Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2008, 06:27   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Common baking soda also has the ability to absorb odors. Sprinkle it on, let it sit, and vacuum it off.
Old 22-07-2008, 14:11   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
A product called "Zud" will take off rust stains from any fiberglass and gelcoat (or probably anything else for that matter). It is formulated in a powder and sold in a small cannister that looks like Comet cleanser. It is hard to find. I last saw it on store shelves in Alaska. I could not find any down south as hard as I looked. I went online and did a Google searchand found sources for it and had a case shipped to me. Kind of expensive that way but it absolutely works wonders. Just use it with a little water like you would Comet and off comes the stain.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 15:24   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Another grocery store product called "Wink" does rust. Also great on stainless with less mess than "Bar keepers friend". Spray on / wipe off.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 17:43   #19

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Go to Home Depot and buy their rust removal spray. It is cheap and will remove rust stains in 10 minutes. It is probably phosphoric acid. Just be sure not to get it on varnish and rinse it off well.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 05:43   #20

Hi All,
my first post so go gentle on me.... Cleaning teak and GRP...a subject I am very familiar with here in the U.K..
Oxalic acid crystals, a desert spoonful in a gallon of water are a definate yes for me to be used on teak and GRP gel coat. It will be found in many a proprietary brand of cleaner but will not say so in as many words. Of course the Rhubarb leaf juice is the most commom form found in nature here.
It shifts rust stains, algae, and general dirt.
Don't ever scrub the teak with a hard brush! .... I find it better to use a sponge and to rinse off with plenty of water....salt water ideally then algae wont return in a hurry.
Always wear protective glasses and rubber gloves.
Although you don't require too strong a solution for general cleaning, it will shift the most stubborn stains if used in a stronger solution. Again....plenty of clean water to rinse off with. Any other materials i would experiment on a small area with a mild solution. Although an acid, it can be gentler than some general cleaners if used with a little care. best of luck, Scotty
SCOTTY (BETTY) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 12:23   #21

Borax can be toxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Side benefit: Borax is also toxic to roaches! Sprinkle a little bit in cabinet and storage area recesses.
While this is an onld thread, I thought I would chime in. Although a good cleaner do not go overboard with this stuff it is toxic. Here is a portion of the article in the link:

Borax is natural, but that does not mean it is automatically safer for you or for 'the environment' than man-made chemicals. Although plants need boron, too much of it will kill them, so borax can be used as an herbicide. Borax may also be used to kill roaches, ants, and fleas. In fact, it is also toxic to people. Signs of chronic toxic exposure include red and peeling skin, seizures, and kidney failure. The estimated lethal dose (ingested) for adults is 15-20 grams; less than 5 grams can kill a child or pet. For this reason, borax should not be used around food. More commonly, borax is associated with skin, eye, or respiratory irritation. It is also important to point out that exposure to borax may impair fertility or cause damage to an unborn child.

How Does Borax Clean?
LostCays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 10:56   #22
Marine Service Provider

Re: Rust Stains on Fiberglass - Mildew on Cushions

Hello Piper's Girl

Are you having a problem with recurring rust stains?

If so you may want to invest in a new product called Zytexx.

Zytexx is a ceramic clear paint. Once applied nothing can stick to it - no rust, soot, salt or dirt.

I have applied it various yachts up to 200ft and the results are unbelievable. You can wipe off exhaust marks with your hand.

I would suggest putting it on patches where your rust spots are once you have cleaned the area and problem solved for many years.
Siegal80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 22:11   #23

Boat: Morgan O/I 28

I have always been able to remove rust stains with simple lemon juice, baking soda for friction, and scrubbing really well. But that being said never had to deal with lots and lots of rust. Just wanted to toss that out there in case anyone wants to work on their arm muscles. Trick is to let the lemon juice sit on it and soak a bit.
Valacirca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 00:20   #24

I haven't really tried it but this is advise that was given after the floods we had last year................no idea who Shannon is

To remove mold from soft furnishings, canvas and outside areas (where the salt won't end up in the garden), mix one kilogram of ordinary house salt into one bucket of water. Wash the affected surface, wait until the salt crust forms and brush off with a broom.

But Shannon says the best killer of mould is oil of cloves, available from the chemist or supermarket.

To use oil of cloves as a mold remover:

Add half a teaspoon of oil of cloves to 1 litre of water - no more than that.

Put it into a spray bottle, spray the surface and leave for 20 minutes.

Wipe the surface clean, then re-spray and leave it.

It will take between 24 to 48 hours for the mould spores to die and drop off.

If you need to clean your carpet and get rid of the smell caused by water damage, Shannon has a special concoction for steam cleaners:

Use half the amount of soap recommended in the instructions for your steam cleaner, and add the following:

half a cup each of of bi-carb soda, white vinegar and methylated spirits

Two teaspoons each of eucalyptus oil and glycerine.

Steam clean your carpet as usual.
FoxyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 19:33   #25

I have had luck in using plain, white vinegar on mildew. Put it in a spray bottle and saturate the mildew. Use a soft brush to brush it in if necessary/desired. Leave the affected garment/cushion/etc. out in the full sun to dry. Sunshine will help eliminate mildew along with the vinegar. I was able to salvage very mildew-y weather gear">foul weather gear and boat shoes stored in a hanging locker for several months.

Following the vinegar, I cleaned the areas with diluted liquid laundry detergent and hosed them off good and left out in the sunshine to dry again.

For rust removal I have used a rust remover (can't remember the name but it comes as a liquid in a brown bottle at the hardware store). Lay paper towels over the rust stain, saturate with rust remover, let sit until stain is gone and rinse with water. Test on a small spot on fabric before using on fabric. This stuff has been a Godsend for me!

Cruising in the Caribbean taught me many things. Good luck.

cj
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 20:20   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Oxalic acid is the active ingredient in a lot of wood bleaches and teak cleaners. Also works well on rust stains. It's an ingredient in Barkeepers Friend which has almost always worked for me. Did you make a slurry of BF and leave it on the stain for a couple of hours??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 15:36   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

coca cola has phosphoric acid.
phosphoric acid gets rid of rust stains. rinse thoroughly.

i have been using white vinegar and bragging on it since 1990. it has been in use for centuries and still works. go figger.
i do not follow it up with anything, as the pH of the vinegar residue continues to kill mold and mildew, whereas soap does not change the pH of the item and mildew and molds will regrow as soon as you leave the boat..

teak cleaning i do with sea water--is best thing around for cleaning teak ..then i oil it. CLEAN teak will oil nicely..dirty teak will become black. black is dirt. i use a 3m pad for my teak wood cleaning, no other stuff but a 3m pad and sea water. that is all teak needs. i do this yearly and it takes me around 6 hours annually to clean my teak 120 ft rail and the added area of house teak....

i do not varnish.

i repair my boat and sail. i live aboard and cruise full time--my stuff doesnt get mildewed unless i do something drastically wrong.

when you leave your boats, try leaving a lil ventilation so you do not have to suffer mildew problems. mildew and mold love lack of ventilation.

sun dos not rid cloth of mold or mildew---it will just make a hole in the item ....ask me how i know this...lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 10:32   #28

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We use Whink rust remover. It works on any surface. For fiberglass, we pour a little on a "magic eraser" sponge. It works great on bow mustaches also.

Tags
cushions, fiberglass