Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 00:39   #1

Boat: Atkinson 45
Sailing with a Cat through SE Asia

Hi all!
We are leaving Darwin Australia in July and sailing through Timor-Leste, Indonesia, Malaysia and then Thailand. Motley, our ship's cat has been with the boat all her life and we want to take her with us. Has anyone had any experience of sailing around these waters with a pet? I understand that Indo is OK so long as you have the shots etc, but Malaysia needs the animal to be in the export country for six months. Seeing as we can only have the boat in Indo for three months it gets tricky. Sail Indonesia just say that other boats have sailed through with pets and had no problems. I would hate to be put in a position where Motley has to be euthanased because we got it wrong. Don't even want to think about that one.
Any ideas anyone?
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 02:56   #2

Boat: 73 pearson 35
Re: Sailing with a cat through SE Asia

Leave said feline in a cage with food and water onshore before you hit your clearing port.Return and hope feline is still there.or skip M.Thailand you should have no problems.just offer food and drink if customs wants to actually come to your boat.thats if you clear in Phuket..Chalong i think is the port there.
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 16:41   #3

Boat: Atkinson 45
Re: Sailing with a cat through SE Asia

Thanks Mark. I don't know if I could leave Motley on shore in a cage, but we have thought of skipping Malaysia and sailing straight to Thailand.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, sailing