Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2020, 10:00   #16

Re: Would you choose an Endeavorcat 34 or Gemini 105mc to cross the Atlantic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I for one don’t think the Gemini or Endeavorcat are a good choice for crossing an ocean, but was trying to be helpful mentioning some other cats in his price range that are maybe more appropriate for his needs.
smj, would you say why? and why the Prout is better? It's helpful to hear names of boats, but I'm trying to learn and understand. Please expound, if you are willing. I need to know why, thanks.
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 10:02   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
He didn't ask about those others........... Endeavorcat or Gemini

How hard is it to stay on topic..........?
I actually meant to include Prout and revised my post but too late to get in under the 30 minutes editing deadline. I'm certainly interested in hearing about other comparable older, cheaper cats.

Thanks.
Old 13-10-2020, 10:09   #18

Ctp Mark, yeah! I have been keenly noticing that in videos of older and smaller cats. They don't have space to walk around the cabin on deck. How are you supposed to get forward on the deck in a storm safely? Sometimes it seems designers are trying to meet certain marketing goals and throwing common sense out the window. You example about engine placement is another example.

OK, Island Packet, I'll check into that and the other brands mentioned. Would you sail it trans-ocean?

Thanks
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Can't find much info on the endeavor cat. I looked at the Gems and discounted them as IMHO they are coastal cruisers. Lightweight build, difficult to move around on the deck. Try going from the cockpit to the bow and notice how you have to thread your way past the rigging. This among other things was pointed out to me by a gem owner. Somone mentioned the Solaris. Ugh. The fatal flaw for me was the locations of the engines. All the way aft, under the bunks with a shelf above and the engine sandwiched into a custom compartment. I couldn't even imagine checking the oil at sea let alone working on it after removing the mattress, bedding etc just to get to it.

You only mentioned 2 types of boats. There are others including Island Packet's Packet Cat 35 which is what I chose. Better design by far. I looked at Prouts, Catalycs etc.

Good luck.
Old 13-10-2020, 10:09   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
smj, would you say why? and why the Prout is better? It's helpful to hear names of boats, but I'm trying to learn and understand. Please expound, if you are willing. I need to know why, thanks.

We have owned 2 Gemini’s, a 3200 and a 105. They are great boats for their intended use, coastal shallow water cruising. They are lightly built and have a skinny beam which makes them susceptible to capsize by both wind and waves. They also have a very low bridgedeck.
I’ve never owned or sailed a Endeavorcat, but they also have a skinny beam and seems to have a high center of gravity.
The Prouts have a reputation for being solidly built for the most part, a low center of gravity and a small sail plan.
I’m sure any of the above could cross an ocean but some are designed and built for just that.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 10:16   #20

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Out of the 12 posts on this thread you have 4, none of your posts address the thread.....of topic.
Well, I did post a video of Tony crossing the Atlantic in a Gemini. How much more on topic do you want???
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 10:19   #21
smj

Quote:
Well, I did post a video of Tony crossing the Atlantic in a Gemini. How much more on topic do you want???

Ok, one post[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 13-10-2020, 10:23   #22

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
Ctp Mark, yeah! I have been keenly noticing that in videos of older and smaller cats. They don't have space to walk around the cabin on deck. How are you supposed to get forward on the deck in a storm safely? Sometimes it seems designers are trying to meet certain marketing goals and throwing common sense out the window. You example about engine placement is another example.

OK, Island Packet, I'll check into that and the other brands mentioned. Would you sail it trans-ocean?

Thanks
Jim
I bought my Packet Cat to circumnavigate as did one of my best friends. Features I liked. Wide decks, easy to move around on. Standing headroom everywhere inside the boat (I'm 6'1) Solidly built, been in storm 35-45 knots 10', 7, 6' seas from 3 different angles all hitting randomly, no problem. Not fun but no worries. Near standing headroom in the engine compartments. Yes, you read that right. Lots of room making it easier to work on everything. IPY built in an innovative Delta Pod". Because this is a solid bridgedeck they slam into the waves. The Delta Pod is a 3rd hull in the bow section going back maybe 10' that barely rides in the water but splits the wave making the ride more like a mono hull, more comfortable with the added benefit of not that entire are becomes storage and floatation. You can fill it as much as you'd like and it really doesn't change the balance. I have a scuba compressor in there.

These cats you are looking at are older and not performance cat by todays standards. They are cruisers. Cats are weight sensitive so to get rid of weight I'm doing a few things. 1. Dyneema standing rigging. 2. LiFePo batteries 3. Next bottom job stripping it down to the gel coat completely.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 10:28   #23

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
No. I posted about the Gems which I have knowledge. It also appeared to many of us that the OP was looking for a cat within a size/price range and if you are not familiar with this sub market you would have no way of knowing there are many options so people were trying to be helpful and in fact that is the information they are looking for.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 10:30   #24
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
No. I posted about the Gems which I have knowledge. It also appeared to many of us that the OP was looking for a cat within a size/price range and if you are not familiar with this sub market you would have no way of knowing there are many options so people were trying to be helpful and in fact that is the information they are looking for.

Please reread my post and notice I wasn’t quoting you
Old 13-10-2020, 10:48   #25

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Seems like there's a little catfight going on here. I like hearing other options. If your doctor said "you have appendicitis and it needs to be removed, what do you want, aspirin or tylenol?" you might enjoy hearing other options.
Knowing S*^# about cats but always interested, I am glad to hear some other options besides the two suggested by OP. It's all good and that's why I read CF!
Old 13-10-2020, 11:22   #26

Quote:
That’s funny, since it was my first post on the topic, and the rest of my posts are trying to explain to you why none of yours are........
Old 13-10-2020, 11:26   #27

Boat: Tartan 37

Sailed on my parents Gemini several times. The low bridge deck clearance on the Gemini would bang in light to moderate seas that shook the entire boat. It would probably not be very comfortable passage.

Be careful of hull cracks on the Gemini from improper haulout. They had a leak show up where the hull was blocked up using 8x8s vs the standard car tire.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 12:09   #28
smj

Quote:
That’s funny, since it was my first post on the topic, and the rest of my posts are trying to explain to you why none of yours are........

Are.........?
Old 13-10-2020, 12:27   #29

Quote:
Are.........?
Yeah, you know, are not on topic........
Old 13-10-2020, 13:51   #30

Well I looked at a endeavor and I looked at a Gemini

I decided on neither!

Ok so what did I decide on

A Catalac 34 or 10m

Built for the North Sea it is solidnglas hull built like a tank but slow

So do mind slow no I mind being sag the old girls is safe check their reputation out

Good luck trying to find one 600 Catalacs were buil very few for sale

I know of one other but he is crazy priced for what I needs
ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, gemini 105