Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54   #76

Boat: Beneteau 473
What Would You Do If You Lost Your Partner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
Robyn, Thank you so much for mentioning the Women Who Sail facebook group! I didn't know it existed. I just joined it.

You are welcome! It is a great group and as I understand it a spin off, so to speak, of this fourm.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54   #77

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: What Would You Do If You Lost Your Partner?

A person will perceive you as a threat if he/she has little or no higher education in addition to not having any marketable skills to earn a decent living.

Mauritz
Old 04-03-2014, 03:59   #78

But out here we are all just cruisers, so what would be the criteria to determine who is threatening?
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 04-03-2014, 04:53   #79

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
But out here we are all just cruisers, so what would be the criteria to determine who is threatening?
Not so with some gringas I've observed. An attractive, intelligent, single female will put them on the defensive. Interesting that women in 2014 still feel so dependent on a male that they must defend their "security".
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:04   #80

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
so what would be the criteria to determine who is threatening?
Sorry to be direct but

Tight butt, nicely shaped headlights, god gams (cheap detective novel jargon), exhibiting an attitude of willingness

Plus more that others can think of. The above doesn't have to true at all, it just needs to be PERCEIVED as being true. It's really just a sign of our own inferiority

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:12   #81

Boat: Coast 34

Carsten, to get back to your paperwork post, do you think the document should be translated and notarized?
Annie in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30   #82

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie in WA View Post
Carsten, to get back to your paperwork post, do you think the document should be translated and notarized?
I wouldn't bother translating. English is (as in air travel) the maritime language. I would have it notarized. Stamps and signatures make everything much more official.

It has happened to cruisers that the survivor got kicked off the boat waiting for an estate to settle. A notary fee is miniscule .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:27   #83

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I have no idea how the laws work in the US, although I suspect it is different from state to state. As soon as you leave the US, however, local country laws come into effect. Among them are impoundment while awaiting settlement of the estate (this can take a very long time, and end up being very expensive as documents need to be translated, filed and usually you need a local lawyers help etc) In the meantime, the authorities might take the view that since they are impounding the boat, the survivor can't live on it. Now what?

Many countries take the concept of the Master of the boat (captain) quite seriously. A short document similar to what I have noted earlier, clears a hell of a lot of hurdles out of the way. The survivor is now officially Master of the boat, with authority to do what they want with the boat.

If you don't think my document goes far enough, add another document, co-signed by both owners directing that the First Mate become Captain and does what they want with the boat.

It is a simple document, and notarization costs almost nothing.
I think I get it now.
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:34   #84

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Therapy, what Carsten said above is what I am referring to. But I also realize we should have copies of our wills and the LLC documentation on board. I did think to bring our marriage certificate though.

Robyn
I don't really know why but carrying originals of things that only stay in a safe deposit box makes me nervous.

Do most carry originals in case "only the original" will do. Or so I have heard.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I don't really know why but carrying originals of things that only stay in a safe deposit box makes me nervous.

Do most carry originals in case "only the original" will do. Or so I have heard.

Actually, I was thinking copies of the wills, but the original of the LLC papers. But maybe it is easier to the dissolve the LLC now and have both our names on the USCG documentation.

I agree, keeping originals on the boat is a scary thought!

Robyn
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52   #86

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31

I was actually the original poster of this question on Women who sail. I have been overwhelmed by the response both there and here. The question has clearly engaged and touched many sailing couples, so even though the subject is a very sad thought, I am glad I posted it and that it also has been reposted here. The response shows that there is a need to talk about it and be prepared. My husband and captain died last year after he suddenly (overnight) lost his mind owing to Herpes Simplex Encephalitis. We were at anchor in Greece.
Needless to say I was devastated and it was heartbreaking to return to the boat without him. I decided nevertheless to carry on sailing despite all the difficulties and many hurdles to get over. After only one summer of sailing alone from anchorage to anchorage I can honestly say I don't regret keeping the boat. I have more contact with people at an anchorage than I've ever had at home in a house. I have now started a series of lectures at yacht clubs where I tell other sailing couples my story and let them know the necessity of preparing for the worst. If I had been better prepared to handle the boat on my own I could have got help quicker than I did. It would also have been easier for me now. If only I had insisted on my husband teaching me everything he knew about the boat and engine as long as he was able to. Suddenly it was too late.
I have a blog where I have written the whole story and there is also a selfie video of me sailing. I'm not allowed to post a link here but you can find it if you google yachtswoman blogspot and sailing on- singlehanded.
Aquarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37   #87

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
A person will perceive you as a threat if he/she has little or no higher education in addition to not having any marketable skills to earn a decent living.

Mauritz
I guess I fall into both categories (uneducated/broke-ass)

While it might on the surface appear trifling or mean spirited to keep a widow at arms length, it's just seems like common sense to view a recent widow(er) as a threat. It's quite possible that the survivor would be emotionally unstable, lonely, prone to poor decision making, etc. People are people and sometimes they aren't always honest, so while I expect any decent person would try to console the bereaved..It would be prudent to be wary.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarella View Post
I was actually the original poster of this question on Women who sail. I have been overwhelmed by the response both there and here. The question has clearly engaged and touched many sailing couples, so even though the subject is a very sad thought, I am glad I posted it and that it also has been reposted here. The response shows that there is a need to talk about it and be prepared. My husband and captain died last year after he suddenly (overnight) lost his mind owing to Herpes Simplex Encephalitis. We were at anchor in Greece.
Needless to say I was devastated and it was heartbreaking to return to the boat without him. I decided nevertheless to carry on sailing despite all the difficulties and many hurdles to get over. After only one summer of sailing alone from anchorage to anchorage I can honestly say I don't regret keeping the boat. I have more contact with people at an anchorage than I've ever had at home in a house. I have now started a series of lectures at yacht clubs where I tell other sailing couples my story and let them know the necessity of preparing for the worst. If I had been better prepared to handle the boat on my own I could have got help quicker than I did. It would also have been easier for me now. If only I had insisted on my husband teaching me everything he knew about the boat and engine as long as he was able to. Suddenly it was too late.
I have a blog where I have written the whole story and there is also a selfie video of me sailing. I'm not allowed to post a link here but you can find it if you google yachtswoman blogspot and sailing on- singlehanded.

Aquarella, thank you for sharing your story over here too. Your post on WWS made really think about things none of us really like to think about. I re-posted here because I was curious about what the men would say and wondering what the women on here thought. Thank you for your post and the dialog it has started.

Robyn
Old 11-03-2014, 04:57   #89

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarella View Post
...Suddenly it was too late.
Losing my wife reinforced my view that reality is fragile and subject to sudden change. I try to remember to be more concious of that and appreciate every day...not always successfully (like engine work all day yesterday).

Also, a reminder for those who have not lost a spouse yet, appreciate every day you have...it may be the last.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:39   #90

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Losing my wife reinforced my view that reality is fragile and subject to sudden change. I try to remember to be more concious of that and appreciate every day...not always successfully (like engine work all day yesterday).

Also, a reminder for those who have not lost a spouse yet, appreciate every day you have...it may be the last.
So true. You become a lost soul instantly, and the path to find normalcy is very long. try to live your life so you have no regrets.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost