Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:06   #16

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Teehee Sorry about that. If it makes you feel better I also asked Tao Jones what colour eye shadow best matches his eyes. and I asked Gord.........actually I better not say what I asked Gord
Oh David

Your sooooooo funni
Old 07-07-2009, 08:07   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would not be put off by the comment. I don't see it as an overly sexist comment. Perhaps he is is just trying to get a feel for what type of person you are and perhaps did not ask in the most appropriate way? If you are offended by that then perhaps the both of you now know that the two of you would not work well together on a boat.

Or perhaps he was testing you to see what response he would receive? Some men prefer women who would brush off such a comment.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:08   #18
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Im puzzled by a PM I received from another CF member who asked "Do you have grease under your nails.........?"

......What are these people expecting?
They are expecting that their "pick up" PM's will be successful?

Then again being an attractive lady on a male dominated forum, I guess this comes with the territory.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:15   #19

I guess thats straight out of the pick up lines book of what not to say

Can I buy you a drink?

No thanks

I guess a f**k is out of the question then?

Say, ...........do you think hes an Aussie?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:17   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Would work on me........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:19   #21

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
I trained many a telephone "man" that was a woman as women were breaking into the profession. If the woman was afraid to get oil, dirt or grease under her nails I had no use for her, and she did not surrive. That question has to do with your grit.

Ocean Girl just removed and replaced a holding tank and she was not to concerened, though she dreaded it. As an ER Nurse though the question af nails does not even have to be ask, she sees a lot worse on a daily basis. I suspect she has more than one set of charcoal stained scrubs. You know where that comes from?... Hint, It has to do with purging poison, drugs from the stomach. She has true grit, no doubt.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:21   #22
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Say, ...........do you think hes an Aussie?
I would imagine that we aren't all that different regardless of country of origin. Aussie's don't have a corner on that market.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:22   #23

You mena you would do that on the first date OJ?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
You mena you would do that on the first date OJ?
As long as she asked nicely

Although truth be told I'd probably not turn the drink down
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I trained many a telephone "man" that was a woman as women were breaking into the profession. If the woman was afraid to get oil, dirt or grease under her nails I had no use for her, and she did not surrive. That question has to do with your grit.

Ocean Girl just removed and replaced a holding tank and she was not to concerened, though she dreaded it. As an ER Nurse though the question af nails does not even have to be ask, she sees a lot worse on a daily basis. I suspect she has more than one set of charcoal stained scrubs. You know where that comes from?... Hint, It has to do with purging poison, drugs from the stomach. She has true grit, no doubt.
Yes, full respect to Ocean Girl for a job well done.
Of course, being a Nurse is seen as womans work and as such, getting dirty is in the line of duty but heaven forbid a woman to actually get dirty whilst playing with boys toys.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:39   #26

David,

Your a tart.
And an easy one at that.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:55   #27

Anjou:
I sure do not feel that way, a smart, capable woman to me is a turn on. I like women that will get right down there with you, whether it be mechanicing, cleaning fish or what ever, whinney helplessness does not float my boat.

Remember, along with equal rights comes responsibility. I have watched women treat men in ways that if another man did it the physical fight would be on. Especially old women. The were banking on them being female to get by with it. I work on a different set of rules. If I get hit, for instance, by a woman, I will hit back.

My yankee jew uncle tells a story of a woman that thought hers did not stink and he knew of her in advance. He went into the bar, she was there, and she came over and sat down beside him. He gave her a steeley look and said, "I came in here to enjoy a peaceful, thoughtful beer. Now if we are going to f*** well ok then I will buy you a drink and we will talk about it, otherwise just leave." She did for about 20 min.... I always laugh at that one.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07   #28

Quote:
Yes, full respect to Ocean Girl for a job well done.
Of course, being a Nurse is seen as womans work and as such, getting dirty is in the line of duty but heaven forbid a woman to actually get dirty whilst playing with boys toys.
I have a couple of nurse friends, has her masters and works as an antheisoligist (sp?) nurse, makes well over $100k. If I were starting out and reliving my life I would look hard at nursing. They tell me a male, strong nurse is always appreciated on a shift, if for no other reason than the heavy lifting. All those days in the 100+F heat working for the phone co, all those 33f days raining climbing poles....I think a little puke, blood and crap is no worse than a raw sewage filled telco manhole due to a leaky sewer. At least there is AC, Heat and a roof + the pay is good

The saw cuts both ways, "male jobs" being taken by women and "women jobs" being taken by men, welcome to the 21st century USA. OK by me, just remember, if you are gonna be a lumberjack, ya gotta pull your end of the saw.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:08   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
So, apparently things aren’t always as they seem; and often, comments shouldn’t be taken too literally.

Then, there’s those times when people mean just what they say; and the cow is actually on the road.
That was too funny, you sexist pig (I think sexism cuts both ways).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:17   #30

I guess i just react a little too quick sometimes when I feel im being run down.

An interresting observation here in UK is many of the corner shops that were started by first generation Indian/asian shop keepers 30-50 years ago are now closing down.

The children and grand children have moved up a social scale by better education and careers and now dont want to stand behind the counter for 15 hours a day. Like with the caucasian population here, manual labour is seen as lower class and dirty work by many and you are judged as such.

Of course, once you tell people that you dont have the office politics, the commute, the unreasonable boss and regimented working hours, they then tell you how "its alright for some" with a note of jealousy in their voice, yet still perceive you as a lesser person for doing a "dirty job"