Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2021, 04:51   #1

World ARC 2025

Hi. I know it’s a long way off but my wife and I along with our son, who will be 8/9 are committed to do the World ARC stating 2025. We would love to connect with other families planning to do the same and to creat a mini network in preparation for the big trip. Prior to that we are planning to explore the Med in 2023, do the ARC in 2023 and then tour the Caribbean in 2024 prior to setting off on the World ARC 2025. Please get in touch. We are buying a brand new Seawind 1600 for our adventure and would love to have some friends with us.
david poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 05:14   #2

Re: World ARC 2025

David
I also am planning a world ARC 2025. I have yet to acquire my boat but I am in the process of doing so. I will also be stagging in the Carribean prior to leaving. maybe the only difference, I am a bit unsure at this time, whether I will formally join the ARC or just be a bit ahead of them on my own. I had a friend who did the first half ahead of the ARC and he said there were some advantages.
Feel free to reach out with a PM
Don Henline
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 05:36   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by david poole View Post
Hi. I know it’s a long way off but my wife and I along with our son, who will be 8/9 are committed to do the World ARC stating 2025. We would love to connect with other families planning to do the same and to creat a mini network in preparation for the big trip. Prior to that we are planning to explore the Med in 2023, do the ARC in 2023 and then tour the Caribbean in 2024 prior to setting off on the World ARC 2025. Please get in touch. We are buying a brand new Seawind 1600 for our adventure and would love to have some friends with us.
It will be interesting if after 2 years of cruising your family's decision will still be to do a circumnavigation in 15 months.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 05:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 05:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
David
I also am planning a world ARC 2025. I have yet to acquire my boat but I am in the process of doing so. I will also be stagging in the Carribean prior to leaving. maybe the only difference, I am a bit unsure at this time, whether I will formally join the ARC or just be a bit ahead of them on my own. I had a friend who did the first half ahead of the ARC and he said there were some advantages.
Feel free to reach out with a PM
Don Henline
Not sure I see any advantage to shadowing, before or after, the World Arc.
Trying to do a circumnavigation in 15 months without the shore support supplied by the Arc is just a little crazier than doing it with the Arc. You'll be spending your time fixing your boat in exotic ports and blowing days of time dealing with bureaucracy. There won't be much time left to do anything else.

If you really want to do a fast circumnavigation and only have a brief time to do it, the Arc could be a decent match. Otherwise, it will be a lot more enjoyable if you can be a more flexible on the schedule.
Old 14-10-2021, 05:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It will be interesting if after 2 years of cruising your family's decision will still be to do a circumnavigation in 15 months.
Yes that’s a very good point indeed. In fact I was discussing that very point with Nick from Sailing Ruby Rose at the Southampton boat show. Our Med and Caribbean trips won’t be full time actually as our son will stay in full time school until the big trip. We do realize it’s one hell of a fast trip and we will regret moving on so fast from some amazing locations. We will have to return another time at a more leisurely pace. Fact is we have decided that Elliot will return to school in Year 5 and 6 (uk) and continue into full time schooling. (at least that’s our current plan &#128521
Old 14-10-2021, 06:00   #7

Quote:
Trying to do a circumnavigation in 15 months without the shore support supplied by the Arc is just a little crazier than doing it with the Arc. You'll be spending your time fixing your boat in exotic ports and blowing days of time dealing with bureaucracy. There won't be much time left to do anything else.

If you really want to do a fast circumnavigation and only have a brief time to do it, the Arc could be a decent match. Otherwise, it will be a lot more enjoyable if you can be a more flexible on the schedule.
Very good points. My feeling is that the true value of World Cruising is the assistance with the administration. Particularly in the early stages. ie Panama Canal,, Galápagos Islands etc. I think the value of World Arc after Australia is less important. You can book the trip in different sections so could be a good idea to go independent for the second half.
Old 14-10-2021, 06:02   #8

Quote:

Totally agree. Crazy to go so fast but even crazier to go it alone. We have no choice. ��
Old 14-10-2021, 06:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.
Thankyou. What an incredible resource !!!
Old 14-10-2021, 06:41   #10

Quote:
Very good points. My feeling is that the true value of World Cruising is the assistance with the administration. Particularly in the early stages. ie Panama Canal,, Galápagos Islands etc. I think the value of World Arc after Australia is less important. You can book the trip in different sections so could be a good idea to go independent for the second half.
The Panama Canal is not really difficult to arrange. You just need a little flexibility in your dates. The Galapagos just takes money. You have to have an agent there either way.

Yes, I've known some W Arc folks who dropped out in Australia and went on their own. You don't get anywhere like half your money back.

I'd say on a typical west about circumnavigation things get harder after Australia, not easier.
Old 14-10-2021, 07:38   #11

That’s really interesting. I’m hearing different views on that. Any advice is very welcome. We are newbies to this. Thanks for sharing any thoughts welcome.
Old 14-10-2021, 07:46   #12

Boat: CL14 #1179

Start a 2025 World ARC facebook group.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 07:51   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 08:04   #14

Quote:
That’s really interesting. I’m hearing different views on that. Any advice is very welcome. We are newbies to this. Thanks for sharing any thoughts welcome.
Maybe its just my fresh thoughts being currently about 80% through crossing the Indian Ocean and working on the rest of the way.
Old 14-10-2021, 12:31   #15

Hi Friends,
I know it’s way in the future
However I will be looking for a crew spot
for the first half of the World Arc.
In addition if anybody needs crew
for next summers Baltic Arc
please contact me.
I have done 2 events with the WCC
and will be doing the Caribbean 1500