Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2023, 11:42   #1

Is the Dufour 530 a "bluewater" boat

Pros and cons of sailing this across the North Atlantic?

I am new to larger cruisers and am trying to learn what would work well for our family of 5 in both coastal and Atlantic crossing situations.

Many of the new "bluewater" boats seem so much lighter, wider, and faster than I would expect them to be...
Sabino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 11:59   #2

Re: Is the Dufour 530 a "bluewater" boat

These can cross, it all depends on the skills, expectations, preparation and overall planning.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 13:27   #3

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabino View Post
Many of the new "bluewater" boats seem so much lighter, wider, and faster than I would expect them to be...
Yes, they are all three of the elements you mentioned.
But nothing is free, always some trade-offs.
As they have a quicker motion and quicker response, the "groove" is narrower, and they are not as forgiving of less-than-ideal handling, they don't "take care of themselves" as much.
Old 17-05-2023, 17:05   #4

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I think you know your answer. Also check the specs. Just because they call it a “530” doesn’t mean it’s 53’ long. It’s actually less than 51. Based upon our 2 week charter of one, if you gave me one I’ d sell it.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 17:51   #5

Quote:

I am new to larger cruisers and am trying to learn what would work well for our family of 5 in both coastal and Atlantic crossing situations.

Pros
You can do it without any problem
Cons
There are a lot of boats better than this, for the same price (and maybe for less)

A 50ft(more) boat it's a big investment, if you are not sure, you'd better to charter as many models as you can, to find the one that fit you best
Old 17-05-2023, 18:13   #6

Quote:

Lighter, yes
Wider, yes
Faster, probably not...
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 13:53   #7
FBo

Boat: Dufour 530

Hi, I am an owner of a Dufour 530 so i i can share valid info you your request.
While a 530 is designed to perform in blue water, i would be careful to truly test the boat with coastal sailing before considering serious off shore.
I have endless trouble with my vessel and while i had initial support from my dealer & Dufour, i have no support from Dufour since last fall...
When working, boat is handling very well in all conditions. BUT i have inverter issues, electronics issues ( the main Dufour display board give wrong info on water level, fuel level, temperature, power source - Shore vs generator)... truster issue this spring - might be the DC to DC charger but no support - etc...

Fiberglass issues... Swim platform had to be re-glassed dur to poor quality from the factory and other aestethics "deceptions"... Real problem is that I still like my boat ! I only wished that DUFOUR was up to their reputation and offer faster and better service...

Best recommendation: go out and bareboat one before in order to make an educated decision !
FBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 05:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBo View Post
Hi, I am an owner of a Dufour 530 so i i can share valid info you your request.
While a 530 is designed to perform in blue water, i would be careful to truly test the boat with coastal sailing before considering serious off shore.
I have endless trouble with my vessel and while i had initial support from my dealer & Dufour, i have no support from Dufour since last fall...
When working, boat is handling very well in all conditions. BUT i have inverter issues, electronics issues ( the main Dufour display board give wrong info on water level, fuel level, temperature, power source - Shore vs generator)... truster issue this spring - might be the DC to DC charger but no support - etc...

Fiberglass issues... Swim platform had to be re-glassed dur to poor quality from the factory and other aestethics "deceptions"... Real problem is that I still like my boat ! I only wished that DUFOUR was up to their reputation and offer faster and better service...

Best recommendation: go out and bareboat one before in order to make an educated decision !
Thank you for this awesome insight. Quality issues would certainly put a damper on enjoying what looks to be a super nice layout, and what sounds like a very sea worthy vessel.

I have a charter set for Feb of next year in the Caribbean to get a feel for it.

If you were to buy one again, are there specific gear decisions, or pre-acceptance inspections, or anything else you would do to try and pre-emptivly identify address some of those quality issues and put them in Dufour’s court?
Sabino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 18:13   #9

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
If you were to buy one again, are there specific gear decisions, or pre-acceptance inspections, or anything else you would do to try and pre-emptivly identify address some of those quality issues and put them in Dufour’s court?

I'd caution you about which dealer you buy from. After our disaster of a charter a couple of years ago with Dream Yacht, I heard from several buyers that bought boats from them and had big issues. One Lagoon told me his boat was delivered to him with nearly $100K in options missing.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 03:38   #10

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

We just chartered a Dufour and Lagoon in Greece. I was on the Lagoon. The comment from the Dufore Captain (a very expensive delivery captain who has had his own 45 mono for years and delivers catamarans) said the Dufore was the cheapest, expensive boat he had ever seen. No end of problems and poor craftsmanshi; he was fixing it for 9 days to keep it tge charter running.....so I'd pass. Look at Privilidge, Antares and others of that ilk. ... unless you were the guy who cut me off in traffic last weekend, then I'd say buy the DeForest and pay anything to get it.

😃
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 00:21   #11

Boat: ask the judges!

If I take the 3 visits to Dufour at the last 3 (before and after Crona) BOOT Duesseldorf trade fairs alone as an evaluation, then I would never choose a Dufour for offshore.

Why?

The build quality and workmanship that I can see is often inadequate. Too many through-holes, catastrophic wiring, autopilot integration, general woodworking, gaps, creaking and squeaking.
That's just what you can see "on the surface". But I imply, then it's probably not really any better underneath.

Maybe I am wrong.
Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, Dufour, water