Old 18-04-2006, 09:33   #31

Boat: Pearson 28 Providence
Agree also
Wendy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 11:06   #32
cruiser

Yelling

You got your maneuver bass ackwards.
Big ships blown agaist the dock, leave a spring line from the bow, to amidships on the dock. They power into this spring with the helm and wash pushing the stern out ,and when they are in a good position , quickly reverse and release the spring when the stern is going in the right direction.
I remember a story about charter captain telling his crew" On this boat we don't run. Running shows the world that we are incompetent. On this boat we don't yell. Yelling shows the world that we are incompetent. We walk and we talk,well in advance."The need to yell shows a lack of advance planning and instruction, in other words , incompetence.

Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 12:21   #33

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottygirlz
Well now I know what I have been doing wrong....I've been using a mouse coming out of the hole and around that tree...should have been a rabbit! Actually I have practice ropes and I will sit and practice, practice, practice...finally I will tie the bowline sucessfully 10 times...yeah! I'm good to go! Then we get on the boat, pull into one of our favourite coves and I try to tie the knot...nope. can't do it.....looks like there is alot more practie in store for me..... Lori, Rick and Shadow
Practice doing it with your eyes shut. The reason you can do it when you practice is that all your attention is focused on it, when it comes time to do it for real at least half your attention is elsewhere. Practicing with your eyes shut will make doing it for real so much easier with eyes open, that your attention can be shared elsewhere!
Old 18-04-2006, 14:04   #34
Kai Nui

THe trick to learning knots and splicing is to sit down in front of the television, and just start doing it over and over. Back when... that is how I learned to build bicycle wheels. I got to the point where I could turn out a couple per hour while sitting in front of the TV. It was only when I was ready to true them up that I had to pay attention. I have done the same on the past three boats I have rerigged, sit in the saloon with a drink, a spool of rope, and a mindless program on the tube. It is amazing how easy it is.
Oh and to keep on track here, I have been known to yell at the rope. Especially when working with smaller line. Occassionally the cat as well
Old 20-04-2006, 10:38   #35

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
Practice doing it with your eyes shut. The reason you can do it when you practice is that all your attention is focused on it, when it comes time to do it for real at least half your attention is elsewhere. Practicing with your eyes shut will make doing it for real so much easier with eyes open, that your attention can be shared elsewhere!
Thanks for that tip, I definitely give that a try maybe after getting it right a few times with my eyes open.

Kai, when I practice it is usally in front of the TV...It provides suitable background noise without being a distraction. Oh and I talk to my ropes as well...sometimes I raise my voice...they don't seem to mind

Lori, Rick and shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 02:00   #36

Boat: Admiral 32 , 33' , Vagans
Well,

I all I have to say if there is good women out there tired of boing yelled at, come crew with me and I promise you won't be yelled at.
Old 19-06-2006, 20:17   #37
Kai Nui

knottygirlz, you charmer you Susan also crochets, macrames and all that other crafty stuff that I just do not have the patience for, she also has a hard time with knots and splices.
Longhair, good luck
Old 21-06-2006, 18:30   #38

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
Susan also crochets, macrames and all that other crafty stuff that I just do not have the patience for, she also has a hard time with knots and splices.
It is truely a shame that we live at opposite corners of this continent. I think I would really enjoy meeting Susan. I have this little mental image of us doing our crafty stuff earlier in the day, moving to knot practice later on and, when that gets frustrating, going and clearing out some of the local bars with our sailor speak

Lori, Rick and Shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 19:41   #39

I can tie a bowline, but Scott has to tell me R-E-A-L S-L-O-W My grandfather tried to teach me but he would yell. He used to say that my life or someone elses might depend on it. It was allot of pressure for a 4 year old.
As for the "sailor speak", yep, I have it down. I have even made a few old sailors blush
Old 21-06-2006, 20:59   #40
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I'm not that OLD Anyway .. Lori? Just don't let Susan near the tequilla.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 21:03   #41
Kai Nui

Thomas, you know she thinks of you as more of a fraternal figure. She was refering to her actual grandfather As for tequilla, while she has very little self restraint, even Susan draws the line there
Old 21-06-2006, 21:08   #42
Senior Cruiser

thats right ... eh eh eh .... gett'n along in years, but can still sail.

:::smiling down on little girl Susan - such a cute little kid:::

It's hell gett'n old, but beats the alternative.
Old 21-06-2006, 21:14   #43
Kai Nui

From that altitude, you can't do much else So, speaking as official crew of the sailing yacht Elusive, I can attest to the fact that you do not yell. Even when a lawyer is freaking out about the whale on the endof the fishing line
Old 21-06-2006, 21:27   #44
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
From that altitude, you can't do much else So, speaking as official crew of the sailing yacht Elusive, I can attest to the fact that you do not yell. Even when a lawyer is freaking out about the whale on the endof the fishing line

ROFLMAO - ... I had forgotten that ... that was SO funny.

"It's Moby F'n Dick on here!!!!"
Old 21-06-2006, 21:35   #45
Kai Nui

Yep, she was doing some yelling, but our illustrious skipper was calmly going about the business of performing rescues