Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 13:56   #16

Boat: Norseman 400
Re: Sailboat for family of 6

Check out the Norseman 447. Extremely well-built boats. But then, I'm a little biased as we own a Norseman 400 and love everything about it. It's perfect for two, but I think would be too small for 5-6 liveaboards.

Remember, you are selecting a boat that is safe and liveable first. Finding one that sails (or motors) well and can be easily handled by you (while your wife is below with the kids or sleeping) or her (while you're below with the kids or sleeping) is also important. But keep in mind, your entire family will need to shower, use the toilet, eat, and drink everyday. Find a boat that is safe and livable first. Sailing and moving the boat won't take nearly as much time over the course of your cruising dream as cooking three meals a day and living. There is a HUGE difference between being a cruiser and being a sailboat racer.

Some of the complaints we've heard other cruisers make about their own boats include:
  • Not having a separate shower space (everything in the head gets wet)
  • Shower drain empties into the bilge instead of overboard
  • Not enough refrigeration space and no/little freezer space (no ice)
  • No way to access wiring, hoses, and everything behind the cabin top, walls, and sole. Everything is glued down. (The Norseman's interior can be disassembled and reassembled and provides access to practically everything.)
  • Too hard - or impossible - for one person to handle. Or takes two people just to change tack or sails.

Best of luck!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 13:57   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Sailboat for family of 6

Having four kids I am aware of the magic number. Most cars are designed for maximum of five people, many boats sleep 5 (properly), two hotel rooms can sleep five. The extra body can change all of that. On our own cat, two kids have to share even with four cabins - however, even when the one or both twins are of the boat the two youngest insist on sharing. However, having four kids is utterly wonderful.......would have gone for six had my wife agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
What do you mean by "magical difficult number" for the number of kids to have? Not sure that exists-I just know they're EXTREMELY SPENDY. And I have three. 4 for me? NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

The average cost of raising a child born in 2013 up until age 18 for a middle-income family in the U.S. is approximately $245,340 (or $304,480, adjusted for projected inflation), according to the latest annual “Cost of Raising A Child” report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.Aug 18, 2014. NOT INCLUDING COLLEGE.

So stick with 3 kids. Increase the budget by $245,000 and then buy a 4 cabin LAGOON 44. LOL

In all seriousness I do think you would be better off with a 4 cabin cat as the others here have suggested. Although SV Delos gets along very well with 6 adults on their 53 Super Amel. Good Luck and keep us all posted!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, sail, sailboat