Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2012, 21:34   #31

Boat: Soon to be Discovered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman
It looks like Freedom 45 may have a solution for you, you should PM him and make each others acqantance.
Just did... Lol
Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 21:37   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
It's not an impossible thing to find. I had someone stay on Shiva when I went to live in Europe for about 6 or 8 months back in the 90s. I had the boat in water winter storage and found a reliable person who would care for the boat while I was away in exchange I allowed him to stay aboard...boat sitter.

So you might find this. The other approach would be to buy a boat... and live on it and begin a trial by fire so to speak even if all you do is sell the boat. You would need to find a good buy... get a mortgage and have some cash... and likely work on it as a fixer upper.. but the mortgage is like rent... added to the slip rent... and this is what many boat owners have to deal with anyway.. slip or mooring and mortgage.

I'd prefer a reliable person living aboard in winter... then leaving it largely unattended.

jef
I like the boat sitter concept... I'm not ready to buy a boat just yet. I need learn about them first so my trial by fire doesn't result in me getting scorched to death. I cave lots to learn.
Old 13-09-2012, 21:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo

Brilliant!

Run a free ad on Craigs List in your area, to boat sit. Have one fee to spend 2 hours a day on a boat, and have a higher fee to over-night. You could end up sitting several boats and turn it into a profitable business.

In the two hours a week, you scrub, clean, straighten, dust, and see to the proper mooring of the sailboat, as well as make sure she is well locked up.

I see this as a great idea. If there were a major boating community here, I would do it myself.

Lots of people who own sailboats with more money than time.
Wow, I never thought of that. Great ideas... I will look into them. Thank you!
Old 13-09-2012, 21:45   #34

Quote:
My sugestion is to find out which marina's allow liveaboards, then go there, talk to as may people there as you can, tell them what you want to do, it could be a win win for you and the boat owner who doen't use his boat or mantain it. Another way possibly to achive what you are wanting to do, is do some sort of rent to own situation, so the rules of renting a liveaboard in a marina that doesn't allow that could be satisfied.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for and looking into. I'm trying not to buy yet because I don't know enough and also I would like to live on a boat in another part of the world by next year.
Old 13-09-2012, 21:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM

I'd cross Santa Barbara off the list. The slip situation here is insane. There are several sneak-aboards around, so it can be done, but it's a hard sell. The slips have aquired this sort of non-real property value, and most folks here are afraid of losing their investment if they get caught renting out their boat/slip. If you're flush with cash, or don't mind living *really* small, there are (last I checked, which was a bit ago) live aboard permits available. The boat, slip, and live-aboard permit all have to be in your name. The Harbor Patrol stay on top of things. Not much goes down they don't know about. They may choose to ignore certain infractions (exceeding allowed time, say) for low key folk, but I'd hate to bank on that.

I often work in Channel Islands Harbor, and the situation there is better. There's none of the "pay to transfer" nonsense of SB, and since they opened up the new stuff north of the bridge there are *plenty* of open slips. Live aboard permits are in the $300-$350 per month in addition to normal slip fees. Lots of boats for sale. Lots of boats that might be rented. Marinas are mostly run by Almar. Dad said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. So I suggest giving them a Google run... The new Catalina Yacht Anchorage looks really nice (and not Almar managed). Not sure about live-aboards there. The strips of land around the harbor (Silver Strand excepted) are nice. The rest of Oxnard, well, see the above comment about Pops.

There are a bunch of apartments/condos in CI that have docks. I'm not sure what the deal is with them. The biggest one is "SeaBridge." I'd check it out on Google. Lots of vacant units. Could have your cake and eat it too.

I don't know a ton about Ventura. They have some weird rules there, but I know several people who have boats there and they all seem to like it. There's also the Ventura Keys, which are palatial homes with docks. No idea about live-aboard potential there.

Further south, I got no idea. Folks down there be crazy .

JRM
Thanks, your info is extremely helpful. I will look into it.
Old 13-09-2012, 21:59   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul
Stu, I think she plans on immersing herself in the "lifestyle" not just the sailing. I don't think it is at all unreasonable for a motivated intelligent newbie to try to find a boat owner that wants to rent and have his boat cleaned up a little and watched after in the off season, especially by a cute young woman.

In fact, I think if you hang out at the docks at your favorite marina you should be able to knock this out in a weekend if you have good "social skills" and wear appropriate attire. References would help that you aren't in the Witness Protection Program etc.

Would a homely guy be getting all this advice? Just sayin.
Thanks for correctly grasping my concept... I just figure it's easier fully immerse myself in the community while taking classes and learning as much as possible from experienced yachtsmen before biting off more than I can chew by buying the wrong boat. I am the first to admit I have lots to learn... I am however a very fast learner...

I can also assure you I am not in the witness protection program. In fact, I've never gotten in trouble for anything beyond a simple speeding ticket in my entire life. Lol...
Old 13-09-2012, 22:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
Boat sitting on a well found well maintained boat should not be a problem for an intelligent considerate and mechanically minded person. The OP wants to experience life living aboard a small boat... and learn what it like and I suppose care for it.. cleaning and so forth and being up close and personal with all the bits and pieces even of she doesn't get to use them all... like radar.

I see no problem in having such a well intentioned considerate and competent person boat sit Shiva which is or can be pretty complicated to care for... wires and hoses, pumps and so forth. But she's in good condition and I don't expect problems from living aboard at a slip from these systems.

If she pays a bit of rent I see this as a win win situation for the absent boat owner and her the OP. I see no downside for either.

She needs to study and take sailing lessons as well... on another boat... not the one she's boat sitting... and maybe courses on navigation and piloting etc...

I don't give a hoot what this OP looks like... but obviously looks open doors.
Thanks... I'm solely looking to take care of a nice boat and pay rent as well. I have no intention of taking the boat anywhere. I just want to immerse myself in the community while take classes and learning as much as possible from those around me.

I am easy going, intelligent, and very responsible... And I'm smart enough to realize that I don't know enough about boats to buy one yet... I have lots to learn first...
Old 13-09-2012, 22:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte
Hi there!

I'd suggest joining some sailing clubs and getting to know sailors. That will start to give you experience on the water, and by meeting people you may find some connections with people who can point you toward boat renting.

I agree with one of the previous posters, I'd be very uncomfortable renting my boat to someone with no boating experience.

Good luck!
Thanks, I will look into sailing clubs.
Old 13-09-2012, 22:09   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul
With a boat, renting is as smart as you can get. We owners suffer from an irrational addiction.
Thanks!
Old 13-09-2012, 22:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by randude
The fact that you mention you are a single gal with photos should help.
Thanks, I was hoping to appear normal or less mysterious by posting pics. Somehow I feel like things are being perceived different than intended...
Old 13-09-2012, 22:25   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill
You guys really thinks you gave her good advice.....
Lol...
Old 13-09-2012, 22:27   #42

Quote:

I second that!!!!!

Ever notice that the person that starts some these threads often drift off to oblivian after all the great advise?
I'm still here... And some of the advice is quite helpful...
Old 14-09-2012, 06:13   #43

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Single gal looking to live aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
Thanks, I was hoping to appear normal or less mysterious by posting pics. Somehow I feel like things are being perceived different than intended...
You do appear normal, at least to me, for what that is worth. Unfortanitly on these threads, there are a lot of guys that are sitting around with nothing better to do and you know what happens when that happens. I think that most of us have good intentions and offer advise that can be helpful.

Don't forget to let us know how your search goes; we would like to know.

If ever in Florida, give me a call and my wife and I would love to give you a sailing leason. It sounds like the two of you are very simular and would hit it off.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 06:27   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

By the way, the situation that you are looking for is not impossible to find in other parts of the US. Here in Florida there are so many boats for sale that quite a number of boat owners are having to resort to renting there boats to get something out of them, also the rules in Marina's are not as strick so finding a marina that would allow a liveaboard is much easier. If you check out the criegs list in south Florida and the Keys you will likely find a rental situation.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 07:25   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i was advised by san diego mooring co that if i have a boatsitter i will lose my mooring for my ericson...so i need to pass on this one. might be something to research before allowing someone not the owner on board.
there are some really good deals on boats --cheap!! rocketman has a good idea, and for long term, check with marinas and mooring companies before you move on board---
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single