Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 17:27   #16

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Question for those with topping lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My favorite was just cable/line from mast top to maybe 2-3 feet above the boom terminating to a small block. Then a 2 part line from boom end through that block to a cheek block and forward to a cleat on the boom.
I never had a problem with chafe and could usually find a slack tension that seldom required the topping lift to be adjusted at all. But I could see after several years it might chafe a bit, more than dangling reefing lines? maybe not. It's often slack and just flying in the lee air away from the sail..
This is exactly the setup that I have, except that I replaced the plastic covered wire with Spectra a few years ago. Like you, I have never had issues with chafe as I usually keep it pretty slack. I do want to bring it back to the cockpit if possible, hence the above request.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:22   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandlori View Post
I have seen some that use a cheek block on the side of the mast and some that either run through the masthead sheaves (not an option for me) or a block mounted under the backstay. In my case the cheek block approach would be easier, but how annoying is it to have it off to one side? I could probably get a block set up below the backstay, is it worth the extra hassle to have it centered?
Is there a particular reason why a masthead block cannot be fitted, as in the way I described in a previous post?
In older times double topping lifts were frequently fitted that used cheek blocks some distance below the masthead, (a block on each side of the mast).
The double topping lifts then morphed into becoming a convenient way to also rig them as lazy jacks.
Having a topping lift that uses a fixed end at the masthead is throwing away any additional usage for it as well as making replacement of it requiring a trip aloft, a second-rate system at best.
Just a thought.
Old Yesterday, 20:47   #18

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Not knowing your situation, consider making it strong enough that it can serve as a safety line (climbing) and a spare halyard. This may not make sense, but is one of the best reason to have it on a masthead sheave.
Our topping lift runs through a sheave at the top of the mast, parallel to the main halyard. The line and the shackle were spec'd and set up to be a backup halyard in case the primary failed.

Our mechanical boom vang (Bamar) specifically instructs to not use it to support the boom when the sail is not up. So we don't - we use the topping lift.
Old Today, 07:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
This is exactly the setup that I have, except that I replaced the plastic covered wire with Spectra a few years ago. Like you, I have never had issues with chafe as I usually keep it pretty slack. I do want to bring it back to the cockpit if possible, hence the above request.
Something lightweight, slick and UV resistant like Spectra would be a great idea.
I found I adjusted it so seldom that maybe running it aft to the cockpit wasn't worth it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift