Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 15:26   #16

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: Very Funny Misconceptions ...

They are as good as greek sailors.... a couple of times greek captains and crew were the first off the sinking vessel.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 15:41   #17

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
As a pre-school aged left hander, I figured if right handers wrote left-to-right. Then left handers must write right-to-left and backwards.
You too? That makes me feel much better.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:46   #18

One Italian Captain had the misconception that cruise ships were amphibious. But at least he knew he was not Jesus so he got on a lifeboat
Old 27-01-2012, 15:50   #19

Re: Very Funny misconceptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
When I was about 5 my grandfather died so I started wondering about funerals and heaven. I decided that after funeral at the church they would take the casket to some place with a giant conveyor belt that would take him up in the sky to heaven.

Always wondered where the conveyor belt was.
lol

When I was around four I went to the beach and saw signs that said it closed every night. I thought they drained the water out of the ocean every night and filled it up ever morning.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:37   #20

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
As I child in church we would recite The Lord's Prayer..

The line :Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

For years I thought surely, goodness, and mercy were three women following the Lord around and with any luck ME..

How old is that girl??
I am Shirley and my sister is Mercie we have been following you. please spell our names correctly. Mercie also is the the lady who has kaliidous that goes by. Often mistaken for the lady with kaleidoscope eyes. Our last name goodness Shirley and Mercie goodness.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 16:53   #21

Just in case your wondering there was no lady modegreen. We laid him on the green.
Old 27-01-2012, 17:09   #22

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Just in case your wondering there was no lady modegreen. We laid him on the green.
My mondo-green for mondo-green is a mondo-chrome....makes perfect sense!
Old 27-01-2012, 17:33   #23

Boat: hunter 376

When I was five, I was sent to live in Vancouver from Alberta. I was told there was a tree in Vancouver that was large enough to drive a car through. I envisioned a large tree, hollowed out, lying on its side, while traffic whizzed through it. I could harly wait to drive through this tree. Next, I was told a whale had been captured in Vancouver, and I was to see this whale on the very day I arrived in Van. Now I had seen pictures of whales in book, and one thing I knew was they was really really big. REALLY big. I was also told the Pacific ocean was so big you couldn't even see the other side. Really? how was this even possible? Couldn't wait. BIG trees, BIG whales and BIG water. Guess when I get to Vancouver, we'll drive through the big tree, on the way to see the giant whale, which lived in an ocean so big, you could see only water to the horizon and beyond...
Arrive in Vancouver, go see the tree...its and old knarled stump just the front of the car would fit into,,,disappointment... good thing they still had the whale and the ocean... crossed the Lions Gate Bridge, where its pointed out that we were crossing the for-real Pacific... only I could clearly see land on either side of the bridge...disappointment... good thing we were on out way to see the behemoth of the deep...we get to the harbour, and there, swimming around in circles, is a whale no bigger than a dolphin...I'm lookin' for a blue whale 100 feet long. My misperceptions of both the tree and the whale led to disappointing results, yet the size of the Pacific was many thousands of times bigger than I was expecting, yet I believed I was looking at the entire ocean from the bridge.
on a bit of a side note, I was watching history being made. The whale was named Moby Doll, and was the first killer whale ever held in captivity.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:41   #24

A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen
Double play with words. Not many opportunities to do that.
Old 27-01-2012, 18:47   #25

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, I do remember thinking (pre-school) that when the waves were coming towards the beach it meant the tide was coming in and they must break away from the beach when the tide was going out. No one told me this, I just worked out that must be how the tides came in and out.

Only problem was that I could not work out why the tide always coming in every time I went to the beach, I thought surely I must get there sometimes when the tide was falling but I never did see any waves breaking towards the sea.

After awhile I knew that I had to assume that my theory was wrong somewhere.

Then a bit later, I tried to make my transceiver radio receiver work as a transmitter by putting the batteries in back to front. Maybe 8 or 9 by then. When it didn't work, I suspect I hadn't tuned carefully enough so I very slowly swept the band with my mates receiver. In the end, I gave up and thought it was another dumb theory because if it had been so easy, everyone would already be doing it. But I had to try!

Makes me wonder now how I ever found enough smarts to get a job
Not that hard to work out... you knew where your 'surely, goodness and mercy' were coming from

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 18:57   #26

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

When I was about 5 we had a scripture class about Moses crossing the Red Sea and we had to draw a picture... I'm no dummy, I know a red crayon from a blue one!
I can still remember my mother and teacher laughing at 'my mistake'. Scarred me for many years, until I got smart enough to realize she was a pretty dumb teacher if she didn't see that one coming!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 19:14   #27

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I once had a misconception that Rocna built quality anchors.

I also once had a misconception that all Italian sailors were good captains.
You dont have to Italian to sink a boat, Hahahahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 19:18   #28

Boat: 75' 1932 UW Research Vessel

We are blessed to live in the San Juan Islands, where many people visit to experience what seems to them to be wilderness within 90 minutes of Seattle. Every year, while watching Orcas or Eagles, a stunned flatlander will turn to a local and ask "Where do they keep the islands in the winter?"
Pacificcatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 19:35   #29

"Dad, are sails electric?" That's what my 5 year old asked one evening while out sailing.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 19:51   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
lol

When I was around four I went to the beach and saw signs that said it closed every night. I thought they drained the water out of the ocean every night and filled it up ever morning.
And did you ever wonder where the kept the water?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funny