. Television, actually all media, just reflects what we allow as a society.
Old 22-03-2014, 09:38   #96

Quote:
I agree. The parents turned on the television. However, it is all of us that allow television to be what it is. Television, actually all media, just reflects what we allow as a society.
And "societal norms" start with parents. A single 18 year old in an efficiency in Manhatten spending 18 hours a day on Xbox has absolutely nothing to do with my daughter or how she is exposed to media.

I think we have put too much stock in the phrase "it takes a village to raise a kid." Especially when many parents these days prefer just shoving the kid out of the hut (virtually or not) and expecting the village to raise them. Its easy though. Its also easier when things go wrong. Its the village's fault.

Old 22-03-2014, 09:43   #97

Quote:
Allow is probably the wrong word. Want would probably be more accurate.
Old 22-03-2014, 09:56   #98

Quote:
And "societal norms" start with parents. A single 18 year old in an efficiency in Manhatten spending 18 hours a day on Xbox has absolutely nothing to do with my daughter or how she is exposed to media.

I think we have put too much stock in the phrase "it takes a village to raise a kid." Especially when many parents these days prefer just shoving the kid out of the hut (virtually or not) and expecting the village to raise them. Its easy though. Its also easier when things go wrong. Its the village's fault.

That 18 year old does have something to do with how your daughter is exposed to media. Unless you put her in a locked room when you're not around. Were it not for sufficient numbers wanting something, the something would not be profitable and therefore not be around. We can't stop our children from being exposed, we can just teach them the difference between good and evil - I'm not talking in a religious sense either - and then it is up to them to make choices. One problem is that it doesn't take very many poor parents to cause the number of "bad" children to grow exponentially. The effects of good parenting doesn't cause, for obvious reasons, the same rise in the numbers good children. Soon, bad parenting becomes the norm.

It doesn't take a village to raise a kid. However, absent parenting, the village will raise the kid.
Old 22-03-2014, 10:12   #99
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
And this is why we have a society of people that worship Duck Dynasty, Kim Kardashian and Justin Beiber instead of a society that idolizes Carl sagan, Neil Degrasse Tyson and Albert Einstein

Really? That's what you got out of that? OK.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 10:13   #100

What we're talking about here, though, is cruising kids.

I highly doubt many cruising kids only see their parents 3 hours a day and only during dinner watching American Idol.

What you have with cruising kids are the sane kinds of kids that have always flourished in human civilization. Mature, family centric, skilled, balanced, resilient, educated, with a spark of adventure and doityourselfness.

The difference here is that people are arguing against cruising kids by assuming that it's important for kids to assimilate into a conformist materialistic society for then to become successful.

That's ludicrous.

Old 22-03-2014, 10:17   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Really? That's what you got out of that? OK.
I saw your brief part about common sense.

What I found ironic, however, is that you're sitting on a computer, connected to the internet saying that people that excelled in math give no value. That they don't deserve admiration, only those with only common sense.

Common sense tells me that a metal box will fall out of the sky, but people smarter than me were able to use math to keep that metal box flying.

Old 22-03-2014, 10:19   #102
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

[QUOTE=MBLittle;1499135]What we're talking about here, though, is cruising kids.

The difference here is that people are arguing against cruising kids by assuming that it's important for kids to assimilate into a conformist materialistic society for then to become successful.

That's ludicrous.

That I agree with.
Old 22-03-2014, 10:31   #103

Two questions:

1. Does the age range during which the kids are cruising have an impact? I imagine the ideal age is 4-5 years before high school.

2. Does the loss of parent income during cruising years impact kids? Say savings for college?
engineer_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 10:40   #104
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
I saw your brief part about common sense.

What I found ironic, however, is that you're sitting on a computer, connected to the internet saying that people that excelled in math give no value. That they don't deserve admiration, only those with only common sense.

Common sense tells me that a metal box will fall out of the sky, but people smarter than me were able to use math to keep that metal box flying.

I would challenge you to find in my brief statement where I said that people who excelled in math give no value or deserve admiration. The point was simple. There is far more to measure a person, their worth, their success, and contribution to mankind than advanced education. To extend your thought process would be to say those that did not excel in math and science but have good common sense are less capable of contributing value and deserving of admiration.

Basic science tells me a metal box indeed can not fly and will most certainly in all cases fall out of the sky. Common sense tells me winged aircraft are another story.
Old 22-03-2014, 11:59   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Our current society doesn't want well rounded and interesting individuals. It wants workers that can make enough money that they don't care that some of that money is stolen from them to give to those that won't work. It also wants crony corporations who will make cheap crap that the workers can afford so those workers feel like they are happy.

We obviously enjoy this society because we keep making it stronger and stronger.
If you don't like cheap, worthless crap stop buying it. Its abut time we put the hurt on Chinese crap and kept the money/jobs at home. Stop funding their full employment economy.

We build complex high tech custom machinery sold in the US and internationally. We bring a lot of quality jobs here. BTW, there is not a machinist, assembler, service tech, programmer, exec, electrician or other in our shop or office that can't run circles around the math abilities of most HS grads. One of our biggest problems is finding competent people with critical thinking skills. It is a dismal pool of candidates. The typical new engineer knows little about why or how. Given a design challenge, they run to their apps to find a way to plug stuff in to get an answer.

I interviewed a young college grad applicant from Detroit. In conversation, he had no idea where Cleveland was. He asked if it was in the US. I was impressed and appalled at how ignorant he was. I wanted to ask WTF he'd been doing for the last 21 years.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, cruising