Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2022, 14:14   #1

Boat: Morgan 33 O/I
Morgan O/I 33' Sailboat

Classic Morgan sailboat, commissioned 1974, shoal keel, super sturdy boat. Built back when fiberglass was layed on thick - it's incredibly strong. Reliable Yanmar 30hp diesel engine. Solar powered, so you're not dependent on shore power.
The roomiest 33 footer you'll see. Set up for living aboard.
$29,900

Some details:
LOA: 33'
LWL: 27.5'
Draft: 3.92"
Disp: 14,500lbs
Beam: 11.83'

- The previous owner, who was a diesel mechanic, replaced the old Atomic 4 gas engine with a nice reliable Yanmar 3YM30, and stuck a high output alternator 5YDXMI-113N 22.1 kw to speed battery charging. There's around 400 hours on it so far.
- Raymarine FLS Ecopilot forward looking sonar
- Raymarine radar
- Ritchie Powerdamp compass, serviced with new fluid
- Standard Horizon Matrix GX300S VHF
- Raymarine C80 Chartplotter
- Nav equipment comprises older models, so you may want to install your own new models with the latest software.
- 2 newer Nautilus AGM 100AH batteries
- Noco 120v battery backup charger
- 3 older 50W solar panels, with GoPower solar regulator, still working beautifully
- Bluesea AC/DC breaker panel with real time power usage readouts
- 2 shore power outlets, both 30w. We used one in the summertime, hooked up with the main Bluesea breaker panel. Used the second, with its own breaker panel, during winter months, so we could keep electrical inputs isolated.
- Winches: 2 Merriman Holbrook 25, 1 MH 20, 1 MH 16, 1 MH 20 on mast, 1 MH 10 on mast, 1 Barlow 16 on mast
- 2 CQR anchors, 1 on 300' chain, the other on a combo 150' chain plus 200' line. They have their own Lewmar electric windlasses, but the one windlass needs some tlc
- Rock solid 1.5" SS tiller. If you would rather have a wheel, the Edson binnacle/ pedestal is still in place for conversion.
- New sheaves in masthead
- 2010 Mainsail in good condition; Selden Furlex headsail furler with 150% genoa; older backup genoa, 1989 stormsail good condition.
- Replaced old wire lifelines with dyneema core and poly exterior sheath. That way when the cheap(er) yachtbraid wears from UV degradation, just slip them off and replace with more cheap yachtbraid, leaving the dyneema in good shape.
- Bronze 3 blade propellor on 1.25" SS shaft
- Stuffing box & packing serviced and in good shape
- Replaced old water lines with Whale water system and manual foot pumps
- 50 gal poly water tank
- Rainfresh 3 level water filtration in head
- Rule 3900 electric emergency bilge pump (bought the biggest we could find for emergency use), smaller electric Rule pump, think it's 1500, for regular use
- New Moeller 27 gal poly diesel tank, installed as low and centred as possible. Installed at same time as lazarette reno.
- Lazarette has floor, with strapping to hold gear off the hull, all epoxy resin coated for strength and preservation. Built a small workstation, complete with workbench on port side in lazarette which a smaller person (say, less than 5'7") can sit at to work away on projects. Also contains the epoxy housing for the Webasto Airtop 3500ST diesel heater. Keeps cabin toasty warm. Note: the Webasto is due for a tune-up.
- AM/FM/CD Stereo in cabin
- Origo 4200 two burner alcohol stove
- basic Jabsco toilet, never used, with 6gal holding tank.
- Big icebox, with 4" thick epoxy resin fiberglass finished insulation insert. Not like those almost useless little badly insulated jobbies usually found on boats. This one's set up for living with. Two blocks of ice (reg size from shops) maintain an internal temp of 6 - 8 degrees for 5 days at a time. Still have the Isotherm holding plate and system if you want to switch back to an electrical system.
- Galley reno includes a sink / countertop combo. No more teacup-sized sinks. Use the whole 40" space as a sink -and/or- as a countertop. Easy to clean corian surface, drip-dry dishracks are still secure while underway. Set up for mason jar storage of foodstuffs, for fresher, cleaner, water/airproof easy and fully accessible storage. No more rummaging around precariously loaded cupboards.

Lived on board for 8 years, winter and summer. Only reason we're selling is due to a spinal injury which precludes doing much sailing anymore. Such is life. Got to take our chances when we can.

This boat is solid. It's registered out of St.John's Nfld, and has made the trek to the Caribbean and back no problem. Morgan O/Is were made for the Caribbean charter trade. Stable, easy to sail, roomy below, and with the shoal draft, it's easy to scoot over areas which would block deeper boats. Saves a world of headaches.

Want to be clear and aboveboard, so to speak, about the boat. So the negatives: V-berth hatch needs replacing. Hatch above galley has a tiny leak, needs rebedding probably. Webasto heater, (if you're planning on using during cold winters) needs a tune-up. Should change the engine oil and bleed the system, which is standard maintenance stuff. And the portlights on the port side need to be replaced. We have the portlights (nice SS) but my injury occurred and didn't get a chance to finish replacing them or fixing the hatches. Also, the Jabsco toilet installation needs to be finished, i.e. hook the water intake hose to the existing thruhull.

We're around the Toronto, Canada area, so if you're in the vicinity you can drop by for a gander. Thanks for looking, and good luck with your adventures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In-water.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	254280   Click image for larger version

Name:	keel.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	254281  

Name:	In-cockpit-looking-forward.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	254282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	254283  

Name:	Port-side-main-cabin.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	254284   Click image for larger version

Name:	SB-Main-cabin2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	254285  

Name:	Galley3.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	254286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker-panel.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	254287  

Name:	Head2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	254288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vberth1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	254289  

Name:	In-cockpit-looking-aft.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	254290   Click image for larger version

Name:	In-cockpit-looking-down-aft.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	254291  

AD 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 15:42   #2

Boat: C&C 33 Mk1
Re: Morgan O/I 33' Sailboat

Did you sell this yet? If yes, may I ask what it went for? I am looking at one in Washington State which is not as nice as this, but would be good to know the market.

Thank you for any help!

Cheers.

Mike (Traveler7)
Traveler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:35   #3

No, haven't yet. We originally listed it with a broker. Took us a year to figure out he was a bad choice. We had a potential buyer later who told us he really didn't like the broker, and would never consider dealing with him. Who knows how many people we lost like that. I know there was a lot of interest. Then covid hit. Now we're just trying to sell the boat ourselves. We gave up on brokers. They've been hopeless.

So I can't advise on price based on our experience. Sorry. Good luck with the one in Washington!
Old 14-03-2023, 17:21   #4

Boat: C&C 33 Mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD 2 View Post
No, haven't yet. We originally listed it with a broker. Took us a year to figure out he was a bad choice. We had a potential buyer later who told us he really didn't like the broker, and would never consider dealing with him. Who knows how many people we lost like that. I know there was a lot of interest. Then covid hit. Now we're just trying to sell the boat ourselves. We gave up on brokers. They've been hopeless.

So I can't advise on price based on our experience. Sorry. Good luck with the one in Washington!
Funny what you said about the broker...the broker for the boat I was considering was very inflexible and condescending which put me off that boat! Wish I could tell the owner...
Now I'm looking at a nice 1975 Ericson 32-2 as a training boat...kind of like a Cessna 172 of the sea!

Fair winds!
Traveler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 19:54   #5

Is she still for sale ?
TampaBayCat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 15:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBayCat31 View Post
Is she still for sale ?
Yup. But located just outside of Toronto.
Old 22-05-2023, 15:52   #7

Please text / call me as I am very interested. 706-818-5045

Gerald
TampaBayCat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 13:35   #8

Hello everyone
Due to our new strict budget, we're trying to clear out extraneous expenses, which means we've dropped the price on this lovely Morgan O/I. She can now be yours for a mere $24,000 Cdn.
Give us a quick reply if you're interested.
Old 08-07-2023, 14:10   #9

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Interested. Will know my situation better by Tuesday. Will: nune 7 ate six zer nune 13three one
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, morgan, sail, sailboat