Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2010, 00:39   #16

Boat: CSY33
Frankly, I love a woman with a whiff of diesel on her.

A slight scent of kerosene come a close second.

(But maybe I'm weird that way...)
:kissy:
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 05:14   #17

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
For diesel smells or something which one things is diesel smell, usually is from the bilge where there is always odurs of the engine sorts, oils in general, clean the bigle paint it and once finished odur it, by letting a cleaning combination lay in the bilge with a small bucket of coal, which will help to keep smells gone.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 22:12   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
clean the bilge with bilge cleaner well and drain bilges
then add bilge cleaner that is diluted into the bilges to slosh around a bit and freshen the bilges and the air!!

worked well on the boat i bought that stunk--oil and cigarettes lol.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 23:45   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The problem with diesel fuel is it sticks to every thing. It's like a virus, it'll spread from one thing to another. If someone works on a motor and then travels around the boat, they could be spreading the stuff everywhere.

A leak somewhere will only run down hill or around a bit more at sea. But to get it in your hair has to come from exposure to above foot level. But yeah! Check all the fuel line fittings and around the motors for leaks. And clean the bilges often.

Another product that helps is Windex. Use the commercial absorbent pads for oil. It's the best thing for cleaning and catching diesel fuel.

My boat is 30 years old and doesn't smell of diesel until I uncover the fuel tank and filters. There always seems to be a light film around the fitting hoses so I clean them with Windex when ever I'm in there.

Sorry there hubby! If you got busted.
Old 18-01-2010, 09:35   #20

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
"The problem with diesel fuel is it sticks to every thing. It's like a virus, it'll spread from one thing to another. If someone works on a motor and then travels around the boat, they could be spreading the stuff everywhere."

True...If I work on the motor no problem...if someone helps or mech on board...I know
I have a to spread out the old terri bath towels my wife deemed work towels ...if not
it usually takes a few inspections, by you know who, before we are good to go.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 14:24   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 42
An effective cleaner for residual fuel film in the bilge is concentrated Lemon Juice that can be obtained in bulk at most commercial or restaurant food suppliers such as "Smart and Final" for those in the US. It is very inexpensive, bio-degradable, and a few gallon dumped in the bilges with some hot (to begin with) water and allowed to slosh around for awhile does an effective job of cleaning the bilge and removing odor.

Another useful material is activated charcoal of the type used in fish tank filters. A few hands full in pouches made from old nylon stockings and hung in inconspicuous places under sinks, around holdng tank hoses, in the backs of lockers and under floorboards can dramatically reduce the presence of offensive odors.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 15:15   #22
cruiser

Calgon water softener works
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 15:40   #23

I keep a couple of lava rock deodorizing bags on pegs in the bilge. Every few months I put them on deck for a day to "recharge" in the sun. Won't help against a strong odor but helps knock down that hard-to-say-what-it-is bilge smell.

GONZO OEH212 "GONZO" ODOR ELIMINATOR 32Oz.

Also a vote for Orange TKO as a diesel cleaner (but you better like the smell of oranges)

HOME

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 14:22   #24

Boat: Cascade
Clean the bilge and keep it dry
Old 20-01-2010, 17:32   #25

Boat: Westsail 32
When we moved our boat from the Georgia coast to Oklahoma, a full 40 gallon diesel tank developed a split in transit and we had to deal with a bilge full and all the area under the sole from stem to stern had been coated by the sloshing back and forth while on the truck. This consisted of the boat itself, and all the sundry stuff stored securely beneath the sole such as lots of spare dock lines, exterior of water tanks, and assorted parts. Disposing of the diesel into a waste oil tank was the easy part - getting rid of the smell has been an 18 month job. Vinegar (neat) goes a long way but first I Bio-Bilged everything which renders the diesel water soluble and (supposedly) environmentally harmless, although most was removed via a wet-dry vacuum and not dumped into the water. Lots and lots of vinegar flushes of all surfaces. Ventilation is not the answer as the stench will remain as long as any (pretty low volatility but high sulphur) diesel remains. At this point we still use an air freshener (balsam) and can no longer detect any diesel odor, not even in the engine compartment. One day when the spirit moves me I'll remove the split tank and finish a thorough cleaning of the shelf and surrounding area before installing a new tank. Then replace the port tank as well. But with a 3 to 4 gallon diesel consumption per year, there seems no rush. Given the small current usage I'll probably install a 10 gallon tank as well, and leave the two 40's empty until we return to the sea.

As other posters have said though, if you smell diesel either (a) you have a small leak or (b) there was a spill at one time in the recent past and the remains are still there.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 16:56   #26

Re: Smelling Like Diesel

I totally agree with Randy. After scrubbing the bildge as best as I could and installing two solar vents I had just about given up and my way of adapting boiled down to getting undressed in the garage when I got home and taking a shower. While discussing another situation with Mr. Stanley at Beta Marine in NC (a very knowledgeable gentleman)I casually mentionned the diesel odor issue. He insisted that there should be no diesel odor and strongly suggested that I double check for a leak. Sure enough...the fuel filter dripped one drop every few minutes, enough to nourrish a foul odor. I replaced the Racor filter with a new one...problem solved and I am a happy camper/sailor and so is my mate.
Old 11-10-2011, 18:17   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Spill a couple of gallons from the jerry jug into the back seat of the car.

After a while you get so used to it you can't smell it at all.

Worked for us.

If that don't work, have someone install a holding tank for you (must be an old one laying around the yard.) Then let it pop when full. That'll get your mind off the diesel smell.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 20:20   #28

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
An effective cleaner for residual fuel film in the bilge is concentrated Lemon Juice that can be obtained in bulk at most commercial or restaurant food suppliers such as "Smart and Final" for those in the US. It is very inexpensive, bio-degradable, and a few gallon dumped in the bilges with some hot (to begin with) water and allowed to slosh around for awhile does an effective job of cleaning the bilge and removing odor.

Another useful material is activated charcoal of the type used in fish tank filters. A few hands full in pouches made from old nylon stockings and hung in inconspicuous places under sinks, around holdng tank hoses, in the backs of lockers and under floorboards can dramatically reduce the presence of offensive odors.

FWIW...
One could probably get the concentrated lemon juice, but old, "nylon stockings", could take some time to find.
Old 11-10-2011, 20:27   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ground coffee also kills or absorbs odors so even a nasty emergency room is nicer
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 19:43   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Just a note that the foam cushions tends to hold in the lovely boat smells over time.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote