Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2024, 09:32   #1

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Great recommendations

So as I was scraping multiple layers of paint off the deck, I just wanted to thank whoever it was, a couple years back, who recommended this Bahco scraper in a thread. There is a light at the end of the tunnel now thanks to this scraper. I am sure there are other great items I have found out about here, I just can't think of them now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scraper.png
Views:	96
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	291802  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 10:22   #2

Boat: sailboat
Re: Great recommendations

A *great* big THANK YOU for sharing this !! My neighbor and I have been having a Slow Race for who is going to repaint their Good Old Boat second, so the second one of us can see how the first one removed the old paint. I despise sanding, and thanks to your sharing, I might lose this Slow Race and get my Good Old Boat repainted first.

Speaking of Good Old Boat, that's a *great* rag, 'suppose I should check there too.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 13:36   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jim used a 2" scraper to remove 16 yrs. of hard bottom paint from our 36' "Insatiable", at Whangaparoa in NZ, almost singlehandedly. Lots of work. And hundreds of pounds lighter after the work!

We've never scraped paint off the deck, just added non-skid paint, and time plus usage seems to be wearing it off.

Happy finishing of the job, Don.

Ann
Old 07-07-2024, 17:06   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yep, good recommendation Don. The Bahco range of scrapers are head and shoulders above any other scraper that I have used.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 18:13   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So as I was scraping multiple layers of paint off the deck, I just wanted to thank whoever it was, a couple years back, who recommended this Bahco scraper in a thread. There is a light at the end of the tunnel now thanks to this scraper. I am sure there are other great items I have found out about here, I just can't think of them now.
There’s lots of fans, I have been recommending the Bahco scrapers for many years. The trick is the carbide blade. Buy some spare blades and you’ll probably never need them

Also work great to touch up the hull before painting new anti fouling.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 20:57   #6

Boat: Switch 51

If you buy some spare blades you'll probably never find them.
AndyOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 00:09   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I think it was Sailorchic who suggested chemical sprayer for a fresh water shower. That was a really good one for my little boat.
And someone recommended high temperature silicone pads for use around stove. Those have been handy.
And Cabo Sailor brought up collapsible silicone bowls and collanders and stuff. Those have been a good addition. The collapsible drying rack and the folding camp sink makes doing dishes out in the cockpit a breeze.
And someone on here recommended the Omnia oven years ago and THAT has been a great addition that I can't live without now.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 00:37   #8

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

A speaker magnet on a string to fetch ferrous items out of the bilge.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 04:03   #9

A strip of foam rubber jammed between (say) a tank and the hull to stop items falling into the bilge.

Plastic mirror from a jobber's recycle bin can be used to ensure the bottom of the keel is completely painted (or anti-fouled) The bottom of a shelf or other out of sight area.

A right-angle drill chuck $A2.68 (for RH chuck)

Old 11-07-2024, 02:25   #10

Aren't there any more good ideas?

One very handy tool I found while building Helen was the multi too and a Die Grinder

Old 12-07-2024, 10:23   #11

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
A strip of foam rubber jammed between (say) a tank and the hull to stop items falling into the bilge.

Plastic mirror from a jobber's recycle bin can be used to ensure the bottom of the keel is completely painted (or anti-fouled) The bottom of a shelf or other out of sight area.

A right-angle drill chuck $A2.68 (for RH chuck)

I have a Skewdriver I bought over 30 years ago that is invaluable.

I'll add a portable propane soldering iron. This one is from Weller, mine is exactly the same kit from Snap-On.

Recently, I found that the flat blade in the kit is perfect for cutting Acrylic Sunbrella and Nylon Ripstop materials for sewing projects. I get the end red hot and use a piece of phenolic as a base and zip right through the material sealing the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soldering.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	291992  
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 12:42   #12

Boat: Compass 28

Chuck out the barrier cream and hand cleaner. Just use SPF 30 or 50 for both functions. Works really well and that's two less objects to buy/store/lose/search for/find. And I guess you won't get melanomas on your hands.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

One of the most difficult items I ever had to track down were oil seals for my windlass. It took days of looking in stores in Phuket and thank goodness I was in Phuket. If it had been nearly anywhere else in SE Asia I would still be looking.

Oil seals are so cheap and small to store that everyone should be traveling with a set if going overseas.

Now the trick is to make sure you know where they are located when you finally need them.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:32   #14

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
I have a Skewdriver I bought over 30 years ago that is invaluable.

I'll add a portable propane soldering iron. This one is from Weller, mine is exactly the same kit from Snap-On.

Recently, I found that the flat blade in the kit is perfect for cutting Acrylic Sunbrella and Nylon Ripstop materials for sewing projects. I get the end red hot and use a piece of phenolic as a base and zip right through the material sealing the edges.
Thanks to all for such useful ideas; just ordered the propane iron.

Tags
men