Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 07:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Will Diesel odor be a problem?

I had twin stainless diesel tanks under my aft bunk, that were interconnected, so that I could choose which tank I wanted to use and also which tank received the returned fuel. This was especially handy on a long haul on one tack.

Never once smelt any diesel ever.

An accurate fuel gauge is a must to determine how much fuel you have remaining.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:17   #17
Marine Service Provider

10 years is the average maximum working life of any hose because rubber and plastics dry out over time, becoming hard, brittle and prone to cracking, splitting and leaking...so old hoses will be the most likely source of odor. So you'll need to replace them, making sure the new ones are rated for diesel. Additionally you'll want to make sure that the fittings in the new tank can't leak.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 09 View Post
I am considering converting the space where my two 50 gallon water tanks are in the living area to fuel tanks. Currently I have two 50 gallon water tanks, one under each settee.

I want to buy two brand new aluminum tanks, same exact size and shape and just drop them in place and convert them to diesel. My only concern is if there is going to be a problem with diesel odor if i do this and how bad it might be.

My current tank is under the quarter berth and I can definitely smell the diesel slightly when I sleep in that bunk. Since I am live aboard, smelling that 24/7 in the main cabin if I do this conversion might be an issue.

My question is, if I replace everything with new and keep everything very tidy, replace hoses occasionally, prevent leaks etc...etc...do you think the diesel will still permeate the hoses and fittings and the smell become noticeable? Am I being unrealistic to expect to be able to contain the odor?

Im sure part of the problem with my current tank and location is the fact thats its old and fittings or hoses have not been checked in a couple decades or more. Possibly the hoses are permeated or leaking or there have been spills in the past.

I would love to hear any recommendations or suggestions on how it might be possible to maintain the odor if you guys think its doable. My initial thought was to build sealed boxes around the tanks with sealed access hatches to try and help, but this does not take into account the hoses that will run outside these containers.
Well, many or most boats are that way so it should be fine if everything is new and tight. You might check out your 1/4 berth tank and see if anything is dripping or has been. BTW, aluminum corrodes readily below the floor boards, often where it rests on supports which stay wet/damp. So try to determine how to minimize contact area .

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, odor