Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2010, 05:58   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
I read all of this thread, along with start to end of my older one.

I think in general if you get rid of the extreme answers everyone wants the same thing in a BOAT (and even in life). I thought it would be different between men and women because over the years I've been reading my wife's women maganzines that always they to give a different story.

Now that I have solved this it's time for me to move to an easier task - how's world peace sound!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:01   #32

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Maybe this thread question is like a government department spending a bunch of money to find out the answer is not at all surprising after all.

Hell Don, I dont read womens mags cos they have little relevance to real life at all. I suspect the hardcore readers couldnt be further from the female sailing demographic so your not gonna learn much therin.
Or maybe you are gonna learn that the mag readers are most unlikely to be the cruising type.

When I was younger, agricultural colleges didnt teach animal husbandary. It didnt need to be said how to provide the basics. Now they do teach it and it defies my logic and maybe tells you the state of society today. Its not rocket science, you just gotta ask yourself, would I thrive in these conditions? If not, dont expect an animal to either. THe basics are food, shelter, safety and mental stimulation.

Are men and women THAT different? We need the same basic things. Anything a man does after that is either selfish or plain wierd.
Old 20-02-2010, 08:47   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
as far as boats is concerned---if the man wants what i want in thje boat then is good if not--i sail solo and donot give A RATS ***... the most important things are universal--the rest irrelevant----seaworthiness and space to remain away from the other if desired, and work room and sleep room and comfort in sailing--keep the performance cruisers --is no place in them for stowage of necessities..LOL
the most important thing is to work together and enjoy the spoils of repairing the boat.....which include sailing her to wherever desired......preferably for extended lengths of time........
btw--womens ragazines donot even make decent fire starters ,..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 10:22   #34

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Made perfect sense to me..and a great list of attributes from a knowledgeable sailor....But I do find it exceedingly funny the Girls are all telling us what we want in our boats...or we can take a hike.....we better start paying attention me thinks...ROFL..

So far i have to..

1) Bath more..in a nice bathroom
2) learn to Cook better
3) keep the bed made
4) learn to play goofy songs on the guitar..and sing intimately
5) Sell the fast wide body and buy a real sail boat..preferably a cargo vessel
6) keep to my own cabin..but communicate
7) Work together but stay out of the way
8) Share the plunder
9 ) Go where the lady of the ship wants to go..for as long as she says to go that way.

Im glad Im finaly getting figured out what I want in my boat...Its leaning toward another man...ROFL..again......This is great fun!..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 11:12   #35

Stillraining, think of it as being like Buddhism.

Your collecting Karma points and when you have the full set you can move on to a new life full of happiness.

If you fail, you get to start over again and again untill you get it right.
The rewards are in heaven, paradise, nirvana.

Remember the mantra

Happy wife, happy life.
Old 20-02-2010, 11:28   #36

Cool...... now I finally know who invented the video game Mario...Buddhist monks..

I will have to admit...I have lost all my points with my wife and had to start over many, many times......Im glad shes game.

Carry on!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 20-02-2010, 11:41   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Im glad Im finaly getting figured out what I want in my boat...Its leaning toward another man...ROFL..again...
Or a compromise - half a dozen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xin_59020415202076465187.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	13392  
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 15:17   #38
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Or a compromise - half a dozen

All dark haired, what's the comprimise?

Sorry just had to
Old 20-02-2010, 15:53   #39
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
What do men want in a boat? I think it's as varied as the number of different boats out there! Big, small, fast, slow, new, old, wood, no wood. Something for everyone. And as many toys as they can afford. And - it seems clear to me from this thread - a woman onboard who wants to be there. Except for the last one, there is no "men", only each guy in particular.

My $.02.

By the way I don't care if the bed's made - it'll just get messed up again,right? LOL!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 15:57   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
As I understand this thread: She wants to know what he wants but its probably what she wants and he doesn't know what he wants and is not sure what she wants. And she states that if he doesn't understand what she wants the he should probably get a different she. But it probably doesn't matter anyway because what he wants is what she wants if they are a normal he she combination. If they arn't then shouldn't be going there anyway. And there is always a he or she that is putting something in the mix that is completely irrelevant to what she thinks he wants...
And are the references to the bed really talking about something else??
Just before I send this to the Annals of Psychiatry- Could you please restate the question and the answer?...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 18:30   #41

Boat: a sailing boat
I do not see any differences, but then again me and my first mate are sort of at the 'parnership' end of the spectrum.

I think when there are differences they either have to be respected (but they usually are not, and especially so by men), or else they lead to a break up.

On the second thought, I find that I want from the boat much more than my mate: she says the boat is fine the way it is, while I would like a shower, a huge galley and minimalistic nav area (because we eat 3 times a day but we only use the nav 5 minutes per day...).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:37   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
All dark haired, what's the comprimise?

Sorry just had to

The one in the middle with not enough bottom to hold a pair of jeans up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnical
and minimalistic nav area (because we eat 3 times a day but we only use the nav 5 minutes per day...).

b.
Im ripping my stand at nav station out because I want to be able to sit and eat at it...

Old 21-02-2010, 00:05   #43

You definately lost the plot somewhere Newt. I couldnt quite dichipher it all but I sensed a cry for help and explanation.

Maybe you were trying to say the question and answer are subjective, no one answer for the many individuals who ask the question, but there may be a basic consensus common to all.
Old 21-02-2010, 04:11   #44
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
You definately lost the plot somewhere Newt. I couldnt quite dichipher it all but I sensed a cry for help and explanation.

if this was about the orginal question: No I never was making any cry for help. I just wanted to understand want women wanted in a boat, and what differences there might be Between what men wanted and women wanted in a boat.

For example: when I was shopping for my present boat the ONLY thing my wife asked for was a real stand-up shower. But hey I wanted that alreay too!
Old 21-02-2010, 08:34   #45

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

Maybe you were trying to say the question and answer are subjective, no one answer for the many individuals who ask the question, but there may be a basic consensus common to all.
On consensus:

YES - if we think of questions like: "how many tea bags are left in the box" (provided the box is open and we can look into it.

NO - if we think of questions like: "what is the best boat varnish".

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men