Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2023, 07:11   #1

Help with packing size Morgan 34

Looking at a Morgan 34 of 1969 vintage. Needs lots of clean up but good bones. I noticed the prob shaft stuffing box dripping 1 drop per second. The boat is located over 1 hour away and I didn't measure the shaft. It maybe possible for myself to back out the nuts and put in some new packing. But also noticed right at the edge of the nut on the shaft some corrosion. The engine has been replaced with a Kubota I would imagine they used the original shaft? The boats at dockside with power but must be moved soon. My plan was keeping it on anchor in the river. But obviously the frequent use of the bilge pump would kill the batteries within a few days. I'm shopping boat yards in the area of Pasco county Florida and having trouble. I was able to speak with One yard and they are taking appointments for over one month from now. Main worry is the shaft maybe compromised and will fail. I could use some emory cloth on it, maybe smooth it out to get new flax to seal. But if it breaks it's going to sink. Have a small budget to work with, would like to find a DYI boat yard in the area. I think the closest maybe in St. Petersburg Fl. Hard to get estimates on the shaft since they don't seem to have a data base on old boats. I'm all ears Thanks
Coreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, size