Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2023, 19:48   #1
Abo

Morgan Out Island and Fitting an Outboard Temporarily

Hi Family of Cruisers,
I recently purchase a Morgan 41 and need to temporarily fit an outboard motor to move the boat till the motor is fully functional again, I am having it overhauled but I need to move it now before this task is completed. I am not able to measure the boat at the moment but am wanting to get a bracket/support made up to support the outboard motor so it is ready for me when I get there. Any advice and help would be very much appreciated.

If anyone can please tell me the width of the stern of the boat 12inches above the water line, and how far the rudder protrudes behind a point 12inches above the water line I would be most grateful, and would you mount the outboard in the center of the stern or to one side to avoid interference from the rudder.

I am planning on using 3/8 thick aluminum in a u-shape, the vertical sections being about 10 inches high, and the horizontal about 12 inches wide. I will get gussets welded between these so that the plates retain their shape and strength. Should I extend a section below the U shape that rests against the transom for added strength or is this a waste and too much overkill? I would like the section that touches, and is bolted through the hull to be almost as wide as the transom of the yacht, or is this too much overkill also? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help in solving my problem.
Kind Regards,
Abo
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, morgan out island, outboard