Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 15:27   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Input needed: New fridge system for our Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
TXG: QUOTE:
As this is a new system there should be no leak. My guess is that the red plastic caps have loosened when the system was shipped. Also, i don't understand why the filter dryer should be changed on a new system that has never run before. The technician just filled up R134a and now it works fine.
The ONLY reason a system requires gas added or total re-gas is because gas has leaked out and once that refrigerant leaks out air (along with moisture) can and does contaminate the system. This being new it could have been in a zero gas pressure situation with a leak for some time.
The tech should have located and repaired the leak, replacing the filter dryer and evacuated the system before adding refrigerant to suction gauge pressure.

Not following this correct procedure won't necessarily prevent the system from running but can greatly reduce its longevity and power efficiency.

If you are going to risk adding car air-con grade R134a refrigerant, at least avoid any cans that have any additives at all, regardless of how 'you bute' the wrap on the can says it is!

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems[/QUOTE]

Pete what do you recommend he do? Maybe you do not understand the mechanic does not speak English. And maybe a experienced tech is 1000 miles away. I have run training classes down island where mechanics make only ten dollars a day. Your advice is like telling him to shoot himself in the foot and he will feel better.

When we get a report back confirming system is performing well and no leaks Dehydration in a few months might be a good idea but defiantly not a replacement of filter dryer. Risking a solder to line is old school for suspect moisture.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 07:40   #47
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post

Maybe i should get a small can of r134a myself. Probably easier than paying the "pros" down here again and again.

That's what i did in the end (after the stupid technician didn't bother to show up as we had agreed on).

Filled up with R134A till the compressor pulled about 4amps at 2000rpm and the whole evaporator got cold. This was about ten weeks ago and since then the system is running very well. Currently it is only a fridge without freezer section because we would have to improve the the insulation of the lids before, right now it is only the factory lids with about 1 inch of insulation.
Old 27-08-2018, 08:21   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by txg View Post
That's what i did in the end (after the stupid technician didn't bother to show up as we had agreed on).

Filled up with R134A till the compressor pulled about 4amps at 2000rpm and the whole evaporator got cold. This was about ten weeks ago and since then the system is running very well. Currently it is only a fridge without freezer section because we would have to improve the the insulation of the lids before, right now it is only the factory lids with about 1 inch of insulation.
A simple way to get buy until lid insulation can be improved is fill five or six quart size Ziplock bags 1/2 full of Styrofoam packing peanuts. Place these insulating blanket bags on top of product in box. You will be surprised on the improved cooling and reduction in daily amps consumed.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour