Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 08:38   #1

Seasick child! Any tips?

Hi all,

Recently started taking my 8 year old out on the water. He loves it until a bit of weather sets in. He just can't help but get sick. Any tips on how to help him deal with it? Magic pills?

Thanks!
GreenRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:42   #2

Re: Seasick child! Any tips?

Whatever child-appropriate dose of motion-sickness meds of choice at least a half-an-hour before you slip lines, or...

Stick him on the helm = Allow him to become the best helmsman on the boat. Helming makes people focus on the horizon, which helps counteract the weird signals being sent to the brain by the inner ear when the sea is kicking up.

LittleWing77

(Remember, seasickness can sometimes be generated by fear, too. My crew went out at the beginning of the Summer last year in gusts of 19 knots. We were out with reefed sails and completely under control, but they were new to this and it was scary to them. Both were feeling nauseous. By the end of the Summer, they went out in 25+ knots and didn't blink and it didn't phase them anymore. No more seasickness.) Helming might give your son a better feeling of control, so less fear. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, Dad, is to be patient until he gets the feel of it.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:12   #3

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

I myself suffer from seasickness. However, I have found that I can get my sea legs by going out regularly. Bonine/ Non-drowsy Dramamine (same formula) work well for me. My parents used to dose me up with dramamine in the car, and we were never sure if it was the meds or the fact that I was sleeping that worked, but it this non drowsy version works great.

Staying cool helps.

Nibbling on plain crackers (graham crackers work as well as saltines or triscuits, in my experience).

Stay hydrated.

I will say, I am the best helm on the boat, but it does not help me at all when I am feeling seasick. I am better off sitting on the high side and watching the bubbles than being on helm. Thank goodness for autopilot in those cases: I can do my watch, and since I am tethered in I can lean over the rail whenever necessary (while I fill meh often, I have only gotten to that point during night sailing, and in relatively calm winds, but mixed swell throwing the boat every which way).
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:18   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

MotionEase at Walmart, about $5. Safe for kids. Essential oils dabbed behind the ears. Will work after symptoms present. Has no side effects.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:36   #5

My son is a real barf-artist (gets also sick on the bus) and we found some travel-pills which work for him. If the sea is anything but flat, he just takes them before going out. He also learned to avoid his gameboy at sea.

As mentioned before, steering helps, being warm and cosy is quite important too. Being cold and miserable attracts sea-sickness.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:08   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Ginger does help. Ginger tea, ginger snaps, or better yet - ginger capsules (raw organic ground ginger root) for the highest dosage. About a quarter teaspoon or two 00-size capsules every few hours. A 00 capsule holds 1/8 teaspoon. No risk of side effects, and it's also known to help settle the stomach. (Besides being anti-nausea it works as an anti-inflammatory, also good for morning sickness and certain headaches, joint aches).
I also find the Reliefband helps me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PG4NUOS
Maybe it's just the placebo effect but it seems to work. I use both.

Edit: Also best to avoid fatty/salty foods and foods filled with refined sugars. (true at all times, but they're more likely to provoke a feeling of 'unwell' stomach). No chips, burgers, processed meats, fries, bacon etc.
Changed half teaspoon above to quarter teaspoon
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seasick child! Any tips?

Fed him a stonking great greasy breakfast before heading out... nothing worse than dry heaving..
More seriously..
Many swear by Ginger Snaps to nibble and water to sip from time to time.. I used to suck Barley Sugars to keep me going.
Keep him occupied in the cockpit learning to helm, tending the sheets etc..
Try and keep the drugs to a very last resort.. I find they build a subconscious reliance in people..
Wot??? No pills??? 'Baarrrffff'

Re no side effects to Ginger..
Ginger can cause mild side effects including heartburn, diarrhea, burping, and general stomach discomfort. Some women have reported more menstrual bleeding while taking ginger.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:25   #8

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Ginger does help. Ginger tea, ginger snaps, or better yet - ginger capsules (raw organic ground ginger root) for the highest dosage. About a quarter teaspoon or two 00-size capsules every few hours. A 00 capsule holds 1/8 teaspoon. No risk of side effects, and it's also known to help settle the stomach. (Besides being anti-nausea it works as an anti-inflammatory, also good for morning sickness and certain headaches, joint aches).
I also find the Reliefband helps me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PG4NUOS
Maybe it's just the placebo effect but it seems to work. I use both.

Edit: Also best to avoid fatty/salty foods and foods filled with refined sugars. (true at all times, but they're more likely to provoke a feeling of 'unwell' stomach). No chips, burgers, processed meats, fries, bacon etc.
Changed half teaspoon above to quarter teaspoon

I second this suggestion and will add that we use hard ginger candies. Can be bought online easily.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:58   #9

Motioneaze
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motioneaze.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	236141  
Old 08-04-2021, 09:43   #10
UYA

Boat: Moody 42

Chewing gum.
We found that works best for our daughter.
And of course eat and drink regularly. An empty stomach gets easier sea sick...
UYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:10   #11

Boat: FP, Lavezzi, 40

My youngest daughter swears by putting a hearing protection plug in a single ear. Not sure how much it helps, but it is easy and can be combined with other options. It seems to help her.
OneKoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:00   #12
JPK

Bonine (Meclizine) works for me. My daughter gets very seasick/carsick and Bonine does nothing for her. Ginger capsules and ginger gum seem to help her, but for her it seems to be equal part physical as well as the anxiety of knowing that she's about to get on a boat or go on a long car ride that affect her. The latter is helped by being distracted.

On a side note, here in the US, Meclizine is sold as "Bonine" and was also sold as "Dramamine Non-Drowzy", but it seems that more recently Dramamine have changed their branding and now call their Meclizine product "Dramamine Less Drowsy" and are now selling 1,000mg ginger capsules as "Dramamine Non-Drowsy All Natural" so if it's meclizine you're looking for, pay attention to the labels.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:38   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Stick him on the helm = Allow him to become the best helmsman on the boat. LittleWing77
This ^^^^^^^

Which was great until we stopped and tied to a mooring ball off Sark. Within 5 minutes of wind tide and waves, both kids were sick as was the dog and the boat looked like a bomb had gone off. Wifey gave me that look from the saloon which said "get us out of here now". We hot footed it to Jersey sharpish.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 00:22   #14

All very helpful suggestions. Will try ginger and helming this weekend ... Be a good test of my patience.

Thanks!
GreenRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 06:01   #15

Motionease has worked on everyone I know who has used it. Great remedy at low cost, no side effects.