Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2023, 15:37   #1

Boat: 1978 Endeavour 32
Catalina 22

I am thinking of buying a Catalina 22. Any thoughts or experience would appreciated
leadbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:01   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Catalina 22

My 1st thought is - are you going to keep her in the water or trailer her ?

Because raising and lowering the mast is not so easy on a boat that size. If doing it manually you'll need a system of some sort and some help.

Other than that they are great boats. You can still get pretty much any part you need. Lots of info on them on internet, many clubs and dedicated sites and forums. Just search around.

Old 03-11-2023, 13:38   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

They have sold over 10,000 of them worldwide. This suggests that it is a pretty good design compromise.

I bought hull #61 direct from Frank Butler at t he factory and sailed her for 7 years. Enjoyed it, too.

Jim
Old 03-11-2023, 14:27   #4

Boat: Grampian 30

Respectfully, lowering the mast on a C22 is not complicated or difficult. At 25' and less than 100lbs a single person with a bit of preparation can easily raise, lower and stow it for transport safely using basic rigging techniques. With two or more it would be quite easy and well worth the effort even for a day sail. Don't let that dissuade you from considering a trailered option, should that appeal to you.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 15:02   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The OP is from a hurricane prone area. How would one deal with a trailer boat on a trailer?

1. Point it towards the stronger wind direction.

2. Anchor trailer to earth. Strap boat very carefully to trailer, or to ground anchors of some kind.

3. Secure mast to ground anchors.

4. Remove all canvas and the dinghy and store in storm cellar.

5. Pray a lot.

Ann
Old 03-11-2023, 21:42   #6

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Or attach said trailer to a truck and drive away?
Old 04-11-2023, 03:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

1977 Catalina 22 Owners Manual https://glenmoresailboats.com/wp/wp-..._22_manual.pdf

1987 Version ➥ https://sailingfortuitous.com/wp-con...ers_Manual.pdf

Catalina 22 National Sailing Association, and premier source of Catalina 22 information ➥ https://www.catalina22.org/

Catalina 22 Technical Manual ➥ https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/technical-manual

Catalina Direct [C22] ➥ https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-...t/catalina-22/

A Catalina 22 Review ➥ https://whichsailboat.com/2015/08/22...ina-22-review/

Catalina 22 Owners Groups:
https://catalina.sailboatowners.com/...rs.php?mid=107
https://www.facebook.com/groups/catalina22/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:11   #8

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekton73 View Post
Respectfully, lowering the mast on a C22 is not complicated or difficult. At 25' and less than 100lbs a single person with a bit of preparation can easily raise, lower and stow it for transport safely using basic rigging techniques. With two or more it would be quite easy and well worth the effort even for a day sail. Don't let that dissuade you from considering a trailered option, should that appeal to you.
Yeah, definitely didn't want to suggest it's not do-able. But it requires the proper set-up for sure.

I started my sailing with a Skipper's Mate 17. That rig was so easy, just the forestay and two shrouds led slightly aft of the mast to either side. I could pull the pin at the bow, hang on to the forestay while I walked back to mast and then lower it by hand.

A C22 will require a little more effort, and a bit of rigging to get her up and down. I only mention it as a consideration. It adds extra time to the equation of getting ready to go sailing too. Rigging and launching a trailer sailer can take anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours.

Just things to think about...

Old 04-11-2023, 12:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The OP is from a hurricane prone area. How would one deal with a trailer boat on a trailer?

1. Point it towards the stronger wind direction.

2. Anchor trailer to earth. Strap boat very carefully to trailer, or to ground anchors of some kind.

3. Secure mast to ground anchors.

4. Remove all canvas and the dinghy and store in storm cellar.

5. Pray a lot.

Ann
All of the above work (except the storm cellar - we don't have them).

Other than the normal prep and strapping that are needed for a boat going down the road, my go-to process for keeping a boat on a trailer during a hurricane is to "sink" the boat on the trailer. I put enough water in the bilge to weigh the boat down but not enough to damage the boat or the trailer. I've gone through many hurricanes this way.

Just a few months ago I rode out Idalia (direct hit) doing this with three kayaks (on the ground) and one 26 footer on a trailer. No problems at all but since it was predicted to be a category 4 I did add some extra straps to the trailer.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:21   #10

I had a 1981 swing keel, trailer, #10496. Great boat, 1983-1987. Trailered to Clear Lake, CA, left in water in marina for summers, learned how to sail and anchor on that boat. Winter trailer sailed on SF Bay. Added downhaul to jib and ran halyards aft. Pat Royce's Sailing Illustrated was the only book we had, but it was great 'cuz it had about 10 pages on the C22, well before the internet. We were probably crossing tacks with JPA Cate! If not literally, then figuratively.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 13:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
I am thinking of buying a Catalina 22. Any thoughts or experience would appreciated
If you're looking at this to downsize to from your Endeavour 32, you will save tons of money and you will probably sail more.

I haven't heard anything really bad about them. And there sure are a lot of them around.
Old 04-11-2023, 13:32   #12

Boat: Catalina 42

That was boat was the introduction to cruising for a lot of folks, including me. The only thing I would say is check out the swing keel carefully. The good news is you’ve got the factory and Catalina Direct who can get you just about any part you need for it. They are a ton of fun.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 13:46   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I had a 1981 swing keel, trailer, #10496. Great boat, 1983-1987. Trailered to Clear Lake, CA, left in water in marina for summers, learned how to sail and anchor on that boat. Winter trailer sailed on SF Bay. Added downhaul to jib and ran halyards aft. Pat Royce's Sailing Illustrated was the only book we had, but it was great 'cuz it had about 10 pages on the C22, well before the internet. We were probably crossing tacks with JPA Cate! If not literally, then figuratively.
Nope, I know it can be confusing between Jim and JPA Cate, but it is 2nd marriage for both of us, and his Catalina years were with his first wife and their kids. He and I met on a dock mate's boat back in 1979 or so, long after his divorce and mine.

Jim Cate is my Jim, now. And, JPA Cate is Ann.

Ann
Old 04-11-2023, 15:14   #14

Oh, well, at least our boats' wake crossed!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 17:24   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Oh, well, at least our boats' wake crossed!
Most likely, Stu! I was a very enthusiastic beginner and sailed very nearly every weekend. Raced with SYRA and did two midwinter series most years, and the Cat 22 Nationals one year, plus simple day sailing the rest of the time. And plus trailer trips to the channel islands and eventually the Canadian Gulf islands via Port Angeles.

Had a lot of fun (and learning) on that boat! Incidentally she was named "Kookaburra", a foreshadowing of our later cruising adventures.

Jim

Tags
catalina