Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 09:59   #16

Re: When do you know with cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
A recent thread about cats prompted me to post this.

I've always wondered about live-aboard cats. Since they are all individuals, and in my time I've known a cat who, from the moment she came into my life, hated motion that she didn't cause (being carried, riding in a car, and, yes, the one time I rowed her 50 feet out to an island as an experiment and she jumped off and swam rather than ride in the boat.)

How do you know that your cat can live on a boat? Can a cat who hates motion get used to the constant motion of a boat? Has anyone had a cat who failed at boat life (and then what?).

And how do you handle litter? Just another smell you get used to, or is there a cleverer solution I need to know? (In Russia, I knew people who trained their cats to use the head.)
My beloved cat could not get used to the boat if it moved. He was fine living on the boat until it moved. Drugs etc didn't work. As soon as I started the engine he got sick. We tried putting him in the head when we'd start out, but he went crazy scratching the woodwork and he figured out how to open the head door! So he stayed with grama on the next cruise. Here he is having his waffles aboard:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jasperwaffles 001.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	228356  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:29   #17

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My beloved cat could not get used to the boat if it moved. He was fine living on the boat until it moved. Drugs etc didn't work. As soon as I started the engine he got sick. We tried putting him in the head when we'd start out, but he went crazy scratching the woodwork and he figured out how to open the head door! So he stayed with grama on the next cruise. Here he is having his waffles aboard:
My cat, too, could open doors. She was also very trainable: She liked playing games, so as long as it was fun for her, I could ask her to give a paw or roll over or hop up, and she'd do it (in exchange for a good scratching session.)

But she would've hated everything about a boat except the many hiding places.

From this feedback, I believe I would only try this with a small kitten, if that.

Thank you all.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
My cat, too, could open doors. She was also very trainable: She liked playing games, so as long as it was fun for her, I could ask her to give a paw or roll over or hop up, and she'd do it (in exchange for a good scratching session.)

But she would've hated everything about a boat except the many hiding places.

From this feedback, I believe I would only try this with a small kitten, if that.

Thank you all.
That particular cat had a dog personality. One of the best pets I ever had. Finally lost him to old age several years ago. Yes, many success stories of cruisers who got kittens while cruising who were fine. I knew one couple who trained the cat to not go near the water by putting them in when anchored. However, it's not uncommon for cats to be lost overboard. They cant grip a deck.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That particular cat had a dog personality. One of the best pets I ever had. Finally lost him to old age several years ago. Yes, many success stories of cruisers who got kittens while cruising who were fine. I knew one couple who trained the cat to not go near the water by putting them in when anchored. However, it's not uncommon for cats to be lost overboard. They cant grip a deck.
I'm sure Torsten Schmidt at Sirius yachts would make me a customized cat-grip deck if I were willing to pay for it
Old 09-12-2020, 11:46   #20

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Our cat, Simi has been onboard fulltime cruising for 4 years, was about 2 when she came on, never seen a boat before.

Learnt on day one that the engine room was out of bounds.
A few weeks later she found out what happens if you chase swallows and run off the rails (lucky we had a landing net on hand)
Never a problem since

Doesn't like it in the rough but neither do we, but she finds a locker with my shirts and disappears until hungry.
During calm passages she lies at my feet in the wheelhouse or finds a patch of sun to lie in.

Litter tray with cheap clumping clay litter is out on top deck under roof.
She throws it around a bit but easily swept up or hosed off

99% of the time, happiest cat in the world
Fresh caught fish , sleeping in the sun and occasional chasing of swallows when they torment her.
Never seen a vet, no drugs, no nothing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB_IMG_15400104591954589~01.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	228357  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 13:08   #21

When do you know with cats?

Certainly with any pet it is best to get them as kittens/pups so they grow up fully accustomed to the boat. Makes sense.

My cat is scared to death of rain. But he lived his first 9 years of life with us in the Middle East (yep - Moe is an Arab) and it doesn’t rain much there. Never even dared try take him out on the boat with us over there.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 13:14   #22

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

When I was a commercial fisherman, there were several liveaboard families fishing. Most had dogs, cats, or both. The consensus was to bring them aboard as young as possible and they wouldn't get seasick.
I've always had dogs. Never had one get seasick.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 14:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
When I was a commercial fisherman, there were several liveaboard families fishing. Most had dogs, cats, or both. The consensus was to bring them aboard as young as possible and they wouldn't get seasick.
I've always had dogs. Never had one get seasick.
I'm certain dogs are more amenable to boats by their very nature (I have never seen a cat enjoying a car ride by leaning out the window) and obedience.

Alas, I'm not really a dog person.

I appreciate the advice on youth! Thanks for contributing.
Old 09-12-2020, 14:16   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41

Rosie the cat lives aboard SV Cetus
https://www.sailblogs.com/sbgallery/...w/sb9mrmtw.jpg
https://www.sailblogs.com/sbgallery/...w/sb0wx30h.jpg
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/cetus/
down in Baja.

She uses the head for her "business" (tho' she hasn't yet figured out how to pump it out...).

We always had a good laugh when sbe tormented the dogs on the docks of Marina Palmira, who couldn't get at/near her on Cetus' deck.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 14:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
She uses the head for her "business" (tho' she hasn't yet figured out how to pump it out...).
THAT is what's up. I'm happy to pump the poop. Besides, half the humans who come on board for daysails can't figure out the head, so I'm often flushing for them, too. I raised two kids, so that kind of sh_t doesn't bother me. So to speak.

Will check out those blogs, and thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-12-2020, 15:03   #26

Really no difference between pets and humans as to their comfort and enjoyment and acceptance of boating. Some do well from the start, some adjust and adapt, others hate it.

Ultimately, you may end up with two choices, get rid of the pet or the boat. Pick one and move on with life.

[And no that is not an invitation to shift this thread topic to a debate over monohulls / halfboats, and CATamarans / multihulls.]
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 15:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Really no difference between pets and humans as to their comfort and enjoyment and acceptance of boating. Some do well from the start, some adjust and adapt, others hate it.

Ultimately, you may end up with two choices, get rid of the pet or the boat. Pick one and move on with life.

[And no that is not an invitation to shift this thread topic to a debate over monohulls / halfboats, and CATamarans / multihulls.]
Nice one re: CATs

Yeah, I have a human son who will not daysail, much less cruise. We've reached an arrangement, without me having to get rid of either. Once a year, on my birthday, we motor out to a favorite, sheltered anchorage, grill and watch a movie, then we motor back.

I have yet to acquire a boat cat, and after this thread, probably will not.
Old 09-12-2020, 17:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN2140 View Post
Some of the comments about seasick and frightened cats on board verge on animal cruelty. Do you really need to subject a helpless animal to fright and discomfort to assuage your "need" for companionship? If your answer is still yes, at the very least get a kitten and try her out on day trips before casting off for some far flung romantic isle, and if it doesn't work out find her a good home where she will feel loved and secure. It's not all about you.
From Marin County CA? Figures. Not everyone can pull up stakes and abandon a boat because their cat is seasick. Nice thought though.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 18:30   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

I should say, we sailed with our cat seasonally for a number of years. He definitely got better over time. He never fell or went over the side, although one time our dog (which we also sailed with for a few seasons) nearly knocked the cat off the boat.

We found ways to make the cat more comfortable in lumpy seas. He preferred staying in a wicker-type box in the cockpit. It was open to the top, but we'd put some cushion walls all around to make him feel safe. This helped a lot.

But sometimes when we'd get into big ugly waters there was just no consoling him. He'd get scared, then sick ... as in vomit sick.

We finally decided to stop torturing the poor kitty, and gave him to a relative. He is now a lazy, fat, indoor cat who is very happy. We get to see him quite regularly, so it all worked out. But I do miss having a little critter on the boat. As I say, if we ever move on full time we'll likely get a kitten.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6822.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	228378  
Old 09-12-2020, 20:19   #30

Just Google "cat seasickness" and you'll see lot's of resources. PetMD and other reputable sources are listed. Hopefully the supplements, herbs, pheromones and drugs can get them over the "hump" so they can acclimate to the motion.

I have two cats with very different dispositions who will accompany me on the boat - once I get past this latest wrench in my plans. There's always a wrench, isn't there...
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote