Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 10:37   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
of course boating is just as sexist as is auto racing---use the best of it and get parts cheaper----prop can cost more if one isnt too proud to admit femaleness and show some skin----some grease under the nails is ok----means a girl is able to rebuild her own engine----all that and look good too-----nursies --i am one---have to do all --many times by them selves without assistance----not all of us are masters trained and anesthesthetists--i worked bedside in icu's, emergency and post anes for 30+ yrs--i can wear a bathing suit to a prop shop or i can assist in a rebuild or install of my own engine---btdt---put a 4-108 into my formosa to replace a ded red 4-107...lol---was a trip---so------have a good time--say that you do have the grease under the nails, but ya (will/wont) date anyone to whom it makes a big deal......lol....have fun and goood luck......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:53   #32

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
The UK's (or any country's) "Class" mentality will take generations to clear out of their society. As long as people continue to cross that line, eventually, perceptions will change. With us, here, it was "White and Male". For both, after a hundred years, this attitude of superiority of one person over another due to race or sex still persists. I am not a "girly-guy" by any means, just ask my wife, who is a max security prison guard, she'll tell ya! But I think the one thing about any human that irritates the hell outta me is what I call "The Overly Testosteroned Chauvinist Oinker With 'Tude", be it male OR female, that thinks they're "God'sGift" or better than you. There is no excuse for that type of belligerency. As a 20 year retired veteran, I've worked with every type. If you can do the job, then do the job. Nothing else should matter.

Just my 2 cents......
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:14   #33

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
My ears were burning, Now I know why. Thought I'd take a break from swabbing up blood and guts, scrub my nails and give a little encouragement to Anjou. It happens to me all the time, for some reason it has never bothered me too much, I kind of like surprising people. I took a course to get my Captains license, when I walked into the class for the first time all conversation stopped and jaws dropped. Well, I naturally though it was my classic beauty that rendered them speechless but sadly it was because not many women take captains courses. hehe...You should of seen the red faced instructor explain the easy way to remember a formula equation - Too Many Virgins Make Dull Companions, Hehe it was so cute. Wait til you get your boat, then you really got to toughen up. I usually get a "wow you have a boat?" then they say "what size ? 15 -16 footer?" It is fun watching the expression when they here it is a real sailboat not a toy. But don't be too hard on them, we ( us women) have the same stereo types. In fact, I think in some areas, we have more freedom then they do. Take it in stride you are woman hear you roar
Back to blood and guts,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 14:23   #34

OC:
What's the formula you're talking about? TMVMDC
one of my favorites is the resistor code saying BBROYGBVGW and ELI the ICEman (Voltage leads current in an inductor and current leads voltage in a capacitor)
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 19:19   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
True course +/- Magnetic Variation +/- Magnetic Deviation = Compass Course
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 19:24   #36

Navigational Formula to correct deviation/variations TVMDC
Cheers,
Erika
Old 07-07-2009, 19:38   #37
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
--say that you do have the grease under the nails, but ya (will/wont) date anyone to whom it makes a big deal......lol....have fun and goood luck......
Thoughtful post. Dating advice from an expert? Or psychologist in internet clothing?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 19:40   #38
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
The attitude works both ways. I held a door open for a female one time to which she responded " you don't have to hold that for be just cause I'm a women!" I replied "I didn't. I held it open because I am a gentleman"
Seemed like the right answer at the time
Old 07-07-2009, 20:56   #39

Much Ado

Last time I looked, the vast, vast, vast majority of pleasurecraft are owned and operated by men.
No arguments there, I suppose.

So it makes (common) sense that someone being surprised that a woman owns and operates her own boat would be an expected response.
Just following the logic

If you give this just a moment's reflection, you shouldn't be surprised. It's still a man's world, and you're going to run into that the rest of your life. Best to laugh it off and go about your way, defining yourself, instead of letting others define you.

You don't seem to be concerned about the sexism implicit in the men appreciating your physical attractiveness instead of your mechanical skill in this very thread. Where's the disdain there?

Just my $.02 worth of observation.
Old 07-07-2009, 21:07   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
In general generalizations are not a good way to desribe the general population.

Good politicians (there's an oxymoron) are excellent at appealling to the general masses as are media types. There is "truth" to appealing to the majority.

However much people like to generalize and compartmentalize other people into groups, we all usually demand to be treated as individuals and take offense when we are not.

That's how everyone thinks about it - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 21:40   #41

DRS- don't ever change! For every "sensitive" woman that looks negatively upon such gallantries there are a thousand that appreciate a true gentleman.

Since anjou works in a mans world (mechanical engineer - how cool is that!) I think we can safely assume she knows how to shrug off the "response". Sometimes its good to sound off about things/observations, I think thats all she was doing
Old 07-07-2009, 23:37   #42

Boat: Hylas 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
The attitude works both ways. I held a door open for a female one time to which she responded " you don't have to hold that for be just cause I'm a women!" I replied "I didn't. I held it open because I am a gentleman"
Seemed like the right answer at the time
Whenever a "lady" complains that I held the door for her just because she'e female, I reply, "no, I was holding the door for you out of respect for your advanced age"!
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 00:59   #43

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I took mild offence out of a knee jerk reaction based on my cultural history and past experience.

As an example, ...........nail bars are big business here, just as in the states, but ive found in the cities that many black ladies are big customers.

Why?...........my theory...........to have long well manicured nails is a sign of not doing manual work, and maybe thats a way of saying "ive moved on from my racial or cultural past of slavery"

In 15century britain, black and rotten teeth were a visable sign of having enough wealth to afford the new gold..........sugar.

Too many brits want to judge others and need a reason to elevate or distance themselves from people they might not wish to feel equal to.
Therefore, a manual worker is seen as inferior to a white collar worker.

its as simple as that
Old 08-07-2009, 02:39   #44

Boat: Buizen 48
Very interesting and not surprisingly predictable thread ......
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

Too many brits want to judge others and need a reason to elevate or distance themselves from people they might not wish to feel equal to.
IME that is a pretty universal thing. Humans are competitive animals. Just the manner of how folk display this differs between societes / cultures and sexes! Men may compete in different ways, but women fundamentaly no less so.

IMO one should only take these things personally on an individual basis, and deal with accordingly........and to delight in confounding expectations or simply enjoy hamming up your stereotype

Britain still class ridden? In some respects no doubt, but IMO more a problem nowadays with a general lack of class. Compounded in recent years by the rise of the monied Chav Class But as my Butler says: the Peasants will always be revolting

FWIW I have no problem with women who have a hands on job. It's the woman inside the dungarees () that counts. Maybe cos' I have always had a weakness for dirty women and Nuns. and Beer
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote