Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2009, 15:28   #16

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
For coastal cruising, the Catalina is ideal. The IP and the Sabre are, in general, heavier, better built boats, and more suited to offshore work than the Catalina. And the reason why they will be more expensive, foot for foot, than the Catalina. Erikson built a pretty solid boat, as well - but they are not around anymore.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 15:44   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I'd take the IP myself. I like the cutter rig with the Hoyt boom, the full keel and the build quality. The Sabres are well built too, but the ones under 32 feet don't have enough headroom.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 16:54   #18

For coastal cruising I would go sit inthe each boat and think. Pick the one with the accomodation you like the best.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 18:57   #19

Boat: islandpacket
I have the Island Packet 31. I love my boat as everyone loves the one they have. Island Packet has very good support. Active crusers and easy to get info. If I had the money I would get the IP32 but the 31 offers room enough for me I am 6'3" and have no problem with the hight. But really follow the other advice. sit and see how it fits. Best of luck
Old 27-03-2009, 16:31   #20

yes IPs are awesome.
aseligman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 12:19   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
One of the nice things about Island Packets is that you can get excellent Factory support even if you happen to be the tenth owner of the boat. They really take care of their owners, new or used.

I remember emailing Tom Broome, the IP customer service manager, from my boat enroute from Virginia to the Virgin Islands. He dropped everything, did some research with the Yanmar installer, and quickly shipped a part to my wife, who brought it with her when she flew down to join me a few days later.
Old 28-03-2009, 12:44   #22

For that cruising area, the Island Packet is far too heavy, won't be fun to sail.... all the others are preferable.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 13:52   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
speedoo,

Maybe your experience with IPs is different from mine.

I used to live on the Cheasapeake Bay, and sailed extensively there on my IP 380. I would imagine the wind conditions would be somewhat similar to the OP's area, but I've never sailed north of the Delaware Bay. Our IP 380 sailed extremely well in Bay most wind conditions. We were usually the first boat into the anchorage on cruises with our yacht club, so she wasn't slow. I wasn't happy with off-the-wind sailing in light air, though, so I bought an asymmetric spinnaker. With that addition, it was hard to find any wind conditions that we didn't do well in.

I've chartered Sabres, and like them a lot, too.
Old 28-03-2009, 14:32   #24

Hud3, I actually have little IP experience, but I am pretty sure they are heavier than the other boats being considered, with a correspondingly lower SA/Disp ratio. I have a lot of experience sailing in the area the OP is talking about and I really believe the OP would experience a lot of light air, particularly in the NJ - NY area. IP's are fine boats, there is no doubt about that, but in this case I would recommend another boat.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 19:54   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
The other side of the equation speedo is that IP's do better when the swells come up. Patsi- I recommend that you sail in these boats first. If you get seasick easily, I would recommend the IP. But see which one turns you on. After all, owning a boat is alot more about love than it is about common sense. I have owned Catalinas and sailed lots of IP's (charter) I now own a Valiant (because that is the one I love- can't explain it any other way
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 21:02   #26

Boat: Tartan 40
I also agree with HUD's assessment as a fellow owner of a relatively heavy displacement sailboat. Yet I regularly pass or finish ahead of supposed "faster" and lighter production boats on the Chesapeake Bay, upwind and down.

Most people get hung up in the numbers, be it PHRF ratings or SA/D numbers. Yes, SA/D will indicate a faster boat on average in light conditions, and PHRF ratings indicate a faster around the buoys (lots of tacking) boat.

But in reality, these differences are overstated and often overcome by skill in steering a boat to her capabilities in real-world conditions. Obviously a dog is a dog, but IP's (and Luders) are not by any standards.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 15:32   #27

Boat: Catalina 34
Catalina 34

We are in contract on the Catalina 34. Awaiting a sea trial( due to weather and surveyor avail.). Land survey went well. Looking forward to a great sailing season!

Thank you all
Patsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 14:42   #28

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsi View Post
We are in contract on the Catalina 34. Awaiting a sea trial( due to weather and surveyor avail.). Land survey went well. Looking forward to a great sailing season!

Thank you all
Congrats!!!!

What year is she?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:10   #29

Boat: Catalina 34
1988 Catalina 34

Our Catalina 34 is a 1988. She is in nice shape and real good looking for her age. Sort of like me ;-)

Her name will be changed to Ocean Cowgirl, but not before honoring King Neptune. Anyone know of any virgins willing to pee over our bow?

Thanks again to everyone here for your input. Really helped us see value in our decision. We loved this boat the minute we boarded her, and for what we intend to use her for, we think she will be perfect.

Patsi
Patsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18   #30

With all duie respects to Patsi and others who post similar questions, there is no answer to be found from random people responding with their probably limited and anacdotal experiences.

Who can determine what would be comfortable for you or me or anyone else?

Who can determine what is important to have in a boat, a car, a home or a anything for that matter? These are very personal choices.

If you want to break these questions down to metrics then you can compare these, but even that with a sail boat would involve so many different categories it's almost impossible to sort this out.

But what is someone who doesn't have much experience to do when moving into such a big purchase such as a boat or a house or a car? I would say lots of research and looking at as many as you can to get a feel for what you want. The go to the experts who have years of experience and ask for the downside.

In the end you won't know if you made the right choice until you have made the choice and experienced the purchase and perhaps decide to move to something different. YIKES expensive and time consuming.

Speaking from my own experience of sailing for 23 years. I know very little about any other boat but my own since it's the only boat I have ever owned and know rather well. But after all that time I have managed to sail on a few others, deliver some off shore and observe many on the water which has informed my opinions somewhat. So I know a bit about sailing in general, but a lot about my boat in particular. But I can compare mine to a Cape Dory, because I know so little about them. So I don't comment on other boats, but I will offer comments about my boat or the equipment I am familiar with. I don't know if Yanmar is better or worse than Volvo. I know volvo has expensive replacement parts, but my engine has run for 23 years with little more than routine maintenace and a few pumps and valve replacesments and a two sets of injectors.

Read and try to get inside and sail on as many boats that appeal to you and find a trusted old salt who's really been around a lot of boats as a mentor to assist you.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, ericson, island packet, sabre