Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2024, 20:08   #31

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Prout vs Gemini vs PDQ vs Tomcat vs…

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanehole View Post
You [URL="https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/gemini-or-tomcat-37944-2.html#post535850"]https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/gemini-or-tomcat-37944-2.html#post535850[/URLhttps://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tml#post535850]have some big fun plans. Gd luck. You aren’t the first sailor I’ve met who regretted selling their Snowgoose35. I have an outboard. The only thing I’d wish for is for two outboards instead of the one. Too bad looking at cats in Australia isn’t an option.
I was heartbroken, but living in Philippines and having a boat in Florida was… daunting. I wish I’d done it now, but we had no idea when we could come back…

On the TomCat, (forgive as I shift back to my op) I just found this post in another thread from a TomCat owner who was very critical of the build quality of his brand new TomCat: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tml#post535850

Think I can cross them off the list.

Shame as it is very beautiful.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 16:36   #32

IF it were a year from now I might have a run at this Edelcat 35: https://dailyboats.com/boat/402059-b...arans-for-sale

Couple questions. How sturdy putting those engines on the back like that? Like the placement but fear loosing them to following waves in rough seas, etc…

Anyone tried using a US based bank (USAA in my case) to buy boat in foreign country? Seems like I’d have to pay import taxes of some sort also to register it in Florida.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:59   #33

Boat: CL14 #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Slamming. No fun. The Delta pod on the Island Packet Yacht, Packet Cat 35 is built like a 3rd hull. Barely in the water but the waves are always split so it reduces slamming a lot. In this regard it moves somewhere between a mono and a cat. When people look at mine from the front, it looks like a tri, from the back, a cat. I tell I have a two and half maran.
Just curious do you know of any Packet Cats that have circumnavigated? They seem more than capable.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 12:31   #34

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

They only made 41 of these boats. I and my best friend after looking at a lot of different cats in this general size range both immediately knew this was the boat for u to do our respective circumnavigations with.

I have had mine in 35 knot winds on the nose with more gusts, seas from 9-14 feet hitting from 3 sides . (Reflective waves). Slowed the boat way down, crawled around Cape Mendocino at 1-2 knots for 12 hours at night. Comfy? LOL but I never gave a thought to the boats capabilities.

I have zero doubt that thsee boats will do fine in the blue ocean. I leave in a few months to begin.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 13:24   #35

Quote:
They only made 41 of these boats. I and my best friend after looking at a lot of different cats in this general size range both immediately knew this was the boat for u to do our respective circumnavigations with.

I have had mine in 35 knot winds on the nose with more gusts, seas from 9-14 feet hitting from 3 sides . (Reflective waves). Slowed the boat way down, crawled around Cape Mendocino at 1-2 knots for 12 hours at night. Comfy? LOL but I never gave a thought to the boats capabilities.

I have zero doubt that thsee boats will do fine in the blue ocean. I leave in a few months to begin.
Ive always envied these boats, in his book, C. Kanter holds them in high regard, like all IPs of this vintage, the chainplates are imbedded and should be replaced?
Old 07-08-2024, 13:32   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
Ive always envied these boats, in his book, C. Kanter holds them in high regard, like all IPs of this vintage, the chainplates are imbedded and should be replaced?
Never read his books. If you have one can yo pm me a copy of what he says on these boats?

Chainplates are exposed on the cats. No big deal
Old 07-08-2024, 17:23   #37

Quote:
Never read his books. If you have one can yo pm me a copy of what he says on these boats?

Chainplates are exposed on the cats. No big deal
I tried to PM you the screenshots, however, it doesn't let me, so here they are…hopefully they’re not too small
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1260.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	292789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	292790  

Name:	IMG_1267.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	292802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1268.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	292803  

Name:	IMG_1269.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	292804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	292805  

Old 08-08-2024, 09:36   #38

Thank you. Screenshots were fine. In general I think his ratings were pretty good with exception to docking etc. This boat handles better than a larger twin screw power boat. It is excellent. I can walk it on/off the dock (make the boat go sideways not forward backward) back up, spin around n it's own axis.

Tacking. Not as good as what he described. Backwinding the jib sometimes, even adding a little motor sometimes. I used to Captain a 55' cat and to tack was motor assist every time. The bigger the cat, the more help it needs to tack.

1 major point he missed was floatation. The boat has floatation built in. in all 4 corners making it unsinkable.

Definitely not a speed demon but not a slug either. If 90% of your cruising time is spent on anchor, I have a very nice home compared to a monhull.
Old 10-08-2024, 10:30   #39

What do you all think of Endeavor Victory 35 catamarans?

Tags
gemini, omc, pdq, PROUT