Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2006, 08:49   #16

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 46 :Star-Gazy"
Send a message via AIM to gini Send a message via Yahoo to gini
WOMEN\S FORUM

Thanks Pwederell - yes that was what I meant...doh! Do hope you are keeping cosy and warm - you are made of much tougher stuff than me!
Also GoirdMay for the back up.
I was thinking of those not only potential but also actual female sailors who miss their families. Well, surely one of the best upsides of the technological revolution and info overload is that now they can very much stay in touch with their families, and friends, practically anywhere - even the Antarctic!
They can not only write and talk to them, but also see them anytime they have access to a webcam and savvy cybersite or, if they are really lucky than WiFi afloat is coming in fast. Yahoo, Messenger and Skype are even making it free or at least almost free for mobile and fixed fone calls from a computer.
Perhaps these thoughts may soften the blow?
Happy Cruising!
Bless the rain - it's filling up the tanks!
Old 27-01-2006, 09:01   #17

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 46 :Star-Gazy"
Send a message via AIM to gini Send a message via Yahoo to gini
WORKING ON THE LIST, SEA GYPSY WOMAN!
Sorry about the typos - signed off in a rush.

Regarding seasickness - oh no! We both suffered from it for years, and Skipper was in the RN. The way we got over it was GINGER in every form. An onboard doc once advised not to drink too much liquid (not being facetious!) but to take it on via apples (not oranges) etc. Even so, not even ginger ale or ginger beer caused any upset. Lovely homemade ginger cake, toast with ginger preserve, ginger nuts. Kept up the strength and never was seasick again! Not even in F10s+
Convinced?
Happy sailing!
Old 27-01-2006, 13:19   #18

Boat: East Orient 32
STRAWBERRIES IN ANTARCTICA

Good luck finding those strawberries, Pwederell!
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2006, 20:46   #19
Kai Nui

Gini, All of the solutions for seasickness do not work with me. I do fine when everyone else is green, but put me on a run with 10kts, and 2ft seas, and I turn green. I know a few that drink to solve the problem, but the smell of alhahol while sailing also turns me green. Just head up, crank up the wind, and I feel like a new man
GORD, The yes dear thing doesn't work anymore. What next?
You know what they say about friends and families; if you treated your friends the way you treat your family, they would not be your friends anymore
Old 27-01-2006, 21:05   #20

Lightbulb Weblink

I ran across this website a few weeks ago.

I was really surprised to find, that they have glasses to help prevent the wearer from getting seasickness. Here's the weblink below:

http://www.swisstech-america.com/tempestglasses.html

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2006, 22:07   #21

Has anybody ever heard about this kind of sunglasses?

That's why I posted this up, on the forum?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 31-01-2006, 04:58   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m kind of “slow”, so it took me a while to make the connection, but our seagypsywoman has a really neat website www.seagypsysailing.com , with some interesting articles at: http://www.seagypsysailing.com/guide.html

Check it out girls & guys.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 21:00   #23

Thanks

Thanks, Gord and Maggie. You've been to the Bahamas, I see. Perhaps we've met in George Town in winter of 2003-2004?
Old 02-02-2006, 13:36   #24

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Please correct me if I'm wrong....

but it is my belief that a Captain is responsible for his/her crew when in a foreign country. Thus, the girl who was "dumped on the beach" is the responsibility of the "Captain" with regards to paying her way home. If that's not the current law, please do enlighten me.
Yachts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 15:27   #25

Yachts66

You might be thinking of the NAVY?

Old 02-02-2006, 18:35   #26
Kai Nui

Yacht66, you are correct. Many countrie enforce this far more stringently than others, but in general, that is the rule. A number of countries will not alllow you to clear in if you have crew that are from a different country than where your boat is flagged unless you meet certain requirements to guaranty that those crew can be sent back home at no cost to that country. It is quite possible the woman you are speaking of was so greatful to be away from that particular captain that she did not facilitate that responsibility. No system is perfect, so it is always possible to leave someone stranded with enough effort, and it would be very hard to extradite a skipper from another country for such a crime.
Old 02-02-2006, 19:10   #27

GIRL ON THE BEACH

Ok, so I used a bit of creative license in that example, however the story in a less dramatic form has happened to three people I know. The first one left because she was frightened of the drunken and abusive skipper, didn't know that the skipper was responsible for her flight home, so paid for her own, the second one was told to leave with no notice and no place to go, but this happened in her country of origin, so the skipper was not responsible for airfare, and the third one also was told to leave because she wasn't happy with the skipper screaming at her. I don't know who paid for the airfare in that case.

However, I also, as a skipper have asked crew to leave because things weren't working out and in one case when faced with the cost of re-patriation of the crew, chose to in fact to let the crew make the decisions because it was either his way or he'd complain to the immigration people and I didn't want trouble. I suppose that would have been called mutiny in the old days.

I don't want to frighten any hopeful crew, however, because there are many voyages undertaken with very happy crew and skipper. I also think that it is very important to see that the crew has a return flight booked or that they deposit in trust with the skipper enough cash for their flight.

If anyone else has any ideas about this, I sure would like to hear them.
Old 03-02-2006, 19:03   #28
Kai Nui

Look into the jones act, and the passenger services act. Both of these address similar issues.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:34   #29

Jones Act

Here is what I found:

The Jones Act (aka Merchant Marine Act) is a United States Federal statute that requires U.S.-flagged vessels to be built in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and documented under the laws of the United States. Documented means "registered, enrolled, or licensed under the laws of the United States." In addition, all officers and 75% of the crew must be U.S. citizens. Vessels that satisfy these requirements comprise the "Jones Act fleet".

So, it seems that this is an American law, not international and only applies to US vessels.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:41   #30

Jones Act

And here is a link to the entire Jones Act:

http://www.shipguide.com/jones%2Dact/