Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 23:51   #16

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
We all have issues. Every last one of us. The best we can hope for in life is to find a partner who's issues we can tolerate, and who can tolerate our own. If there are compatibility problems, it will be harder to live at sea than on land.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:05   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Right on, Weyalan. Well said.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06   #18

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Well - these 2 women as discussed on some other threads - are dealing with issues such as electrics, rigging checks, passage prep, gas regulators .... And v grateful for the helpful discussions on these issues on these forums.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You have a point. I know lots of momen who have given birth but I can't think of a single man!
Really? What about this then?

Pregnant Man Thomas Beatie Expecting THIRD Child

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:51   #20

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Not actually a genetic man but a woman who wants to be and thinks she is a man but still with the female body.

Confused? Yeah, me too.
Old 07-04-2010, 13:05   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I'm just glad there are differences. I would not want to wake up to a spouse with a hairy back who smells like a dude. ...not to mention the really nice differences.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 14:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Not actually a genetic man but a woman who wants to be and thinks she is a man but still with the female body.
I knew that but what the heck? It was too good a reply to pass up
Old 07-04-2010, 14:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I'm just glad there are differences.
Oh yeah!!!! :-)

Quote:
I would not want to wake up to a spouse with a hairy back who smells like a dude.

Quote:
...not to mention the really nice differences.
I agree.

In my case I need to get on with women, having a wife, daughters and a female cat and all their female friends who call round. My eldest girl's best friend stays here a couple of nights a week. We call her "spare daughter". I'm surprised I haven't started having periods myself. Everyone else in this house does The amount of oestrogen in the air round here must be exceeding EU safety levels.

Our bathroom's a joke. One bottle of "bloke" shampoo, some shaving soap and a brush and razor..... and 400 bottles of every soap and plant extract on the planet, wax strips, crushed apricot stones, the entire UK output of sponges, bath brushes, hair dye, hair bleach, "fruity" shampoos, conditioners - it's like a chemist shop rather then a bathroom.

I need to get to sea - to preserve my sanity. ArrrrrgggggghhhhhhhH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 15:10   #24

What Women Want? Maybe to be Left Alone?

Quote:
David, he say:
Seemed to be a few women posting a while back - but gone a bit quiet on that front recently.
Maybe that quiescence has something to do with the men invading every women's thread and leaving them with little of their own.

Just seems to me… if women want to talk about what women want, that men should keep their noses out of it for the most part.
Old 07-04-2010, 15:16   #25

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
being a 'aventurous" women all my life , and havin travel the many countries as a photo journalist before .
the last 10 years i had to build my second house ( first one sold for divorce 15 years ago) , care part time for my son , restaure few boats, ..now my son is 21 and independant , my house nearly finished..
now i got all my Time for myself , and more sailing ..
alas the last 2 years got few heath issues with menopause ..and cronic back injuries from old flying ultralight crach ( used to fly paraglyder and ultralight plane too ...)
Now as many middle age women , got a little dog from the refuge for compagny my emotional need ( i admit i even call sometime my dog by my son name !!)..
Well , i am a aventurous women for sure, but very independant , and i had to assume and work alone ( by choise ) in my projects .
I know many women could not have done what i did, even they will not know how to build a shed or a house ( i do all , carpentry , plumbing ..ect ), and they will have find a partner to do all that for them.
i do not jugde them, but i am too independent and love doing all that myself.
i prefere doing my carpentry or using a circular saw ,a grunder , sander and drill that working on a office or a shop ..
and i prefere to live in the small town that a big city nowdays

i do not judge other women , but realised that most woman have very different interests , but then , i was always "different " as far that i can remember at school too.
I realise that most woman of my generation ( born 1961) have still focus very much most of their first half part of their life around the care of their family first , even abandonning their own carreer as ingenieur or mathematic ..( i did math , physic myself ), as they had to support and follow their husband , they had to make few choise and priorities..
now they have to relearn to care for themself, and regain confidence again of their own habilities ,
it is not a critique , just a fact that i can observe around me , in Australia where i live and France where i come from ..and in the States and Canada where i have friends.
So sailing was not a passion and a priorities for most women ,as even on the week end they had kids need to be attend too and driving to all their sport ..activities ..ect..and the shopping , and cleaning ...
most of week- end guys have time to play and fix their boats and chat on pontoon and yachts club, while women do the house cleaning , week shopping , washing , kids organising ....ect..
it is not a critique , just a reality..
so few 25 to 45 year old women have time to relax around boats and yacht club if they have a family ..

maybe this little explaination ,will give you a better understanding of the lack of young "birds " around the boating/sailing scene....

but as we say in French , "there are always few exceptions to the rules "
so good luck ..
Old 07-04-2010, 15:49   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
OK the world just keeps getting weirder.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 17:14   #27

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
... I have observed that people are less twerpy when in a "happy place". I am not talking about a physical place, I am talking about being where you want to be, being yourself...
Rings true. I also think happy people tend to share their happiness. Some unhappy ones will share their unhappiness too.

It is OK. being human includes being emotional and expressive.

What never stops to amaze me is how much so many women will express their unhappiness about their men (but mostly rather in their own circle than towards their apparently lame men). I have never witnessed so much talking about the opposite sex (and their apparent shortcomings) in between men!

Me and my friends will, at times, make a comment of the 'doh, she is a real sport' type but immediately afterwards we will invariably drift towards sailing matters. We simply take women for granted.

So, I guess, we have issues ;-)?

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:37   #28

Boat: Pearson 281
I find that the most interesting women and men are those who are unwilling to accept socially defined roles in life and I am drawn to those sorts of people. The chances of finding such people as this are greater in cruising as well as in many other pursuits.
Yet even within these various pursuits women and men when joining forces will still carve out their respective places with more traditionally gendered roles.
There are many gender specific traits that have all sorts of origins and I enjoy the company of men and women who like to goof on those traits/roles. I can hang with the other guys (though I get kinda bored, women are more interesting to me) but they think I'm goofy because I'll say stuff like "Gotta go rustle up dinner for my hard workin' woman" or "my grrl wants to got out, better go get spruced up for her" while they are singing the blues about having to leave the boat get home befor the old lady gets pissed" Now I know they love their wives mostly and I don't consider my atitude superior... it's just how I go about gender. This does not mean I don't ever act like a guy and take a traditional guy role and she a more femme one plenty of times but I'd like to think there is a lot of fluidity in all that.
I think there is a lot of room for flexibility and it's more interesting and fun when the differences gets blurred, besides watching my new grrl get us out of or into the slip is kinda sexy. Gimme a woman who defies expectaion.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08   #29

Boat: Pearson 281
oh... and I'd like to add that it would serve any man well to understand, if they do not already, that in most cultures and all traditionally male activities women have to jump much higher and run much faster to even be "seen" in those cultures/activities.
It takes courage to defy expectations and, as it still stands, more courage for women to do so than men.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:45   #30

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Anjou, I have been searching all over Western Washington state in the USA for you [or your clone]. Why do you live so far away? Life isn't fair.
I know so many 'men' who never got past age 6. Some are lubbers, some are sailors. Our media, our culture, and our 'men' demand women to be high maintenance. It is astonishing how quickly that facade is abandoned when given the chance and the support [stress the latter]. Not always, mind, but often. And it is often the case, I have observed, that high maintenance women afloat are the ones whose husbands have more gizmos and gadgets aboard their boats than Bayer has aspirin. And those 'men' yell a lot, and depend on their gizmos to do what the boat can do well without the gizmos. Gizmos - you know, motors and stuff. High maintenance women are often the ones with - dare I say it - high maintenance men.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote