Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 21:14   #1

Boat: 1979 Tanzer 8.5
Sailing Blogs Written By Kids ?

Hi all! We are considering taking our 10 year old son sailing next winter in the Carribbean for 3-6 months and are looking for sailing blogs written by kids about their adventures.

I have seen a lot of blogs written by grown ups with kids, but very little written by kids.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Ilana
DeepJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 21:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Sailing blogs written by kids?

probably because your average 10 year old is in a state of shock,having their parents lifestyle inflicted on them!!!!! and removed from having a normal life style where they are not getting battered by a moving vessel............and exiled from all their friends and other normal kid stuff.......kids need to run free not be confined on a boat.......evil selfish yachty parents.........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 21:54   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Look for SVNomads blog, I believe their eldest, Nial, has his own regular posts. There's a link in the links section here.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 22:00   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
probably because your average 10 year old is in a state of shock,having their parents lifestyle inflicted on them!!!!! and removed from having a normal life style where they are not getting battered by a moving vessel............and exiled from all their friends and other normal kid stuff.......kids need to run free not be confined on a boat.......evil selfish yachty parents.........
What exactly is "a normal lifestyle"? Normal is subjective. I can think of athousand worse ways to raise kids than while cruising. Including raising them in your typical small minded small town or trouble filled big city. I feel safer with my kids being banged about aboard than while freeway commuting too.
Old 18-12-2011, 22:31   #5

Boat: Buccaneer 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or something? I don't know if you noticed but that was these peoples first post here. And your comment is what represented this forum and was sent to their inbox. I hope they come back and at least read the rest of the posts.

Link for Kid blog:
Everyday Maia
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 22:41   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ALL children have their parents lifestyle inflicted upon them, except for those few who's parents are so reprehensible that they don't impose ANY structure on their kids lives. It's part of being a kid. I'm curious if you have any of your own, Atoll. Honestly just curious....
Oh, and welcome to DeepJoy. Keep looking they are out there. I recently read a book written by a teenage cruising kid, trying to remember the name. I'm sure someone here will help me remember. It's on kindle.
Old 19-12-2011, 04:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i have 2 who grew up thinking people who live in houses and have normal jobs are weird!
they have both done 2 circumnavigations by age 10.

apologies to deepjoy and welcom to the forum,sorry if i came across as blunt but there is a lot of truth there,for people who embark on extended cruising.

truth of the matter is kids need other kids to mould them for later life,and longterm childhood friends,not transient as happens whilst cruising.

both my kids have adjusted well to school,over the last 6 years,are super confident with adults,but still lack confidence with other members of their own age group.

other kids that i know who have grown up on boats and who are now in there 40's all have issues with getting along in society.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 09:26   #8

Thank you all so much for the great blog suggestions and all of the responses and pms! Thankfully we don't scare that easily! Our son is really looking forward to the adventure and to reading about other kids who are already off on their adventures.

Atoll,
Sounds like that way of thinking could easily have been leveled at you in the past. So I am perplexed to receive it from someone in the sailing community. Especially by someone who has done the same 'evil selfish thing' to their own kids.... Twice!
Old 19-12-2011, 10:28   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

I think Blogs are for old people!

Probably have more luck with Facebook.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 12:11   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The title I was trying to remember- A Star to Sail Her By: A Five Year Odyssey of Adventure and Growth. By Alex Ellison. This kids book is impressive. He wrote it in his mid teens I believe, but he was writing articles for magazines at nine. He's incredibly verbose, too much so really, but he's still better than many adult authors. Just needs to put down the thesaurus and find his stride. I know you didnt ask for a book, but this one is by a kid not much older than yours, and involves a lot of Carribean cruising, your stated destination. Definitely worth a read. It's on kindle.
Old 19-12-2011, 22:13   #11

Thanks for the book recommendation Minaret!! We bought the ebook tonight and we started reading it together. It looks like a really good book though you are right...his vernacular is occasionally obscenely sesquipedalian.
Old 21-12-2011, 21:18   #12

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran

Here is another one...
totem travels
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 21:35   #13

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'

Here's a good one that I enjoy, even though I'm a middle aged old coot -- Three at Sea, with a video series by their daughter Ayla. She's a cute kid. Power boating in a Nordhaven trawler though, not sailing, but I still think sailboat kids would enjoy it too. We're going to do the Loop someday and so I really liked her "reporting" on locking through the Erie Canal and the Trent Severn. She's quite a videographer and narrator for her age.

Their website is www.threeatsea.com, but I'm also subscribed to her videos on YouTube.

ThreeAtSea's Channel - YouTube
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 21:45   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Here is another one...
totem travels

Sorry this is the blog I was trying to direct you too which I said is in the links on this site, I meant SVTotem not Nomad, don't know where I came up with that one. Niall lives here. Sorry to misdirect you DeepJoy.
Old 26-12-2011, 12:34   #15

Kthoennes thanks for the recommendation - we'll have fun looking through the videos and reading the blogs!

Minaret with the info you provided previously I found Niall's blog.... But your post confirmed that I had indeed found the right one. Thanks!

Tags
sailing, kids