Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2021, 15:32   #1

Boat: Aeromarine, Triton (Pearson), 28.5
Hi from Texas

Hi! I have read some posts on this forum in the past but never registered. We purchased a Pearson Triton (actually built on the West Coast so it's technically an Aeromarine Triton) earlier this year in hopes of eventually sailing off into the sunset to wherever.
We are making a few changes and getting her ready in our backyard boat yard.
Since we were not close to ready to go, we decided we wanted to get a smaller boat that would be able to be transported on a trailer and this one is within a few inches of the legal limit. The reason for the trailer-ability was so that we could put the boat in the back yard for now while we get everything ready and get the boat ready and not have to travel to the coast (5 hours or more) to do anything to it, and pay fees for keeping it there.
We are in East Texas, not far from the Dallas area. Probably not a lot of cruisers in this area.
We do have a lot to accomplish before we can put her in the water, but the more I look into all that is involved in actually going somewhere, the more questions I have. So I thought I would join up here so I could ask questions rather than only reading for similar questions I might have and the answers that have been given already.
Significantly sized boat in the back yard... doesn't hide behind an 8 foot tall privacy fence at all. That is just slightly above the water line! lol
Todd_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 15:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hi from Texas

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Todd.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 17:16   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

You indicate you have an Aeromarine Triton (Pearson).
Triton was the boat model. Aeromarine and Pearson were different boat builders who built the Triton design.
Do you have a masthead rig (Aeromarine) or fractional (Pearson)?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Welcome.

You indicate you have an Aeromarine Triton (Pearson).
Triton was the boat model. Aeromarine and Pearson were different boat builders who built the Triton design.
Do you have a masthead rig (Aeromarine) or fractional (Pearson)?
I added the Pearson part because there seem to be less people that recognize the Aeromarine version and more are familiar with the East Coast version when I have mentioned "Triton".

It was built in Sausalito California at the AeroMarine Corporation in 1962. I do not know if all Aeromarine Tritons were masthead or not. This one had a new mast and boom installed by the previous owner. It is a fractional setup with the jumper strut but it also has 3 shrouds per side rather than what I have seen as the traditional two on the Pearson versions that have the fractional setup. Not sure why someone would swap from a masthead rig to fractional if that is what happened here, but I guess that would explain the additional chain plates?

Didn't Pearson end up purchasing AeroMarine at some point and changing some of the design that AweoMarine was using to the Pearson style?
Old 04-11-2021, 12:35   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_A View Post
I added the Pearson part because there seem to be less people that recognize the Aeromarine version and more are familiar with the East Coast version when I have mentioned "Triton".

It was built in Sausalito California at the AeroMarine Corporation in 1962. I do not know if all Aeromarine Tritons were masthead or not. This one had a new mast and boom installed by the previous owner. It is a fractional setup with the jumper strut but it also has 3 shrouds per side rather than what I have seen as the traditional two on the Pearson versions that have the fractional setup. Not sure why someone would swap from a masthead rig to fractional if that is what happened here, but I guess that would explain the additional chain plates?

Didn't Pearson end up purchasing AeroMarine at some point and changing some of the design that AweoMarine was using to the Pearson style?
According to SBDB Grumman owned both Pearson and Aeromarine, eventually. The decks on the AM boats were solid glass rather than cored and there was little or no wood trim on deck as well as most of them being masthead.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/triton-aeromarine.
Old 04-11-2021, 14:32   #6

Quote:
According to SBDB Grumman owned both Pearson and Aeromarine, eventually. The decks on the AM boats were solid glass rather than cored and there was little or no wood trim on deck as well as most of them being masthead.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/triton-aeromarine.
Yeah!! I was leaning toward the AM version because of the solid decks and less wood used. Figured it would make for less maintenance.
Old 04-11-2021, 15:40   #7

What do you mean, “leaning towards”? You don’t have the boat heat and are in process of buying? Or???
Old 08-11-2021, 08:12   #8

Quote:
What do you mean, “leaning towards”? You don’t have the boat heat and are in process of buying? Or???
No, sorry… when I was looking… I liked the Triton and was looking for the Aeromarine version. I did not want to worry about the cored decks and I liked the use of more fiberglass over wood that the Aeromarine version offered. I did get what I was looking for. Currently own an Aeromarine Triton. Number 163.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:27   #9

Oh, ok. Congrats, good boats.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:22   #10

Quote:
Oh, ok. Congrats, good boats.
Thank you! So far it appears to be pretty solid. I think I was thinking it would be a little larger, but small seems more manageable.

I also just purchased a Victoria Eighteen that I can use on the local lakes to hone my limited sailing skills, until I get the Triton ready and I can put her in somewhere that she can so somewhere.

Tags
texas