Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 11:10   #16

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Things you wished you'd known before you went cruising

Stand at the lee rail. Hang on. To the boat.
Old 26-11-2012, 11:20   #17

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

svBeBe, You know the definition of an expert ? Ex is a has been and a drip is a spurt under pressure.
I've fixed more diesel engines repaired by 'experts' than I care to count.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 11:39   #18

Boat: Sabre 34-2

Point one. How thick fog can really be. And no, not everyone is going slowly in the fog. And that small blip on your radar may be an 18 ft fiberglass Whaler and all you get is the engine on the return.

Point two. Someone always has to pay attention to what's going on outside of the boat. Maybe that should be point one. Attention means just that. Not chatting with the crew/guests and checking on things every so often.
doug1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 12:39   #19

Boat: Sabre 34-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideaway34 View Post
I wish I'd known how much a couple's idiosyncrasies could be magnified on a small boat. It's only been a month and I feel like I'm re-learning how to communicate with my husband. Or maybe I never really knew how?
Learning that the hard way too. At least when sailing, be specific. Just because I know what "Grab that and pull!" means, doesn't mean the crew does. Also, I have learned very quickly that we can't change what was, we can't change what is, but we can influence the future with our next choice. And, we all do dumb stuff and the day I'm perfect is the day I expect if from everyone else.
doug1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 13:00   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen
When 10 people are anchored 'over there' and nobody else is anchored 'over here' there is probably a good reason for it.
Does not apply in areas with lots of skipper yourself charters lol
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 13:19   #21

1) Many cruises are better without having crew on board. Everything lasts longer (food, water, beer etc...) and things don't seem to break as much (including the head).

2) Cruises are ALWAYS better without having a schedule to meet
Old 26-11-2012, 15:38   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka
1) Many cruises are better without having crew on board. Everything lasts longer (food, water, beer etc...) and things don't seem to break as much (including the head).

2) Cruises are ALWAYS better without having a schedule to meet
Nope company always beats being on your own.

Dave
Old 26-11-2012, 15:46   #23

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The sun is your enemy--really. Sun protection needs to be at the top of the list on any boat. Now that I have a pilot house, I don't know how I ever went south (many times) without one.
Old 27-11-2012, 05:43   #24

LOL on the mold! Other things I wish I'd known:
* The most dangerous thing to have on a boat is a calendar. Trying to schedule visits or guests makes you push weather or other conditions when you otherwise wouldn't.

* You need far fewer dress-up clothes than you think; the cruising community is very laid back. One or two nice outfits for events on shore. Keep recycling 'em because next time you need 'em, you're likely in a new place with people who didn't know you wore that before.

* You can rent a car from Enterprise (in U.S.) for $10/day on weekends. This made me feel a lot better about having sold my blue convertible Sebring before we left.

* I've been able to streamline everything in my life, except books. They just seem to multiply the longer we're out.

* It's so amazingly beautiful out there!
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 09:20   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wow--i dont have a mold problem with my clothing---and i had a very wet bilge---still dont have a mold problem and my bilges are dryer now than ever....

i did notice this new batch of cruisers coming down south have fewer manners than in days before-- when anchoring they will aim for your anchor and after 3 tries at digging it out of the sand, they will call you rude for advising them of the location of your own anchor----they will not assist in a re - anchoring , once they have dug up yours, either.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 09:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen View Post
When 10 people are anchored 'over there' and nobody else is anchored 'over here' there is probably a good reason for it.
Very good one!

"wow--i dont have a mold problem with my clothing---and i had a very wet bilge---still dont have a mold problem and my bilges are dryer now than ever...."

Yeah... that's what all cruisers think, hard to smell what you're used to! Stick some clothes in a plastic bag and send them to a landlubber and ask them what they smell! :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 12:23   #27

Boat: Currently boatless

Everyone talks about how awesome the cruising community is and how you make such great friends instantly and I wish someone had stood up and said "that's not how it is for me" because now that I'm out cruising I meet a lot of people struggling with the fact that although there are tons of social opportunities it can be difficult to fill that need for deep friendships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Stand at the lee rail. Hang on. To the boat.
Because a woman started this thread, in "Women Afloat", I'm not sure this is the advice she was looking for
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 14:29   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Everyone talks about how awesome the cruising community is and how you make such great friends instantly and I wish someone had stood up and said "that's not how it is for me" because now that I'm out cruising I meet a lot of people struggling with the fact that although there are tons of social opportunities it can be difficult to fill that need for deep friendships
That's a good one, Livia.
When one does finally make a good friend then its time to up anchor and everyone head their own ways. It's more like a constant losing of friends.

Also, all those friends from home that said they would come and stay on board in some exotic location.... Don't. Or maybe they do once but normal life consumes them and exotic is expensive and hard to get to.

I am not speaking with (too much) circumspection but single handing can add a few difficulties. Often couples have solo sailors in a special category... Breaking the ice can be more difficult.

Now, on a positive note, the impacts of fewer deep friendships can be alleviated with good interests on the boat, and I don't mean cleaning and changing oil. Before people come away they can do any number of course to help with on board hobbies or interests, including history, geography, biology, crafts and arts. To be bored on the boat without friends is not what it's meant to be.
Livias example with Interview with a Cruiser is a great example of doing something that's fun and worthwhile whilst cruising!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 19:40   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Everyone talks about how awesome the cruising community is and how you make such great friends instantly and I wish someone had stood up and said "that's not how it is for me" because now that I'm out cruising I meet a lot of people struggling with the fact that although there are tons of social opportunities it can be difficult to fill that need for deep friendships.
That doesn't surprise me, in a past life I spent a lot of extended time (over a decade or so) wandering about abroad - the top question I was always asked when back home was "didn't I get lonely?" and the answer was no - I just got bored of constantly meeting new people, having no shared past to reference is a PITA. Partly because I got fed up of hearing their stories (always a variation of same) but also because one gets bored of regurgitating own story, even when can distil it into 30 seconds .

But to be fair, have never been a "people person" - so in this case definately a YMMV thing!

In regard to MarkJ's couples comments, I agree a different dynamic than being a single person - but plusses and minuses to each. With couples can tend towards being self contained, whereas a single person has more incentive to get to know folks - even if only in passing.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 20:16   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie is the Meetin person in our little group of 2!! And through her work, we have met some folks we would be glad to see anytime!! and a bunch we don't really care one way or the other!! And a few if we saw them in a ancorage, if it wasen't to late we might sail on to another place!! But she's not gonna stop being Connie and takein fresh bread to new folks in the ancorage!! And after all our years together Im sure not gonna try to stop her !!LOL But to tell the truth I would love to be alone with her to enjoy the quite and not have to listen to loud music and such!! But then Im not really a peaple person LOL

Tags
cruising