Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2024, 13:03   #16

Re: Electric Power a sobering story

Part of the cover looks fine. The stainless hardware looks fine. Even the cover with their sticker on it looks ok. The rest looks like it went underwater. Everything else in that area looks normal too. If it was manufactured properly it would all look about the same. I put most of this on the manufacturer.
jhall767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 13:38   #17

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
For a boat like that, a proper British Yachtsman would have had a British Seagull, and probably gotten better service.
Sculling Oar and probably gotten in better shape
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 14:13   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
For what? a little daysailer?
For a boat like that, a proper British Yachtsman would have had a British Seagull, and probably gotten better service.

There's a guy on the Chesapeake who posts in another forum who has had a 3kw ePropulsion pod drive on his H-boat for several years. He is happy with it but has few good things to say about ePropulsion customer service. His installed cost came to about $6k including a modest battery plant.
Old 09-07-2024, 15:02   #19

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
What I don't understand (and Oceanvolt did not respond to in the article) is how they could certify the installation for a fee and then say it was improperly installed after problems and void the warranty. If true, I'd not do business with Oceanvolt.
On that I agree. If Oceanvolt simply sold him the parts and he installed them poorly ok that is on the owner/installer but he paid for certification which is obviously not worth the paper it is written on.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 15:07   #20

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'm a bit suspicious of what has happened to this motor, but in general how should electric propulsion systems be expected to deal with the typical marine environment found on small boats? I've never had serious problems with corrosion on my alternators, but they are attached to a big hot engine that periodically dries everything out. Is a salt air environment death for these electric motors?
Old 09-07-2024, 15:53   #21

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorMade View Post

This has very little to do with the type of energy that powers the boat, but everything to do with poor choices.
This rings true to me. Author:

Quote:
“ but the solar panels were indefinitely delayed because of Brexit, Covid and general global supply chain issues.

I reluctantly gave up on the idea of the solar panels and decided to buy a charger instead.

A proper Victron lithium battery charger costs around £1,000 and requires expensive cabling, and its own housing box on the boat’s trailer, all of which pushed project costs up even further.”
All solar panels, in all of the UK, were indefinitely delayed? Sounds more like the ones he picked were out of stock so he gave up on the whole idea and moved on to the next shiny thing, which happened to be an overpriced charger setup.

It’s possible I’m wrong and there were functionally no options, I don’t live there.

On the other hand, Oceanvolt’s response is also surprisingly bad:

Quote:
“ Moreover, we must highlight an issue concerning the sump bilge pump’s location beneath the motor.

This setup, inherited from the diesel engine configuration, raises environmental concerns.

Potential exposure of oil or harmful liquids in the bilge could lead to direct discharge into the sea.”
What are they even talking about? How is this relevant in any way?
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 16:44   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Seems like it was a poor choice for that application.

It looks like an open cockpit where any water that comes into the boat from rain/sea flows directly into the bilge. And then the bilge was allowed to fill up with water - evident by the lower stainless mounting bolt with the rubber insulator being rusted. Not surprising that it corroded and failed.
Old 09-07-2024, 17:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I'm a bit suspicious of what has happened to this motor, but in general how should electric propulsion systems be expected to deal with the typical marine environment found on small boats? I've never had serious problems with corrosion on my alternators, but they are attached to a big hot engine that periodically dries everything out. Is a salt air environment death for these electric motors?
My friend has had an electric motor (Electric Yacht?)for about three years now on her sailboat in a wet bilge/damp environment, leaky packing gland. It looks as good as the day it was installed.
User 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 05:36   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Considering other electrical stuff lasts adequately on the boat, I'd think it's possible to make an electric propulsion setup last just fine with a bit of care. Make sure nothing can drip onto the installation, ventilation doesn't allow salt water to be splashed onto anything or excessive salt mist into the compartment. Shield it from any stuffing box drips or spray, etc.

Basically the same stuff that keeps an engine and its wiring happy and avoids it turning into a rusty lump with flaky electrical.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:48   #25

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Catamaran Top Secret went for all electric, 4 x Oceanvolt
Then after a lightning strike back to 2 diesel, 2 oceanvolt
Now is just 2 diesels

One Oceanvolt went to Uma

Biggest problems were lightning, 48v generators, 12v balancing battery at high rates as they don’t allow other batteries.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:34   #26

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Catamaran Top Secret went for all electric, 4 x Oceanvolt
Then after a lightning strike back to 2 diesel, 2 oceanvolt
Now is just 2 diesels

One Oceanvolt went to Uma

Biggest problems were lightning, 48v generators, 12v balancing battery at high rates as they don’t allow other batteries.
Idealism and purposly false prediction hits Reality now, same with EVs....
A hybrid setup more simplified produced in masses for a reasonable price ok...full electric on bluewater nope.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:36   #27

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

This seems like one of those cases where it can work really well if it's done well enough, but if it's not done well enough it's just a big mess.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:42   #28

Boat: Conyplex Contest 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldL View Post
To me it looks like severe galvanic corrosion of bad quality cast aluminum.
All stainless parts still shine as new.
I thought the same thing. Everything else is in good shape except the motor itself. That points to a problem with the motor itself and not the installation in my opinion. Even the terminal on the wiring are in good condition. My guess is cheap recycled aluminum with tons of contaminants was used for the housing.
ctconyplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:03   #29

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

I've had twin electric drives on my cat since 2004. I've not seen anything like that corrosion on my boat. I think people have it right, that motor has seen a lot of water. Don't give electric power systems a bad name just because of one bad boat.
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48   #30

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
I've had twin electric drives on my cat since 2004. I've not seen anything like that corrosion on my boat. I think people have it right, that motor has seen a lot of water. Don't give electric power systems a bad name just because of one bad boat.
Well I know dozen bad ones also electric factory oem systems that suck, actually nearly all of them since recently for bluewater.
False promises about regen, ranges, operations...
And that for the quadruple a reliable diesel system would cost.

A hybrid system also working with saildrives standardized and build in big quantities that you can also retrofit is the way to go together with a bigger dual use house/propulsion battery.
The electric drive part is meant to motor in/out of marinas or anchor spots but not for distance or for easy propulsion when diesel runs in generator mode.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, power