Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2021, 11:49   #1

cheoy lee clipper 42

Hello, all learned Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 Owners!!

I recently became the caretaker of this 1972 model. BUT, no owner's manual. My current problem is looking at two identical fills, neither marked as to diesel or water. Those two liquids, not being interchangeable, forces me to ask if any of you have an owners manual indicating which is which. One is amidships, STB side and the other in the cockpit floor. I've read that one or both tanks are glassed into the keel. It's amazing how little info the is on the internets regarding construction, etc.

Can anybody help a brother out? Thanks in advance, Philipp
Popeye1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 15:36   #2

Re: cheoy lee clipper 42

Hello, Popeye -

I had the pleasure of owning a 1971 Clipper 33 for 11 years, in the 80's. Both of my filler caps were marked and on the starboard deck. I believe Fuel was aft of water -- but it was some time ago, so don't count on that. What I would count on is your nose: a good sniff test should do it. Or shove a 1/2 inch line down and see what it smells like when it comes back up.

I did or had done just about everything to my vessel and would like to warn you about one thing. When you mentioned glassed-in tanks, it reminded me that the steering system's turning blocks are also glassed-in to the hull. I had just finished a flawless repaint of the hull and cabin top and was sailing back up the coast from the yard to my marina, close reached in 10-15 knots, when one of the blocks ripped out of the hull. Fiberglass just gave way. A week later, the boat was back in the yard getting the blocks through bolted to exterior plates and a new finish applied over. If this hasn't been done to your beauty, I would certainly do it the next time it's out of the water, or before a long cruise.

Cheers. The Clippers are beautiful boats and tons of fun to sail.
jparriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 15:45   #3

Re: cheoy lee clipper 42

thanks. I decide right after I posted that would do the line down the filler test. I guess great minds think alike.
Popeye1921 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee