Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 07:49   #16

Boat: looking for my Lady
Re: Wifi in the Caribbean

PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Shagsalot View Post
I would recommend a multi-tiered approach.
Sony has number of Phones and Tablets that are IP58/68 raated, meeaning with all flaps closed they are waterproof. Headphone Jacks are waterproof without pplugging them.

Even better, they have an external charging ports thatt with right dock charge them without needing USB Cables, so remaining water/moisture proof.

Screens are good and processsssors are fast.

One of these (I am typing this in a Bar on a Sony 10" tablet + Buetooth Keyboard) per family member and maybe a spare (for flat battery, forgot to charge etc.) can access all content, watch 1K video, play music and answer emails, surf web if the connection is up to it or be used as display for those cameras or as GPS .

Older generation units (look for Xperia Z2 TTablet) often are massively discounted (unlike Appple iPads which hold value 2nd handd nevver miind new but old generation and which also like water as much Bowery Bum on a Drun and generally suck) and are neary as good as the latest and greatest.

So, ideally on-shore data crypt with remote connect and sync to off-shore, off-shore data crypt with Cellnet Data and Shortwave SSB data attachment and a bunch of Android tablets (plus kindles for thoose who want them) and you only miss the daily cat videos if you are honest.

Greez SSAL

VENI, VIDI, SEDUCEBAMBUR VIRGINIUM
Sir Shagsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:20   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

In Nov. 2014, I published an article about internet on board after 6 months in Med and 8 months in the Caribbean (Grenadines to BVI). In short, if you are in marinas or crowded anchorages, no need for a booster. Otherwise, use your smartphone with prepaid SIM as your onboard hotspot. We acquired a booster since we are in Bora-Bora as wifi is OK even from pretty far out and 3G is unpayable here (only 1 operator).

You'll find price comparisons in the Carib, do's and dont's and a few tips to avoid ruining your budget with internet fees in the article.

Article here (there is a link to the English translation in Multtihulls Magazine): http://sailingsalamander.blogspot.co...rnet-bord.html
Old 23-10-2016, 13:45   #18

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets

I'm considering buying an unlocked hotspot and buying a SIM card and data service in BVIs or from MrSimCards. Any advice on this idea? Does it matter which hot spot I buy?

And any input on which carrier has the best coverage-- Lime, Digicel, CCT?
s/v Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, wifi