Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 21:38   #16
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Single gal looking to live aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to rent in a live aboard situation in Southern CA around Marina Del Rey, Ventura, or Santa Barbara.

My goal is to immerse myself within boating community to learn as much as possible about all aspects of sailing before buying my own yacht. I am open to advice and suggestions. 😃
I'd cross Santa Barbara off the list. The slip situation here is insane. There are several sneak-aboards around, so it can be done, but it's a hard sell. The slips have aquired this sort of non-real property value, and most folks here are afraid of losing their investment if they get caught renting out their boat/slip. If you're flush with cash, or don't mind living *really* small, there are (last I checked, which was a bit ago) live aboard permits available. The boat, slip, and live-aboard permit all have to be in your name. The Harbor Patrol stay on top of things. Not much goes down they don't know about. They may choose to ignore certain infractions (exceeding allowed time, say) for low key folk, but I'd hate to bank on that.

I often work in Channel Islands Harbor, and the situation there is better. There's none of the "pay to transfer" nonsense of SB, and since they opened up the new stuff north of the bridge there are *plenty* of open slips. Live aboard permits are in the $300-$350 per month in addition to normal slip fees. Lots of boats for sale. Lots of boats that might be rented. Marinas are mostly run by Almar. Dad said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. So I suggest giving them a Google run... The new Catalina Yacht Anchorage looks really nice (and not Almar managed). Not sure about live-aboards there. The strips of land around the harbor (Silver Strand excepted) are nice. The rest of Oxnard, well, see the above comment about Pops.

There are a bunch of apartments/condos in CI that have docks. I'm not sure what the deal is with them. The biggest one is "SeaBridge." I'd check it out on Google. Lots of vacant units. Could have your cake and eat it too.

I don't know a ton about Ventura. They have some weird rules there, but I know several people who have boats there and they all seem to like it. There's also the Ventura Keys, which are palatial homes with docks. No idea about live-aboard potential there.

Further south, I got no idea. Folks down there be crazy .

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 23:59   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

I don't want to be too negative here, but the last sort of person I'd want to boat sit or rent my boat would be a totally inexperienced newbie, no matter how nice or well intentioned. I'd want someone with considerable experience with boats, someone who could actually contribute upkeep and maintain theboat in a useful fashion.

So, for t he OP, there's always the chance of something coming up, but in general I'd suspect that ownership is the best way to achieve your desired live-aboard status. And by the way, it's worth working/spending for!

Cheers and good luck

Jim
Old 13-09-2012, 00:43   #18

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Or better yet, offer to "Boat Sit".
I took your advice, thanks!

I have been in business forever, and thinking about retiring. Just placed a Craigs List ad.
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 07:12   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

GaryMayo, good luck with your boat sitting business. Just a warning, here in SW Florida we have some "Boat Sitters" here. One of them was responcable for looking after a 50ft Fountain, a great boat. The boat sitter forgot to check the shore power conection one time and it had a small through hull leak. I bet you can guess what happened. The boat sank at the dock and the insurance company went after the boat sitter for over a million, not to mention the EPA. This boat sitter had insurance, lucky for him.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 08:07   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Good luck Gary and Malibu.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 08:43   #21

Not saying it can't be done, but if your goal is to learn about sailing, as you stated, then liveaboard may NOT be the best choice. Rather, consider buying a reasonable boat and learning how to sail, first. Why? Because then you'll find out about boats and what you like/want/need when you make your purchase. You'll be much more knowledgeable then and can make a much better choice.

OTOH, "boat sitting" could be a way to "get on the water," but your "deal" would have to include an agreement to actually sail the boat in addition to living on it, which may be an issue for the owner since you don't know how to sail, right?

Consider your options first before plunging in.

Good luck. Great goal.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 10:01   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Stu, I think she plans on immersing herself in the "lifestyle" not just the sailing. I don't think it is at all unreasonable for a motivated intelligent newbie to try to find a boat owner that wants to rent and have his boat cleaned up a little and watched after in the off season, especially by a cute young woman.

In fact, I think if you hang out at the docks at your favorite marina you should be able to knock this out in a weekend if you have good "social skills" and wear appropriate attire. References would help that you aren't in the Witness Protection Program etc.

Would a homely guy be getting all this advice? Just sayin.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 11:33   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
especially by a cute young woman.
Probably the reason this thread is getting so much attention.

In fact, I think if you hang out at the docks at your favorite marina you should be able to knock this out in a weekend if you have good "social skills" and wear appropriate attire.
Now that's a loaded statement

Would a homely guy be getting all this advice? Just sayin.
Absolutely not!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 13:59   #24

Boat sitting on a well found well maintained boat should not be a problem for an intelligent considerate and mechanically minded person. The OP wants to experience life living aboard a small boat... and learn what it like and I suppose care for it.. cleaning and so forth and being up close and personal with all the bits and pieces even of she doesn't get to use them all... like radar.

I see no problem in having such a well intentioned considerate and competent person boat sit Shiva which is or can be pretty complicated to care for... wires and hoses, pumps and so forth. But she's in good condition and I don't expect problems from living aboard at a slip from these systems.

If she pays a bit of rent I see this as a win win situation for the absent boat owner and her the OP. I see no downside for either.

She needs to study and take sailing lessons as well... on another boat... not the one she's boat sitting... and maybe courses on navigation and piloting etc...

I don't give a hoot what this OP looks like... but obviously looks open doors.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 14:14   #25

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu
Thanks, I have heard that from a few different people. I know you are probably right.

I'm hoping to defy the odds... as usual (my life story, lol). I've been lucky in the sense that when I go after something with 100% effort and intention, I am generally able to manifest it. Embarking upon a live aboard situation feels right on a deep core level so I'm putting 300% energy into creating it.

Thanks for wishing me luck... I need it.
Have a great day! :-))
To me......"renting" anything if about as halfway as one can get! If your love (deep core level) is that great...... find a fixer up to live aboard. You will learn all the " fun stuff" about owning a boat and save some money while doing it.

Not trying to be harsh...... just saying you should maximize all that good energy you are carrying!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 15:43   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

With a boat, renting is as smart as you can get. We owners suffer from an irrational addiction.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 18:56   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
With a boat, renting is as smart as you can get. We owners suffer from an irrational addiction.
I second that!!!!!

Ever notice that the person that starts some these threads often drift off to oblivian after all the great advise?
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:33   #28

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

You guys really thinks you gave her good advice.....
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 20:02   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Hi there!

I'd suggest joining some sailing clubs and getting to know sailors. That will start to give you experience on the water, and by meeting people you may find some connections with people who can point you toward boat renting.

I agree with one of the previous posters, I'd be very uncomfortable renting my boat to someone with no boating experience.

Good luck!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 21:33   #30

Boat: Soon to be Discovered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45
How about adopting a single guy who already has a boat??....let's see, who do I know....
Lol... Yes, that is one way... The single guy would have to be really nice, be easy going, fun, and have a great sense of humor... Its a tall order...
Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single