Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 09:04   #1

Still getting closer - Status

We are looking at the Voyage 380 or the Leopard 38. Would welcome opinions We should wrap up the purchase in the next 45 days. Since we are probably buying a boat that doesn't have much on it, I will spend the latter part of the summer equipping it to go. We plan on leaving Charleston, SC when the hurricane season wraps up. We'll head to the Bahamas, Central America and South America. At this point we plan on being out for at least two years. But it is open ended......

We have a son that is 9 and is entering 5th grade and a daughter that is 6 and entering 1st grade. We plan on using the Calvert homeschooling but just now looking into it. The kids are looking forward to meeting kids on other boats. Anyone going to be in the Bahamas this winter?
Dan
DanB_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:43   #2

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
Hi Dan,

My wife and I are on a similar track and time table. No kids yet though. We will be heading out of Fort Lauderdale and down through the Leeward and Windward islands. From there we will probably be heading across to the Panama Canal. We have some final test sails on three Catamarans next week and then hope to make our purchase shortly there after. A few things we are considering would not be available until late Winter, otherwise we hope to see you out there!

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 20:47   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Dan:

I was just down in Mexico and talking w/ cruisers. One of the things they said, other than it was great that you are taking kids cruising, was that when you get on the radio nets in the mornings during the arrival/departure part you might pipe up and say, S/v leopard 38 we have a nine year old boy and a six year old daughter on board. From there play dates get set up. Good luck. We are on a slower time frame than you, and on the West Coast, but plan on getting to that side of the world in the next few years. We have a daughter nine and a son 8. Let us know how it goes.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 04:52   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
For the cruising you plan to do, either builder’s boat is fine. Look at interior layout and think about living in that space for long periods. Boats coming out of charter seem to be all beds and heads. Great for several couples sharing cost, but not perfect for a cruising family.

We are old farts, kids all up and gone, but have cruised the Bahamas the last 3 years. There were plenty of boats with kids aboard. If you get to George Town near time for the Cruisers’ Regatta, there are lots of organized activities for kids.

As a general comment, I am always impressed how well boat kids behave as compared to most shore based families.

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 05:35   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Dan,

We'll be in the Bahamas again this winter. Been doing it since 1990. We usually cross from Miami around Christmas. You and the kids'll have a great time. Once you get underway you'll meet lots of boats with kids and will probably find one or two to travel with.