Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2024, 14:45   #46

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Actual Ah demand for AirCon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
Perhaps it was just a typo, but Andre-Marie Ampere's name does indeed start with an A.

https://www.nist.gov/si-redefinition/ampere-history
It's funny how the mind reads what it expects to read. I read and re-read Jedi's post several times earlier, and then re-read it with purpose after you wrote this, and the typo would not compute. I just couldn't see that "E." I was expecting an "A" and that's all I ever saw.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 15:18   #47

It might be that Baronkrak was trying to make the same point in the "Hollywood" Post (#43) and you suffered from the same, can't see the forest for the trees condition there as well, as evidenced by your "in an odd fashion agreeing with us," Post (#44).

No harm done as I'm sure we all suffer this condition. I know for sure that on occasion, I do.
Putt-Putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 15:27   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
Perhaps it was just a typo, but Andre-Marie Ampere's name does indeed start with an A.

https://www.nist.gov/si-redefinition/ampere-history
Yeah, I couldn’t edit it anymore…

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:05   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Chris from Balmar here. We are owned by Dometic, so I have run some numbers on our new Voyager variable speed AC units. The great thing about variable speed units is that when you slow a compressor down, the watts used drop at a greater percentage than the drop. For example, the running watts of a TX10 10k BTU unit, is 723 watts at 100%, but only 276 at 50% compressor speed.

So if you are running one at 100% compressor speed for 6 hours at 50% on time, the total battery power used would be 2385.9
wh, assuming a 90% efficient inverter. for a 12v system, that would be ~186ah, exclusive of a water pump.

Run the same system 100% of the time at 50% speed, and you consume 1821wh, 142ah.

Both examples give the same total BTUs of cooling over time, but you save about 23% in energy running at 50% compressor speed 100% of the time.

Chris
Chris. Have you come across any published reviews on the Dometic Voyagers? Would appreciate a bit of commentary, good and bad. I’ve asked elsewhere on this forum and so far can not find anyone willing to comment about them. I had Frigomar on my old boat and was quite happy. But am hoping the newer Voyager could be a further improvement on my new boat.
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote