Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 08:44   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Hunter Passage 42 Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saline Canine View Post
Will someone please remind me of why these boats are so heavily despised?
I have to say I agree with you. Why do Hunter boat's in general get such a bad rap from so many people? From what I have read, sometime in the 80's, hunter boat's may have cut some corners and cheapened up there hulls and components. Maybe this reputation is stilll following them? I think there also may have been a time when blistering was a problem. Does anyone know if this is true or rumor.

I have to say that hunter boats from the late 80's to current, all seem to be very well thought out, pretty, and orginized. I myself have stayed away from them because of there reputaion, which I am not convinced it deserved. It's about getting the most for your money, and in the 42 passage, from what I can see, it looks like a lot of boat for the money.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:45   #17

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
Located in Florida at the moment but we are heading to the DR shortly. We will be back in Florida next year to possibly sell the boat. My wife seasickness is the biggest problem but she keeps coming back for more.
Seasickness is horrible.....your wife should consider Sturgeron tablets from UK if you can get hold of them, most excellent remedy.... virtually nil side effects!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57   #18

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

I wish I could get them. Had some last year from New Zealand but no source anymore. Anyway she suffers through it and I feel bad for her but when we reach the destination all is well.

I am not sure why Hunter gets the bad rap. My friend from NZ sailed with us last year and that was his opinion until he was on the boat for a month and he has changed his mind. I love my Hunter and the worst day in my life will be when I sell it........

My Hunter handles the wind and waves nicely. Also we are comfortable aboard.
Old 27-01-2013, 10:32   #19

Boat: Pearson 39 Yawl, Tangerine

Hunter 420 for sale on kijiji/ craigslist Broward County Fl. listed as $149,000, But is project boat, available ,soon. Pic's on site, I have seen the outside, fairly clean, very light use. Inside as per Pic's not good.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58   #20

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We acquired our Hunter Passage 42 last August, and so far have not been disappointed. Surveyor was very complimentary on the the vessel's build and systems.
s/v Serenity
Old 09-05-2013, 13:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7zpx View Post
We acquired our Hunter Passage 42 last August, and so far have not been disappointed. Surveyor was very complimentary on the the vessel's build and systems.
s/v Serenity

I checked out your blog, excellent!!

Im still looking for a boat.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2013, 20:22   #22

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Panasea - thanks for the blog feedback. When we were looking there was a '94 H42 at Marina Del Rey, similar to ours in equipment and condition, except for in-mast instead of in-boom furling - only 900 engine hours. They've come down in price, but still a little over your target budget - also located out here on the West coast. Wish you the best with your search
Old 25-06-2013, 05:26   #23

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Still no luck, looked at a few but they had water damage, these are nice boats why wouldn't people take care of them ?

Search continues .
Old 09-08-2013, 02:59   #24

Hi, I live in St Andrews Scotland & have just bought a passage 42 from the south of England and sailed it 900nm home. I am over the the moon! I have taken loads of pictures, she is incredible for a yacht this side of the Atlantic. I had 14 knots of wind on the beam and she clocked off 140nm in one stretch at 8.8 knots. Can I help with any other questions?

Regards Bill S
Old 09-08-2013, 05:33   #25

We sailed Hunter 336 and a Hunter 410 for many years. I always called the 410 the Honda Accord of sailing you get a lot of boat for the money. She sailed great and I never felt unsafe when we got stuck in bad weather.

We bought the 410 new after Sept 11. I think Hunter and their suppliers put a lot of effort into those boats. We have had brokers of high end sailboats comment on the quality of the joinery in the salon and how all the grains of the wood line up. On deck it was Harken all the way.

hunter stood behind their work and were a great source when looking for replacement parts.

Given the large number made there are always plenty on the market. Wasn't to hard to sell when the time came to upgrade.

I haven't sailed any of hunters current model, but I do feel the look more like RVs than boats. Perhaps that is what the market wants.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52   #26

Boat: Hunter 42

We sail a Hunter Passage 42, mid-90s. Love the boat, she takes us where we want to go in style. Right now she's in Isla Mujeres, we're in New Orleans. We've been sailing the Western Caribbean for two sailing seasons. Next year we go East. Lotta boat for the money.

Tags
hunter, passage, wanted