Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 15:18   #1

Boat: Kolibri 12'
What NOT to Take ?!

I have to admit I'm a bit of an over packer!
I'm wondering what clothing the ladies have packed originally, never wore, carried around for a while and then threw out?
Like that very favorite white tank top? or a bra for example. any use for one of those when your sailing?
Also how many is enough? pairs of socks for example. 3 pairs? 10 pairs? who needs socks?
I imagine everyone will have some personal preferences, just wanted to get some opinions.
Please point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed.
Thanks.
Julie Poch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 16:57   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
My wife packed several pair of shoes but after 4 months realized she only needed a pair of deck shoes, a pair of flip-flops and a open toed pair of short heels. Don't ask me why the heels 'cause we only went out twice and I thought the flip flops would've been fine. But I'm a guy, I had two pair of tennis shoes (one dry the other damp and drying...LoL) and some Crocks.
Old 08-06-2010, 22:09   #3

Boat: 1969 Coronado yacht
On my boat I keep:

15 pairs of socks and underwear. That way I know if I simply do.not.have.time to do laundry for a week and a half, I'm still ok. I am a kitchen manager so my work clothes are still going to smell like onions and burgers no matter HOW many times they get washed, and those are kept in a separate bin at the front. About 10 t-shirts and five pairs of chef pants. "street" clothes and tank tops are kept in the two tiny drawers I have, and that includes about 10 t-shirts, five tanks, five pairs of jeans and various scarves/bandannas. Dresses and hoodies are hung on a hook in the cabin. I also have two mesh "hammocks" in the "bedroom" that hold sleeping nighties and sweatpants. When I moved onboard I brought what I thought was a reasonable amount of clothing but I eventually culled about a quarter of it to be put into storage because I just don't have room for more than two weeks of clothes. So I try to keep things seasonal: When Summer finally hits in Seattle, (When? when?) I will get rid of most of the hoodies and sweatpants. Thankfully, my storage unit is a two minute walk from the boat, so it's not too much of a hassle to move stuff in and out of it. Also, because I aint no girly girl, I have two "fancy" bras and the rest are sports bras. You can wad those up and shove them in a drawer and they end up taking less space than a pair of socks. As for shoes: flip flops for the shower, sneakers for walking around and one pair of fancy sneakers for going out. I keep my work shoes at work.

I would say the one thing I thought I would need a whole bunch of and found out I didn't need was nighties. Most of the time I end up sleeping in a t-shirt and sweatpants. My man is in the military and only home one weekend a month, so sleeping in a sexy nightie is totally unnecessary most of the time. I ain't here to impress nobody.
Lovelyr3ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:19   #4

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
what climes are you going to be in? if you're planning a circumnavigation naturally you'll be needing a bit more variety like fleeces, jeans etc.

socks? unless you're going hiking of course... I have a few anklets that I use with trainers when doing my aerobics.

bra's - well yeah! unless you're free and easy... and that's okay, it's just not usually very pretty when one is out and about.

When I go asore I tend to wear 3/4 length shorts (light cotton, combat style)... also have a few Columbia UV shirts. I have a pair of Keens (hybrid) - they are great. I can't stand those ponsy deck shoes. Flip-flops (about 5 pairs in different colours!) - and a pair of leather Merrell sandals... a few T/shirts - but they are too hot to wear where we are now. A couple of light cotton dresses are ideal for my lifestyle too.

On board I have loads of cozzies/bathers which I team with a short wrap skirt/sarong...

Unless you're out on the town a lot - leave all the bling behind... I have 1 pair of black trousers and a smart light top for just in case... it's also nice to "dress up" once in a while.

I also have one light long sleeved knitted top that I take with on a plane if we're flying somewhere.

Good luck....
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Again, depending on where you're going, you might want one long(ish) dress, bra and conservative blouse. There are a few islands or countries (like Man-o-War in the Bahamas for example) that are quite conservative and do not welcome women or men dressed in short-shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, etc.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:15   #6

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Hi Julie,

If it's not your boat you will be on, don't take anything that won't fit into a soft framed medium sized rucksack. You are going to be amazed at how small a space you have for your personal items. If you can, check it out a week or so before you sail.
I used to need my 20 to 30 pairs of shoes and handbags (purse) to match. I get by now, very happily, with just one pair of small heeled sandals, two pairs of trainers, a pair of deck shoes and some flip flops, no handbags, a small bill fold/coin purse and a small soft rucksack for going ashore.
One thing I'd advise about things not to take, forget anything that is not colour fast or needs special care when washing. Laundry gets done in a bucket or ashore in posh marinas that have washing machines, where the whole crew want to put as much into one machine as possible.
I'm not a girly woman either but take advice from Zee Hag's signature line about what a woman needs, .... and a black lace bra'.
If you are going to be in tropical waters, forget make-up except for possibly a couple of lip sticks, more useful will be a chap stick or lip balm and lots of sun screen lotion with a high SF number, 50 or 80 is not too high.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:24   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
A gentleman always has a suit. Mine is somewhere hanging up and next to it is Nicolle Cocktail dress / Party frock.

Apart from that your clothes can be really on the less side as we have found cheap clothing the world over.

Space on most boats is so restricted that bringing too much can mean you over pack the draws... 2 weeks later everything smells musty!

Nic was given one of those weird dresses that can become a dress, long dress, short dress, shawl, mini skirt, formal, casual... its a damn weird thing but always looks sensational on her!

Pack light and by clothes as a souvenir No, not with writing emblazoned on it, but you will remember where you bought it

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:40   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The first time we went cruising in the eastern Caribbean, I took half the clothes I thought I'd need, and ended up using only half of those. Uniform of the Day when onboard = soccer shorts, tee shirt optional.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Uniform of the Day when onboard = soccer shorts, tee shirt optional.

Hud, this thread is in the women's section.............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:43   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyr3ta View Post
On my boat I keep:

15 pairs of socks and underwear. That way I know if I simply do.not.have.time to do laundry for a week and a half, I'm still ok.
LOL!!! I find that 15 sets of undies last me two weeks and a day!!!

Bras - I absolutely need them if I'm not wearing a swimsuit, if I swing loose I get two dark half moons on my t-shirt - one under each boobie. Even if no-one is looking at me, I hate the slimy feeling it leaves!

Sailing on other people's boat - we limit any crew to one rucksack sized bag per person - and we had a family drop out of a one night campout trip to an island because they couldn't take enough gear.....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:53   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

have you seen Hud's legs when he's in his soccer shorts?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:18   #12

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
As I live aboard my boat I have way more than I would take with me if I was helping crew a boat. My list for being a member of a crew would be:

4 sets of undies (including a couple of sports bras--I'm pretty small breasted so I actually don't wear bras very often unless modesty demands it)
two pairs of khaki shorts (knee length and baggy for comfort and ease of movement)
two pairs white shorts (other wise ditto above)
two white short sleeve blouses
two khaki short sleeve blouses
one pair white trousers
one khaki skirt modest length
one pair woolen trousers
two flannel shirts
one woolen vest (just because I like vests for some reason and they are good for warmth in winter)
light weight sweater,
heavy fisherman's sweater
one rain coat
one watch coat or pea coat
cap or hat of some kind
watch cap
four pair ankle socks
one pair each khaki and white knee socks
one pair deck shoes
one pair leather shoes for going ashore
one pair sandles
one modest bathing suit
one housewife sewing kit
one toiletry kit.

If you are careful at packing and rolling, you can get most of that in a duffle bag.

One ting to remember, is to have enough modest clothing that you will not offend locals or break social taboos. In addition to some societies not liking racey or skimpyly clad women, in some areas wearing trousers is a taboo for women and a woman should only wear skirts or dresses. So if you are world cruising, be sure to have enough to choose from if you plan on going ashore.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:39   #13

Boat: 1969 Coronado yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
LOL!!! I find that 15 sets of undies last me two weeks and a day!!!
One pair of socks doesn't last me a whole day, especially in the summer. I like to change clothes halfway through the day, not because I'm vain but because I hate wearing dirty, sweaty clothes. Again, I work in a kitchen for a living so my consumption of undergarments might vary from others.
Lovelyr3ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:25   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Some countries have fairly strict dress requirements for women (and men). You might check out Jimmy Cornell's Noonsite.com website. You might also peruse some travel guides to get more info.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12   #15

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Hud knows this is the women's section...
"Uniform of the Day when onboard = soccer shorts, tee shirt optional."
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote