Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2023, 17:43   #1

Pearson 365/367

I have just run across the Pearson 365/367 series of boats. I'm honestly kind of blown away. I had basically dismissed Pearson except for the Triton, but I felt it was too small for my use. I would love to have a cutter-rigged boat. I think the staysail would be of more use than a furled genoa, but I also just think they are pretty to look at! I like the heavy displacement and roomy interior and skeg-hung rudder, but how sea-worthy are they? Are they an ocean-crossing boat or just a really overbuilt coastal cruiser? Prior to coming across the Pearsons, I was looking at a Contessa 32/35 but was worried about the osmosis in the 32’s and the spade rudder of the 35. Nicholson 32’s were also an idea. I know, I know; I probably should not be so worried about the spade rudder thing, but for some reason, I am really afraid of them. I am thinking about an Atlantic circuit with time spent in Newfoundland and maybe Scandinavia, and I am really curious if the 365/367 could handle it. Let me know your thoughts.
jerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 21:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Pearson 365/367

I have a 365. I wouldn't rule them out for not having blisters...mine does...about a dime size ones. Bill Shaw the designer drew this boat basically for himself. The boat is very seaworthy is regards to handling well under sail and power. I bought mine after cruising on my older Tartan 37, Ingrid 38 and Hallberg Rassy 35. So ask yourself what the difference is between Coastal and Open Ocean cruising. I do not believe one is any more dangerous than the other. But to listen to all the armchair wannabes in this forum, you would think that to take a Vega 27 or a Cal 25 into open ocean is insane...it's not. Maybe uncomfortable but that would be it if the boat was prepared properly. On the California coast, you can throw a run bottle with a note in it and it will end up unscathed in Mexico like any yacht that does the same thing. Countless years are wasted trying to find the perfect boat. It doesn't exist.

You spend 99.5% of your time cruising in an anchorage or slip. Your boat should be comfortable. My Pearson 365 has a walk in shower. That made the Misses happy. It has a 30ft. waterline. That made me happy. It has a reliable Westerbeke(Perkins)4-107 diesel. They are cheap to buy. The interiors have very little teak. I would like to have seen more but there is no upkeep. Shaw laid the interior out in a very skillful way. There is a lot you can do to improve them but basically they have good bones and no surprises. There is an active Facebook page for them.
The 365's are mostly Ketches and maybe 10% are sloops. Mine is a sloop with what is called a "Slutter" rig, meaning it has a part time inner forestay. The 367's are cutters. Basically the same hull as a 365 with a deeper, more fin like keel and a little more teak inside.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 21:51   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The Triton is classified a coastal cruiser. So is mine and just about every boat under 32 feet or so I bet. As celestial says, that classification usually has more to do with comfort than seaworthiness.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 18:40   #4

Boat: Pearson 365

I had a 365 sloop. It’s a very well behaved cruiser and comfortable to live on. Windward performance is not sparkling, but you will sparkle after emerging from its walk-in shower. It’s a really comfortable cruiser, but needs 10-15 kat breeze to get moving. Handles surprisingly well in tight quarters under power. The 4-108/Westerbeke 40 is a dirt simple cheap to run and repair old school diesel. You could rebuild it anywhere in the world for very short money.
jpendoley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 19:27   #5

I have read in other posts that the tanks are made of steel and are hard to get at. Did you find that to be true?
Old 15-09-2023, 00:36   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerski View Post
I have read in other posts that the tanks are made of steel and are hard to get at. Did you find that to be true?

Mine had been replaced at one point. Not sure they were steel or aluminum. I read on the FB page that people remove the engine to replace them. I think that is fool-hardy. I think the best way would be to remove the pedestal steering and cut the cockpit floor out (8 hour job), remove the tank and replace that way and re-glass in (another 8 hours). Look...every boat has it's deal. The other problem is the mast sits on a steel mast step in the keel where salt water accumulates. I'm working on that now.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 04:07   #7

Boat: Pearson 365

Fuel tank was aluminum if I remember correctly. The water tanks (3) were glass. I replaced my fuel tank when I rebuilt the engine. Kind of a no brainer.
As for cutting out the cockpit floor, we’ll the pedestal sits above the fuel tank so adds a little complexity, but as far as fuel tank removals go the 365 is fairly simple. Can’t stress enough how simple and reliable the 4-108 is. Sized just right for the boat, pushes it really well with reserve power if needed.
I sold mine for a. 424 as I needed the aft cabin, but I do miss the simplicity of the 365. There is a ketch listed in Marblehead Mass. for 20k that I drove by and thought it looked like a really clean and well kept boat. Short money for what amounts to a great cruiser.
jpendoley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 06:02   #8

For someone who is on a fairly strict budget a 20k 36-footer sounds lovely, but I wonder what the surveyor would find. I am down to two boats on my list and the 365 is one of them, one of the reasons is it's the engine... not to mention I think a ketch would be great.
Old 20-09-2023, 17:48   #9

Does the Pearson 367 suffer from the same mast corrosion that seems to be very prevalent in the 365?
Old 23-10-2023, 15:34   #10

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I'm a 367 owner. Love the boat, and it is very seaworthy. I am in final stages of getting it ready to sail to South America in 2024-2025. Re-powered with Beta 35. I've replaced the fuel tank and the water tanks, and I pulled out the holding tank and replaced the standard marine head with a Nature's Head. New Lofrans Tigres windlass, new Frigoboat fridge / compressor, and I put the staysail on a furler. A lot of re-wiring to ABYC standards. Almost ready.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Contessa 32, Contessa 35, pearson, pearson 365, pearson 367