Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2023, 16:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Main rudder seal leaks on Dufour 50 glass yacht

The rear seal on my rudder leaks a few litres a day with waves. (It is just above the waterline.) The rudder is an unsupported fin, with a large bearing where it meets the boat, a quadrant just above that, and a smaller bearing above the quadrant.

No obvious reason.

Any way to seal it up without pulling the boat out? And what is involved in fixing it if that is needed? Are these types of bearings even available?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w5V3CguqUmNJabSQA

Thanks,

Anthony

aberglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2023, 17:59   #2

Re: Main rudder seal leaks on Dufour 50 glass yacht

Looks like you have a self aligning JP3 bearing. I have similar setup on my boat.

There is a possibility that you can get away by just rebuilding the bearing and changing the seals, but based on the volume of water coming through, you most likely need to replace the whole bearing.

Regardless of if it is just a rebuild with new seals or brand new bearing, you will need to haul the boat. For both operations you will need to drop the rudder and remove the bearing.

Obviously rebuilding is significantly cheaper than a new bearing. If you need a new one and it is a JP3 bearing, they are mostly custom made, expensive and have long delivery times.
Sailorboy FIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 03:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Main rudder seal leaks on Dufour 50 glass yacht

Thanks. So if water is getting into the bearing itself, I suppose it will rust. Smooth for now, hopefully will not catastrophically fail before I get it out.

But what you are saying is that my boat may need to be on the hard for a long time. Not good.
aberglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour, leaks, rudder, yacht